Now to some actual snowboarding pics....

This morning I headed to Nanshan which is about 80km out of Beijing. It was an absolute bargain. 30Y for the bus trip right to the resort and 110Y for the ticket. That's about $20 Aus.

Now as we were driving along I was a tad stressed as there wasn't any snow on the peaks so I was wondering WTF the day was going to be like. Perhaps jumping rocks and grass like my last and I mean last trip to Falls CK. Well all my fears were unfounded and I had a great day reacquainting myself with how to ride a board and what it feels like to slam on the groomers.

Without further ado and piss poor attempts to post pics, here's a couple from today.

This first pic doesn't show all the runs as there were are few off to the side for beginners but this gives an overview from the very top. You can see why I was worried when we were in the bus smile

panhead_pete_2.JPG

There was a rough pipe and three sets of kickers, all the rails etc were down in the carpark, stacked up......

panhead_pete_3.JPG

I kept looking at this all day thinking I should huck off it it, it looked like really nice soft powder... it wasn't. Really icy and hard....

panhead_pete_5.JPG

Not sure what these were but they were yummy.

panhead_pete_6.JPG

Now this is apparently the best resort near Beijing and it was a great day to get back on a board after several years of not riding. Now it will obviously never be a pow place but if are in Beijing and want to ride/ski it was heaps of fun. Feel free to ask any questions you may want to and I'll see if I can answer them smile

Yup - 100% man made. On the rare occasions that it does actually snow, they get a bit confused and aren't quite sure what to do with it...

The most troubling aspect of it all is how brown and dry the farms next to the slopes (and all around Beijing really). All the water they hoard for making snow could easily help the farms to grow more crops, but hey - people gotta ride right?

There is also an indoor place near Beijing called QiaoBo - hate to think how much energy they consume in Summer when it's 38°C outside and -1°C inside...

Originally Posted By: ShayDn
Yup - 100% man made. On the rare occasions that it does actually snow, they get a bit confused and aren't quite sure what to do with it...

lol

Actually they have one really steep mogul course from the top of the mountain. On a soft day - it's pretty good fun, and the lift is only used for that part of the mountain so you never get any queues. Although you get the occasional falling skier/snowboarder whizzing up to you from behind... and I once had to pull a kid back on to the slope with his pole after he'd slid through the netting at the side of the run :-o

Well was going to go ride at the Bird's nest today but got a nice little head cold and a cough so am going to stay nice and warm today and try and look after myself before lying to Xian tonight. Would have just done it to say I have anyway so no real point in that. If I take the job will try and hit it next time through Beijing. Merry Xmas everyone.