If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls

Very few products will have labels showing the presence of GM ingredients, Heck, most labels try to HIDE as much information as they can possibly get away with hiding!

IF it were mandatory to identify ALL products that we eat which have GM ingredients, I have the feeling that we might be well and truly surprised!

I am not so concerned about the health effects of GM, what bothers me more is the fact that bees and other polinators do not know (and they cannot read the signs that say "this crop is GM") and cannot avoid crossing with weeds.

Rape (AKA canola), for example is a brassica, same as several prolifioc weeds around Oz. When (not IF!) the herbicide tolerance gene gets transferred to the wild turnip/other weed brassicas, what's going to be useful to get rid of them? NOT A DAMN THING!

And, from another perspective, who makes money from the herbicide tolerant GM crops?? ONLY Monsanto, certainly NOT the farmer!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
and where did you get that amount from, as if it was wikipedia, that number was from the 1960s'

From a book in the late 80's, but i try to keep up with the reading and haven't seen any different numbers given. perhaps you have a more up-to-date percentage that still makes your statement look ridiculous?
Originally Posted By: thursday
I was thinking about this footage when I was shopping for a turkey. Ended up with an ultra expensive free-range from the states.

There were loads of butterballs, but that East Anglian accent of that bloke in the turkey fram in the vid put me off.

both I and the turkey salute you
[golf clap]
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
and where did you get that amount from, as if it was wikipedia, that number was from the 1960s'

From a book in the late 80's, but i try to keep up with the reading and haven't seen any different numbers given. perhaps you have a more up-to-date percentage that still makes your statement look ridiculous?

GM crops?
Crops that are over watered and fed with chemicals to stave off the insects and pests?

How is this statement ridiculous?

There are 6.7bn people right now, and with the current level of land being used for crops, it can't sustain any more with natural growth. Now GM crops have been in the food cycle for about 20yrs now, to boost yields and prevent destruction from animals.

Paul avoids these too, and if you look at the Linda McCartney food range, that company too also avoids them as well, and as he has stated before, he doesn't eat them because of the unknown results.

So, which statement, as you say, looks ridiculous?

Rob, first off, i should say that i'm alaso not stoked on all those thigs you mentioned (water consumption, GM crops, pesticides, ect)

But a huge reason we grow all these crops, not to mention destroy rainforest and divert huge amounts of water is to raise animals.

The maybe about 15 years ago the UN estimated that we actually grow enough food to meet the caloric needs of all the people on Earth. But instead, we feed it to animals. This is increadibly inefficiant and a waste of resources.

Think about it, how long does it take to feed a cow through pregnancy, and then feed the calf until a slaughterable weight? How much grain does that consume? How much water? What if humans consumed that grain directly?

Most estimates i've read say that to grow a kg of beef, it takes about 10 kg of grain, and maybe 100 liters of water.

an estimated 2/3rds of all farmland in the US is devoted to livestock in one way or another.

And because of issues with GM foods, its unacceptable to feed much it directly to humans, but is legal for animal.

So yeah, all that waste of farmland, grain (and all the water and pesticides that go with it) are not going to be made worse be not eating meat, the ARE worse precisely because of the way we raise animals.

Um, Thursday, can we talk?

the um... animal rights thingy stuff... well, thats my gig. i post the reactionary stuff, and you add some dry sarcasm. Thats the way its supposed to work. You stealing my fire!

Pezby

As for nothing changing, please get real.

strict animal treatment laws are in place in much of Europe, due to information like this and the efforts of activists. America still has extremely lax laws, but got MUCH better after the publication of 'Diet For A New America'. Even McDonalds has improved the conditions for the chickens it buys due to outside pressure.

As for Japan... well, they still are cool with filleting a fish alive, have no influential animal rights orgs like PETA or the SPCA, and dress their pets in the most humiliating outfits...

And if you don't like what you see, than you can at least refuse to give those industries any money, and purchase free-range meat (preferably from conditions you can see for yourself) or reduce the amount you consume.

Go and google search
Free range animal cruelty
Same things happen to the animals as mentioned in the video..
As long as we eat meat from animals,, there will be cruelty to the animals in some form
If you believe otherwise you are naive
Only way for you to be sure its free range and the animals are killed humanely,,is to tend the animals yourself on your own farm,, or stop eating meat and meat products..

You guys carry on.

But..

Quote:
As for Japan... well, they still are cool with filleting a fish alive, have no influential animal rights orgs like PETA or the SPCA, and dress their pets in the most humiliating outfits...

I dunno about that. I dress far worse.

i was in Karuizawa last year, and saw a guy walking his fluffy toy whatever though the outlet mall. the dog had on a little judo outfit, complete withblack belt, and i noticed it had a name embroidered on the back-

Beckham.

If you can do worse Thursday, i want to see photos.

You would not believe the outfits here when it dips below 20C. The poor ittle pooches are just freezing.

I don't think I can ever get into a worse outfit than a Beckham one. I Lose. I drink more booze to celebrate.

and some slightly-more up to date info on soy

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/1665

(only 10 years old)

IF you look at their list of "Partners" you'll not find a crediable University amongst the whole damned lot! Their funding comes from fringe groups with an axe to grind (emphasis is on "protecting the earth" - though from what is debatable) and they distribute their research to ???

The web is a wonderful resource, but there is a lot of crap out there, the trick is to ber able to sift the real facts from the manufactured ones - made up or selectively edited to suit the current purpose! I make a habit of checking the "about us" page of any quoted resource, so I can form an opinion of their credibility - in this case, they FAIL to impress!

If you've seen 'The Cove' or saw the 'Japan vs Australia: Whale Debate' on YouTube (or Japanese TV for that matter) you know that Japan has a culturally instilled belief that animals are walking chunks of food without emotions. Some people think otherwise but it will take a few generations dying off for anything to happen... Also, for any of you that've seen South Park lately, Dolphin and Whale still have quite a lot to pay back wink

And as for elsewhere, I'm glad there are extremists like PETA, though I could never get as fired up as they do. When It comes to things like animal rights, it comes down to a simple negotiation, high ball and low, just hopefully in the end everyone's at least marginally satisfied and there remains no population that believes Pamela Anderson is an intellectual being...

And on another note, when I'm in the states I hunt quite a lot so I'm taking my meat in an even more natural way than you free-rangers razz Nothing beats the quick humaneness of a .360 slug! And venison's the best!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: gaijindrifter

And on another note, when I'm in the states I hunt quite a lot so I'm taking my meat in an even more natural way than you free-rangers razz Nothing beats the quick humaneness of a .360 slug! And venison's the best!

You must be a dam good shot.
One bullet. One instant kill every time?