Originally Posted By: thursday
... Materialistic, very expensive stuff that gets neglected after a coupla months....

Now...despite the fact that I am a Christmas devotee and put a HUGE amount of effort into getting the right gift for people - this is not what I am all about....and not the direction I recommend taking when buying/otherwise procuring Christmas Gifts.

It is possible to turn that materialistic Christmas tendency around - just lead by example.

I find it really important at this time of year to include charitable giving into the equation - especially to ground the kids - have them be aware that not everyone is opening bags and bags of gifts on Christmas morning. Compassion is a gift beyond measure that we can give our children through example.

As for buying for the family - useful gifts are good - stuff for stuff's sake falls right into the hedonistic/materialistic give me give me mentality that is so ugly about this season. Example: This year we gave Papa's mother a gym membership - she got it early - 6 months of access to a place that specializes in rehab ... as a woman with multiple medical issues this is a quality (and maybe quantity) of life gift. She will open a small packet of sports socks on Christmas Day - but our gift comes from the heart, and is given with love. Much better than a new necklace or box of chocolates!
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife and I don't usually get anything for each other at xmas but now we have a little girl we'll have to get her something I suppose. Although she is just 6 months old so probably won't bother as it's not like she'll remember anyway!

Missus and I decided we have our own Xmas before the family one. Opening our presents for each other tomorrow biggrin

I think she can read my mind (knows what it is) so she can play with it (she finishes her exams tomorrow) asap. haha

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Watching little kids faces on Christmas morning is priceless. All the cynicism about christmas goes out the window for a while and the magic kicks in.

It is awesome isnt it.

I just sent some Aussie Chocolates to a friend of mine in Texas - she does Santa Stockings for all of her nieces and nephews, and due to a blended family they have all off a sudden added a couple of extra's.

This year we were not exchanging (although there has been boxes and boxes of stuff swapping between us in the past), and she overhead the kids talking about how Santa is so magical he brings candy from all over the world for their stockings - so they KNOW he is true.

doh She didnt have any.
So a quick email to me, and an assortment was winging it's way express post to Texas to save Christmas.

LOVE KIDS and Christmas.

I always remember my friend at christmas time who has now moved back to the US.

Every Christmas she would decorate her house inside and out and it looked like a Christmas Grotto. You would drive up the drive way there was an amazing christmas light show and then walk into a christmas wonderland, she decorated EVERY ROOM. Everything was christma - food, cookies, drinks EVERYTHING it was great fun. She also used to do the same at every dinner party Mexican, Spanish etc.

We are having Christmas at our place this year 20 people coming - Very Traditional Christmas Turkey, Ham, Roasted Vege's, Eggnog, Christmas Puddings lashed with Cream and Brandy Custard YUMMY!!!! I have made all the Christmas Crackers with some great jokes and gifts. I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!

We always say grace and remember friends and family that are no longer with us and wish happiness to people less fortunate than ourselves.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! smile

This:

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
We always say grace and remember friends and family that are no longer with us and wish happiness to people less fortunate than ourselves.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! smile

And even people who are far away, are close in my thoughts. Mum, dad, sisters, yes including my youngest sister who drives me up the wall. Friends and grandparents. You can stuff the presents.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Wife and I don't usually get anything for each other at xmas but now we have a little girl we'll have to get her something I suppose. Although she is just 6 months old so probably won't bother as it's not like she'll remember anyway!

Just give her the box things came in. Wrap it up nice and sit back, take pics and watch! Kids have much more fun with the wrapping and boxes than with the presents, I believe.

My problem is what do you give a 85year old bloke who's blind and almost totally deaf? (My old man - buys whatever they need when needed, no "wait until Xmas and drop hints for the family" from him or mum!) Books are no good, calendars likewise. CDs almost as useful. Damn, he's hard to buy for!

Experience gifts...and time.

This year I bought my Nanna an bathrobe and had it embroidered with her initials - she needed a new one. But last year I bought her tickets to the Ballet (with me, Mum [her daughter], and my SIL)...she got a night out with us.

My parents this year are getting a Cliff Richard and the Shadows CD, but inside the case are 2 tickets to the 50th Anniversary Concert in early Feb.

But I also recommend food gifts for a hard to buy for man.

I really love the tower gift boxes - and they can look so impressive. Only problem is they are normally full of stale crappy nibbles - so make your own! Buy the boxes, select Dad's favorite foods - add a few of your own and wrap.

ImperialSplendorTower.jpg

51lPQg5%2B7BL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_The-Crow

Originally Posted By: Go Native

GN,
one thing I have done for my boys is take a photo [usually with Santa] each year and turn it into an ornament for the tree. We are missing a few that have got damaged or lost over time, but part of the fun for my pushing 6 foot tall young men is searching the tree for their old photo's and laughing like mad at themselves crying on Santa's lap etc.
It is the little traditions that make Christmas with kids so awesome.

I was pretty much over Christmas, but since this is my little ones first "real" christmas (he was 6 months old last time), I reckon it will be pretty awesome, to watch his eyes open up as he rips into some presents.

I might add a beard to my stormtrooper suit and hand out presents @ the family get together this year too =)

Unless it's going to be 35+ degrees....

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
harden up domo!
We've got Santa coming to our place at 3.30pm tomorrow and it is forecast to be 37!

Do you still need extra addresses to send presents to for Santa? biggrin
Originally Posted By: stemik
maybe some ski wax....she can tune up my skis after cooking and washing....

lol

this is the first year that I've put up a tree, I like Xmas. Need to get something sorted for Xmas dinner though!!