My buddy and I the other day came to the realization that we are massive compared to 99% of the boarders we see in Japan. I was wondering if there are any other freakishly tall big-foot riders out there and how you compensate for your over-wellendowedness wakaranai

And for reference I am 186cm/66kg and my buddy is around 194cm/85kg and we're both riding 156/7 freestyle boards.

Do we just gotta get lower? More prepatory power squats? Pilates? omg

Ditto...

You guys must be plenty skinny wink

I'm 185cm and 100kg if I was 90kg I would just be skin, bone and muscle (fact; because I was once violin ) he he.

I ride a 166cm Burton custom with a size 13(US) boot, I find it is fine at standard width.

Being shorter is better in many respects, catch an edge and you have a higher CoG and therefore a larger moment = double ouch doh lol

Forget about it, you will never know what it is like to be short so there should not be a problem... in any case.... wall squats (back against the wall slide up and down LOTS and LOTS)

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I'm in the bean pole club too. I'm 186cm at 80kg.
A couple of the guys I ride with are taller than me. We look rediculous in a crowd of Japanese.

I feel ya! My buddy and I were the only two foreigners on the mountain making it even more awkward. I think the Japanese know to steer clear of us though, haha~

Though I think there is one pretty big advantage to being bigger... more force equals bigger sprays wink

And as for board size, I rode a 160 Rossignol standard with last season and it was just too big for me and it felt like driving a boat. The shorter board in the wide model was the only way I could have good control and toe clearance at the same time. Another big problem is that unlike my buddy I have a very neutral stance (+7 left, +4 right) so my 29cm boots pop out even more
Originally Posted By: thursday
I'm 182 and my weight goes from 75 to 82kg. And I feel short at Niseko.

I've never been but my buddy and I ran into a couple Airforce guys that say it's 99% Aussies up there, I take it that's about correct?

The SE Aisan contingent is getting bigger and bigger each year. They don't generally stay out to all hours drinking though, so late in the evening the bars are certainly over represented by those from Aus.

Originally Posted By: gaijindrifter
no, it's only 96%

It's hard enough being around just one (my buddy's from the Gold Coast)... don't know if I'll be able to stand all that aussie-ness...

where do you hail from GD?
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
no, it's only 96%

It's hard enough being around just one (my buddy's from the Gold Coast)... don't know if I'll be able to stand all that aussie-ness...

I'm American clap

More specifically I'm from Detroit, Michigan, 3rd highest murder rate and in case you're wondering why we're not 1st or 2nd it's cause we're the 2nd fattest city in the country wavey

I feel short and small at 180cm and 85kg's.

The South African emigrating to Oz are huge.

My relies fought against the Japanese and they were told they were all small but the Japanese I skied with in NZ were tall.

There are some tall Japanese, but I usually board in the less populated areas where the crowd tends to be a little older... I would definitely like to see a Japanese as tall as I am trying to board, really curious as to whether or not he looks nearly as awkward as I do haha

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
no, it's only 96%

I'm American clap

More specifically I'm from Detroit, Michigan, 3rd highest murder rate and in case you're wondering why we're not 1st or 2nd it's cause we're the 2nd fattest city in the country wavey

Or it's because Baltimore is the scariest place on earth smile

If you are white you don't leave the inner harbor
hijack

I'm 195cm (6'5") and used to weigh 95+ kg but lost a stone when I came to Japan cos everything's in tiny packets. Centre of gravity is a factor for riding. If you're pushing yourself, bend the knees. Height's an advantage for weight - you can outstrip everyone on the cat track.

I rode a cheap 162cm Ignio (Sports Depo own brand) for 2 seasons and it was fine except for some slush toe-drag. Now about to put a 165cm wide board through its paces.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, but what do you mean by 'cat track'? I'm fairly new...

I rode a 160 normal last year and it was just too much board. I barely have enough mass to push my current 156w into the snow, couldn't imagine a 165w... thanks for making me feel not so tall anymore! haha