Buddy and I decided to give Happo a try this year for NYE. We're looking into staying at 'The Lab' and doing 3 days of riding (31st, 2nd and 3rd) but will Happo be 'happening' by then? Seems to be getting a lot of snow now and is gonna be subzero indefinitely, but can I count on a pretty open mountain come the wee hours of 2010? Also, I've heard there are parts of Happo that are limited to skiers only, is this true? And if so, how many and how good are the paths closed off to me?

And has anyone had any experience dealing with 'the lab'? Prices are incredibly cheap given the time of year...

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
im spending NYE around happo, i was told its not too busy but its nice and fun.

Guess we'll probably be seeing you there then! And I heard the same as well, I have a buddy that used to be a snowboard instructor at Hakuba 47 and he was telling me that Happo is pretty sparce even on very busy days mainly do to how monsterous it is. He's gonna be coming up to ride with us on the 3rd as well, absolutely amazing rider!

well on the first day im there im going to be putting my gf in a ski lesson while i give the forcarsted snow a good test smile

if you see anyone with smith pink/blue goggles just ask razz

im staying at windjacket lodge, its meants to be pretty close to happo one lifts 100-200m

Originally Posted By: ShayDn
Gonna keep an eye on the forecast then... need to book flights from Beijing - so will make a go/no-go call tomorrow I think.
the forecasts look promising but i would buy a plane ticket on them, imo wait it and see if it does then if it does come the week after

Speaking from my experience last year - I don't think any parts of Happo are skiers only. Looking at the forecast, I think everything will be fully open on new year - unless it pours with rain after Christmas - not looking likely. New year will be busy - expect BIG queues for the Gondola in the morning, and also on the quad(?) lifts to take you up the mountain on the side nearest Goryu/47 - you could easily be waiting an hour at these places at the peak time in the morning. However, once you are up the mountain there are plenty of lifts and you shouldn't be waiting too long in most places - just don't go right back to the bottom in the morning! Not sure about 8 km long paths - maybe a cat track? In any case going from top to bottom non-stop will most likely have your legs burning!

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
I really don't want to go saying too much in public probably said too much as it is. It's just not exactly an upmarket place, is it.
I hope you enjoy it.

ah k fair enough, im not there for a 5 class get-a-way im there for the snow! ill be spending little time there and more time at the bar imo, its just a bed and breakfast, thats it!
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Happo can definitely get busy. As Gary said the gondola at the bottom can be a nightmare. If you are a boarder you might want to think about going someplace else. It's a fun enough place though!

do you only need to catch the Gondola once to get to the top so I will be alright to ski most the runs without catching it again ?

Actually, there are other ways to the top without taking the gondola. You'll get a good feel for the place once you are there. Everywhere is going to be kind of busy at that new years... unavoidable really. The waits aren't that bad though!

Marketing people tend to have a knack of spouting bullshit and twisting stuff in order to get you there wink

That 8km at Suginohara is all well and good but there's only about 2km of it that I want.