Originally Posted By: gaijindrifter
Thanks for the positive reinforcement, but what do you mean by 'cat track'? I'm fairly new...

I rode a 160 normal last year and it was just too much board. I barely have enough mass to push my current 156w into the snow, couldn't imagine a 165w... thanks for making me feel not so tall anymore! haha

a cat track is those really thin winding paths that aren't really a piste, they are more access paths that connect wider gerende's
Originally Posted By: WallyD
Yes, you are too tall to ride. Nobody over 5'6 is allowed to ride in Japan. That's the law.

Aww thats just rubbish Wally. I'm 5'7 and rode this year!!

(then again, my knees were bent, perhaps I broke the law and got away with it!! lol

I am 192cm tall and weigh between 120 and 125kg...

I have 3 boards that I use regularly

1. Burton Baron ES - 168 cm. I use that mainly in Oz on the hard packed snow/groomers. Also used it in Hakuba last year as limited new snow.

2. Burton Super model - 172cm. Good mix of a board to use on groomers but also good if we get a dump of snow as gives me the opportunity to get it on TOP of the snow and not under it!

4. Nitro Sabre Swallow tail - 181cm. This is AWESOME for the BIG dumps of snow in places like Niseko, and also for Heliboarding... Being the size and weight that I am, I find it the best for pure powder riding, as other powder boards (such as Burton Fish etc) are just not big enough for me.... Mind you, when you end up on a groomer... It ain't fun!

So... Don't feel like you are big... You are a light weight!

wow, you ride a 168cm on groomers and you're shorter than me. Hope I haven't undershot with a 165cm. But I didn't want something that would hamper quick turns through tree runs. Also it's very wide for my 30.5cm feet and that's the longest they make in that model.

I'm 6'5 and weigh 220lbs (so about 193cm and 99kg) and I ride around 165. You'll be fine. It's all about the board feeling stable and being able to do what u want to with it. Wouldn't stress too much. Like most things your preferences will evolve over time.

Tripler... You and SantaCruz are taller, but I am a BIG bloke... You are at least 25kg lighter than me (if you get back to 95kg) and Santa Cruz is 99kg... to my 120-125kg...

I can ride my board fine thru the trees as well, but as SantaCruz says it's all about feeling stable and doing what you want to do with it..

I am happy to go into the park, but being close to 40 years old, I just want to jump and land without being tricky... Whereas, some people want to spin and flick etc..

I am sure if I wasn't such a big fella, I probably wouldn't need to worry about having such big boards...

As for the original post though about someone being too tall (or big)... Definitely NOT!!! Doesn't matter what size you are... As long as you enjoy it, and at the end of the day have a beer with the crew... That's what boarding is all about!

I think you would want to be pretty tall if your going to niseko or else you will lose yourself in the deep POW! I myself am at 180cm 90kg and I wouldnt mind being abit shorter and lighter, it would make it alot easier in the air and you would go slower on the steep runs smile I pick up way too much speed compared to some of my mates.

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
I think you would want to be pretty tall if your going to niseko or else you will lose yourself in the deep POW!

We are already teasing our 10yr old about packing his snorkel.

And his light weight made it horrendously hard to make it up the inclines in Switzerland - dang that place is designed for skiers in places!! (or as a test of the scientific calculations of speed/inertia that a snowboarder can make at the top.)

Your size will be in your favor - AFTER you stop falling over every 5 minutes. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: grantj71
Tripler... You and SantaCruz are taller, but I am a BIG bloke... You are at least 25kg lighter than me (if you get back to 95kg) and Santa Cruz is 99kg... to my 120-125kg...

Good point, grant. Height is irrelevant, just on average taller people weigh more. Though big feet come into play. A wide board may need to be longer to be as responsive as a narrower one.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Your size will be in your favor - AFTER you stop falling over every 5 minutes. thumbsup

Well normally riding I never fall, assuming no one is 'distracting' my view banner

That being said as of this year I've switched to a park board so I'm falling down every 5 minutes ago, though this it's while attempted sic trix party

And as for the height comment, it has almost nothing to do with board length and all to do with your c.o.g. and mine is absolutely boned, don't know how you 190cm+ guys do it, I'm already on the edge of beyond control! And my board is the shortest I could find in a wide (29cm boot) but I'm still barely on the recommend weight range (Ride suggests 65-80kg and I'm spot on 65) and I can feel it at times omg
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Well normally riding I never fall, assuming no one is 'distracting' my view banner

I didn't mean to insinuate that YOU fall every 5 minutes...it was more of a general observation for someone tall (or anyone really) learning to board. I know I spent the majority of my day on my arse/back/face when I was learning! Most often on my face. Most often heavily and rapidly on my face.

I finally found my way onto here.

I'm 194 cm and ride a Ride DH2 157cm board. I feel comfortable on it and (if I wasn't trying to do crazy stuff) I don't fall down.

Is there some sort of rule about board length? Wouldn't weight be a more important factor than height when choosing board length?

I reckon weight is the major factor with flex which usually is associated with board length.

I am 58~60 kg and I ride a Salomon Burner 157. I am 170 cm

This is my favorite freeride board, it's directional, with a inch setback. I would be too light to ride something like a Nitro Pantera of the similar length because it's too stiff for me.

The length is about how much effective edge I can have over icy steeps and how fast and stable I want to go. I am even willing to go 160 with a similar flex and wider tip for pow.

I also have a SantaCruz 151 cm centred, Twin Tip freestyle board And it's great for hitting natural quater pipes, snaking thru moguls ... it's very loose. I wouldn't like anything shorter.

I would like to add that my riding style and technique is different with these 2 boards. I would even say that the boards have shaped me how to ride it. I mean if one thing worked with a board and doesn't with the other, you would be stupid to do the same way over and over again, right? You adapt. Like you do with snow conditions.

I was wondering if there are any other freakishly tall big-foot riders out there and how you compensate for your over-wellendowedness wakaranai

Count me in. I just go out there and have fun. Seems to work!