Originally Posted By: miller
Quote:
Heavy snowfall, blizzard, just doesn't quite convey the same idea.

What, you mean the rad dude-ness of some words?

Heavy snowfall seems good to me.

Heavy snowfall is like, it dumped. But a dump suggests a major event which lasted a fixed amount of time and has now finished. Can't think of any other words in snow speak which mean that.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, like I said

we are going nuts ...

Go and be an eskimo for a while ... you might pick up some vocab

I heard they have like 50 words to describe snow.

There are more words in Japanese that describes rain than in English.

English sucks in situations like this.

what a dump you are living in

Plenty of descriptors in Sign Language, but again it get's lost in translation to English.

I think perhaps in English the amount or extraordinary nature of the 'dump' is conveyed via vocal intonation, facial expressions and body language or the surrounding context of the sentence in which the word 'dump' is contained.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Nuking- It has been nuking snow on Snowbird for the past 40 hours

Im prolly one of the few on here who wouldnt like that after living in Hiroshima for a long time. Too many friends who were survivors of the bomb and their stories will bring you to your knees...but thats just me.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Hakuba got seriously jizzed on last night. It's jizzing like mad outside. It jizzed bucket loads yesterday... It has potential, don't you think?

Depends if the snow starts to jizz in your face?

rollabout rollabout
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Nuking- It has been nuking snow on Snowbird for the past 40 hours

Im prolly one of the few on here who wouldnt like that after living in Hiroshima for a long time. Too many friends who were survivors of the bomb and their stories will bring you to your knees...but thats just me.

Believe me I meant no disrespect by that. Just a term used here, I will make sure not to use it in Japan ashamed

Not in my dictionary, it doesn't. Dump means to deposit a large amount of waste, if you want to get anal about it and go that route, that's YOUR problem. It's another of those insidious Americanisms for natural actions that they don't want to talk about -

Like bathroom for toilet! I haven't got a bath in my loo, Wouldn't fit in there for even a small splash, come to think of it.

Why do they hhave to redefine perfectly useful words to mean something not intended? examples - gas - for a liquid fuel derived from petroleum oil (hence the rest of the world calls it petrol), bathroom - for toilet, "Reality show" - for the most unreal TV you'll ever watch!

grandpa

Originally Posted By: JA
Not in my dictionary, it doesn't. Dump means to deposit a large amount of waste, if you want to get anal about it and go that route, that's YOUR problem. It's another of those insidious Americanisms for natural actions that they don't want to talk about -

Like bathroom for toilet! I haven't got a bath in my loo, Wouldn't fit in there for even a small splash, come to think of it.

Why do they hhave to redefine perfectly useful words to mean something not intended? examples - gas - for a liquid fuel derived from petroleum oil (hence the rest of the world calls it petrol), bathroom - for toilet, "Reality show" - for the most unreal TV you'll ever watch!
grandpa

So I guess "unit 731ing" is not cool with you either, JA?
Originally Posted By: mikelowry
My vote goes to 'Jizz' Then instead of 'snow groomers' we can have 'jizz moppers' !

OK..

So they are "snow groomers".
I have also heard "piste bashers"

any others while we are on snow terminology...