Wasn't planning on going skiing today but a friend called me up and said he was off to Gunma so I looked at the weather - it said sunny - and thought why not.

Brilliant day over there. Fantastic weather for most of the day and was very pleased to not be disappointed with the views up top.

The resort is pretty fun too. It's not fully open yet - the steeper courses don't have enough snow but I'll be going back when it is. Snow quality was very good. Great first day out.

muikabochi_1984.JPG

muikabochi_1982.JPG

muikabochi_1981.JPG

muikabochi_1980.JPG

muikabochi_1979.JPG

muikabochi_1977.JPG

muikabochi_1976.JPG

muikabochi_1973.JPG

muikabochi_1974.JPG

My fisheye and wide angle lenses always seem to give me brilliant contrast on days like today, I love those lenses. I also took out my new 16-85mm Nikkor with a polarizing filter today and messed around with that for some shots. I am very happy with that new lens, it's very sharp. I also did a bit of messing around with other settings when taking the shots, which is unlike me - I'm usually just point and shoot. Got some interesting results from that but lots of laughably bad ones too!

There was some excellent contrast out there today, perfect for taking the kind of photos I like to take. I didn't really adjust those pics much apart from the b/w ones, adjusting some brightness and stuff and doing some cutting.

[pie-eater - no, I paid for a ticket!]

Very nice!

The polarizer certainly helps with contrast I think but it can make the sky a little unnaturally dark blue (cool if that's the look you're after). I made the mistake of using a polarizer at high altitude in South America, the sky was damned near black! That was pre-digital days too...

Thanks. The sky was actually quite a deep blue at times today and I was hoping they would come out like that. We basically stayed at the top of the gondola for about an hour as the fast moving clouds took on different shapes. It is really beautiful up there, took over 300 photos. Loads of fun! dance

Some were more insipid looking. I just chose these deep blue ones, thought they looked really nice and like I said very little playing around on the computer.

I was there yesterday too.

It was much more comfortable than Kazawa on the 19th. It was minus 11 and snowing at Kazawa on Saturday, but it was zero degrees and sunny at Malnuma on Sunday. What a great resort. They didn't have many park items out yet, though.

SKI, it was quite crowded yes.

Aargh, two days of riding back to back has left me so stiff I can barely move!

It was fairly busy. About 5-10 minutes wait for the Gondola. The narrow course connecting the top bit with the bottom got a bit crowded at times, though I would imagine it is less than that -- some of the other courses connecting are closed so once they open up there will be less bottleneck. I presume so anyway.

Setting the bar pretty high mate. I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to take my camera up on the hill here in Niseko because of too much snow! I need a clear day coz I'm not interested in getting snow on the camera. Really glad to see the photos of this resort too because I won tickets from the last snowjapan weekly prize. Cheers!

Me too Black Mountain. I don't take the camera out if it's snowing... maybe just take the cheap digicam on one of those days, though recently I haven't even been out there when it's doing much more than light snow.

Hope to see some Black Mountain. I'm totally keen on seeing any snapshots, no need to be worried about any bar other than the ones selling beer. cheers It's just my hobby to take scenery photos.