Who here likes Christmas? I think I like it more recently because my lady friend loves it so much. THere's so little of the baggage and all of the commerciality but in a fun and innocent way, somehow. And of course hopefully some skiing. Miss family though.

So what about presents. I have just ordered my present for me, a new 70-300mm Nikkor lens. groovy Of course, giving is so much more fun. wink

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so, thursday. Like I said I'm a bit unhappy with my 18-200 of late. I'm thinking that I will use this 70-300mm and am tempted to also splash out on that 16-85mm. If I do that I'll keep the 18-200 as a backup every day kind of lens

Why don't you get a non-zoom 300mm ? Zooms are always low spec. Higher stops (slow shutter speed) or dark (low light) for it's price. You won't be needing anything in between 200 and 300 IMHO

Miss family during Christmas? Once every five years or so seems to be my limit now. I don't feel like it's a holiday at all when I go home over the Christmas break to see family... not that I don't love them, just that there are too many of them and it's all a little overwhelming for someone who likes peace, quiet and pressure free relaxation.

Sounds like a nice bit of hardware you are getting there Muika. I'm a little jealous but decided to wait until the new year before buying any more treats like that (unless I can find quality used items!)

Thursday, you should get the missus something without VR. She might not miss you as much when you sneak off on ski trips wink

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Why don't you get a non-zoom 300mm ? Zooms are always low spec. Higher stops (slow shutter speed) or dark (low light) for it's price. You won't be needing anything in between 200 and 300 IMHO

The stuff out these days will amaze you.

Sorry, back to topic.

After a long period of Xmas being nothing special and felt lucky that I did't have to buy crap for anyone, now I am doing the family Xmas thang. Still, I feel shitty if the present I am buying is wasteful, useless, not knowing really that person. Part of me enjoy that giving someone a present, but the shopping of it is overwhelming.

I am a Christmas Junkie - have been for a long long while ... although I have not been so good this year as I have been spending WAY too much time on SJ....not enough on my all year long Christmas site. shifty

Gift giving can be tough. I have trouble with certain people every year. Papa is difficult, and his father is dang-near impossible!! However this year Papa and I have agreed that seeing as we will be in Tokyo for Christmas we will not buy each other anything. [don't ya wish you had such an easy to please wife boys?]

I have got a small selection of gifts in a Christmas stocking for each of the boys though....wouldnt be right if we didnt.

My big tip for gift buying: Consumable or collectable.

Consumables - cologne/perfume makes a great gift. As does luxurious soaps and bath stuff - I have bought a few people these amazing bars of soap - $20 each, but sheer decadence, I would rather get one of these bars of soap than dust collecting ornaments etc.

Collectables - for the ladies investigate Pandora ... I have been collecting that for 3 years and LOVE it, lots of friends and family are collecting now - makes gift buying simple. A friend of mine collects perfume decanters - like persian style 'I dream of Jeannie' bottles - they are not cheap! If your gift recipient is a collector it is easy to find a gift. My niece has just started collecting Momiji Dolls.

Good luck with your shopping.

BTW: I am done. Shopping, wrapping, the lot - done biggrin

Come on Guys.

It's not rocket science cook dinner do the dishes and tell her she looks hot.

You can spend thousands but a bit of positive reinforcement will do wonders.

Hey Thurs you can thank my parents for that one.

Seriously - go the Pandora Thursday!

pandora-jewelry1.jpg

The gold and jewel charms are freakin' expensive! One of mine was $370 for a single charm. I have a gold necklace - had to get it ordered from Denmark coz they didnt carry it as a general stock item! (you wont have that problem in Honkers though).

You can personalize it with particular charms that mean something to her/you - particular colors of Murano glass beads, or precious/semi precious stones....

Bracelet or necklace. Lots of looks - very personal.

Pandora_bracelets_full.jpeg

Originally Posted By: thursday
Need some inspiration here. Materialistic, very expensive stuff that gets neglected after a coupla months. What a bitch.

PS3 + 20 games.

When she neglects it, you can play! Ace!