The first year I came here was the first time I'd ever seen snow in my life so I have no idea what snow conditions are like anywhere else and I'm really considering an extended trip to NZ next year to chase the snow season there.

How does the snow in New Zealand compare to here?

Do they get similar conditions to Japan? As in, lots and lots of powder?

If anyone has been to the Taranaki area I'd love to know if it's any good...simply because that area gets good surf and it's not to far to travel from snow to surf and back.

Thanks for your input.

Im from Taranaki and there is good surf and MT Egmont/Taranaki is close but the resort is only a small club field and nothing great but the top tow is steep and fun. 3 hours away is Mt Ruapehu and its got 2 large resorts(Turoa and Whakapapa) and Ohakune at the base of the mountain is a pretty good little town. The snow is not as good as Japan and can get pretty Icy and the mountain can often be closed due to high winds but the terrain is great. I think they had about 5 meters of snow last season and the season ends usually mid November.

NZ can get some good snow but it's nowhere near as consistent and plentiful as we usually get in Japan. Also pretty much all NZ resorts have no trees whatsoever so are very exposed and prone to shutting down for days on end when a storm hits.

The south island of NZ really doesn't compare well to Japan in terms of snow, occasional good days but it's just not the same. Better parks than Niseko though. Queenstown is a fantastic town with loads of stuff to do apart from skiing. Also it's skiing in the summer so you can't really complain! I thought I'd be spoilt heading back there after last season in Hirafu but I still loved it.

The skiing is great, its warmish weather. somedays it can be icy and some other days it can be soft.

i've never been to japan yet but i will find out in 10 days but the temperates are alot colder in japan than in NZ

I think the South Island of New Zealand is very pretty but as for the skiing, bad days out number good days. Snow is really hit and miss and you have to drive about 45mins up the side of a mountain to get to the resorts everyday. Conditions are usually icy as with no tree cover the mountains get hammered by winds.

Mt Hutt = Mt Shut because of how often it is closed due to the strong winds.

If you like skiing ice then NZ may be for you. I know there is a Japanese gentleman who goes nearly every year because he loves the ice!!! clap

Went to Wanaka in sep '04

The snowline is high but the snow was OK considering it wasn't after a freshy.

There were a lot of Japanese boarders staying at backpacker's for the season and tickets were cheap then.

NZ is popular with the Japanese (and Argentinan and Brazillian)

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
NZ heli-skiing is probably better than Japan in terms of development. Craigieburn's terrain is as good as it gets anywhere. However, for general piste skiing, I don't think NZ is in the same league as Japan.

I did a day in the Heli out of QT in July. We had a great 'dump' of 30-50 cm a day or two before. The guides were raving about the 'powder'. To me it was just snow.

Japan will spoil you for life.
Originally Posted By: thursday
since when did NZ move to south America?

since Mr Singh asked for advice regarding Chile and argentina....which are in South America, where Mike Pow has in fact had a stint sliding doh

Thanks. Was always wondering if I should head down to South America. A buddy of mine and I plan to visit and board as many continents/land masses (with decent resorts/terrain) as much as we can before we hang up our boards.

Went to the Wanaka region in 2006, including some Heli... great terrain, huge mountains, but in terms of snow I've definitely been spoiled in Japan. 2005/2006 was tremendous in Japan too.. with resorts in Nagano/Niigata getting 50cm dumps every other day. :o

On the list: Russia, the Euro Alps, south America.. and of course heli at Valdez and Nepal. Now to find 2 more jobs so that I can save enough. biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I understand alot better now after all that input. Much appreciative!

Now I'm all kind of bummed... I was hoping the conditions might be better than what it sounds like from all your input.

I HATE ice! Give me powder surfing all day everyday.

At least the Taranaki area gets more regular quality waves than here huh? I could probably just go surfing and time the days on the mountain to the post storm hike days.

Agian thanks to all.

I'm not at all sure that the input so far accurately represents conditions in NZ, esp the Sth Island.

I've only been there once, and that was in Oct. Up high where I was skiing on a glacier the snow was excellent. Certainly not thigh deep powder but I would expect earlier in the season there would be resorts with plenty of it. Not thigh deep but certainly enough to be amusing.

I'm hearin' ya Ziggy.

I think the only way is to go have a look and see what it's like for me.

My dream is to be able to get good surf and good snow within a couple hours drive of each other. If I find such a place I'll be sure to make it my next home...