So I have what seems like it could be a stupid question in hindsight but then you never know till you ask and get ridiculed...

I ski with contact lens and I find that even with the goggles, my eyes tend to dry out with the wind that gets into the mask and its pretty damn annoying to suddenly get distracted by not being able to see properly.

Anyway, during the summer I found the fantastic world of swimming goggles with corrective lens and it recently occurred to me that they might work well for skiing...

They seem like they’d keep a lot more of the wind out but my major concern would be if they are like glasses in that collisions tend to make them shatter with potential consequences for my eyes.

Anyone ever of heard of them being used or know anything about it?

I believe using swimming goggles would tend to fog up alot. You can buy some decent goggles that go over your glasses pretty cheap and by cheap I mean 80 aus. When I get home I will find some good ones for you

As Creek Boy said you can get ski goggles with a prescription built in, but before doing that perhaps try out a different pair of goggles with the contacts. I've got pretty dry eyes too, but have never had any problems with skiing with contacts and goggles, so I'm thinking the goggles you're using could be the problem.

Using the swimming goggles could be an option too but I think you'd get ridiculed for that unless it was a really deep powder day and had a snorkel to go with the goggles; in that case most people would think you were really core.

Sure I wouldn't be minding the ridicule.

As my Mother always says "you can call me whatever you like, as long as you don't call me early in the morning"

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into it when i get a chance.

For the minute, heading up to Niseko for the weekend so think I'll throw the swimming goggles in too.

You never know, they might be the best thing since sliced bread.

Originally Posted By: borstal
Sure I wouldn't be minding the ridicule.
As my Mother always says "you can call me whatever you like, as long as you don't call me early in the morning"

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into it when i get a chance.
For the minute, heading up to Niseko for the weekend so think I'll throw the swimming goggles in too.

You never know, they might be the best thing since sliced bread.

just dont forget to spit in them first, like you do when you're swimming lol
Originally Posted By: resortguy
Problem with them is so so big, the Smith one I had previously. Maybe they changed since then

My Swanns are regular sized. But my glasses are wire rim, don't know how well the goggles work with framed glasses.

There's this one dude in Iiyama who is often skiing at Nozawa and he has the most enormous goggles you can imagine. Almost the size of a space helmet. Reason being they are to cover his already enormous glasses. Decent bloke but doesn't half looks silly!

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
MMmmmmmm!!! hijack sorry

Talking of Smiths I am looking at getting some Smith IOS has anyone got any opinions to help out???

Yup, have had a couple pairs. Keep in mind these are REALLY big goggles. IF you like a crowbar esque fit then these will be your choice. They are a bit bigger than the crowbar.

I would definitely say go for it, I have a picture of me wearing them somewhere but I don't have a huge head so it may not do justice. smile