Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Yes I am.
It is snowing high up but it is heavy rain in Hakuba.
Don't believe me if you don't want.

And perhaps you should just calm down a little with your constant daily panic posts.

I do vote, a few times a day when I can.

Did you only read a line of what I said? I wasnt doubting you at all,i think you need to calm down
Originally Posted By: Korbzy
Some people are so stupid. Ok whats with this, when its a nice clear day some idiot spams blizzards.but when its snowing(check webcams) snow has come down and they dont vote anything, Hakuba 47 had no snow at all yesterday now look at it! Either they were trying to use reverse psychology or just dumb

Skiing is about 2 things Korbzy - powder and the beers after a day of skiing. Maybe 3 if you count chick-pulling factor but there's other variables involved in that, so we'll stick to the pow for now. The length of time pow lasts will depend on 2 things - weather and the number of people skiing it. Rain and wind are powders enemies, but there is little we can do to control this. The number of people skiing the pow is indirectly proportional to how long it will last; i.e. the more people skiing it, the less time it will last. Therefore it is in most skiiers interests to "protect" the pow from other skiiers by using a sort of reverse psychology as you mentioned.

And yes, some people are dumb too. I include myself in this group .
Originally Posted By: Hotaka Scott
The length of time pow lasts will depend on 2 things - weather and the number of people skiing it.

Hotaka Scott, how long would pow last with ideal weather conditions and noone skiing on it? Intuitively I feel that at some point it would develop a crust.

^^^ In a perfect world the pow would last forever under ideal weather conditions and no one skiing it. But as you pointed out tripler, a crust would develop over time. This however is usually caused by wind (not ideal weather) and/or sun. There's nothing better than skiing on a bluebird day but unfortunatly the sun that accompanies these days usually causes some melting of the top of the pow and when temps dip lower in the evening it freezes up and creates a thin crust. But if it's sunny and extremely cold, the suns powers lose out to the coldness and the pow will remain as pow.

Who said im panicing, im just enquiring and of course its not going 2 change anything, but I just like to be update on things, every afternoon I check the cams, this doesnt mean shit all now because im not even there but I like to see how things are going. If you have a problem with that well then ignore me and my posts because im not here to listen to people criticise me on my ways. So I would appreciate if you stick to the topic or dont post. Thankyou.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Well it's cold down in Kansai and there's plenty of precipitation so chances are that it's snowing somewhere.

cold? it feels like 14 or 15 degrees outside. It sure is windy though! I thought my house was going to blow away there for a bit.

A dusting of snow at Thredbo in DECEMBER?!!!!

[ahh well I suppose the brides will think it is quite cool - it is Wedding season up there]

Glad to hear there is something cold, wet and occasionally white falling on Hakuba. Hope it is the beginning of a big dump for you guys down there.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Well it's cold down in Kansai and there's plenty of precipitation so chances are that it's snowing somewhere.

cold? it feels like 14 or 15 degrees outside. It sure is windy though! I thought my house was going to blow away there for a bit.

Well I'm a bit of a pussy so it feels cold to me!

fwiw, Kashimayari has signs up saying they're open. I've not been in years, but I think its a short course with man-made snow at the top of the front bit you can see from 148. Must be pretty rough up there with a cross between sleet and very very wet snow. In Hakuba itself, when the clouds lift its kind of white down to near town level. Maybe 950-1000m.

I also saw a car with wet snow on earlier on.

• 2 months later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

We have systems in place to check this numerous times daily so we are on the case. I would suggest it is probably best to email/PM us if you think something is going on rather than post here. Thanks.