Hi Sunset

Welcome.

I am wearing a 5mm wetsuit which I have rigged to 4 9V batteries which at the flick of a switch heat the wetsuit to 32C.

Then just put my pants over the top works a treat.

Sorry Sunset

Couldn't resist it you will get used to it if you spend too much time with this lot.

I will answer a previous thread where I asked similar questions about how cold it will be and you can check it out.

Insulated snow pants (usually with thinsulate or some kind of light-loft, rather than fleece) with one or two layers underneath like Gareth said is fine. But two layers plus a waterproof shell like Mr.S is indicating is better and more adjustable but maybe a bit more expensive.

Maybe I'm just an incredibly hot dude, but last year even on the coldest of days I was perfectly fine with a single pair of long underwear on under a normal pair of Bonfire snow pants. On top of that with just the snow pants, all vents open, on a sunny day (air temp being subzero mind you) I felt like I was smuggling meatball subs it was so hot x_x

Though this being said I spent all last year in Niigata/Gunma, not sure how much colder it gets up in Hokkaido...

And I guess it depends on where you come from. I'm from Michigan in the states where lifts opened this year before anywhere in Japan (and with NATURAL snow!)

Originally Posted By: gaijindrifter

And I guess it depends on where you come from. I'm from Michigan in the states where lifts opened this year before anywhere in Japan (and with NATURAL snow!)

Everyone's gonna cancel their plans for Niseko and Hakuba and book a trip to Michigan now...

Not saying Michigan has the best ski hills, but even towards the southern part of the state where I'm from you can expect to be driving in the snow come mid-November, and snow starts falling early to mid-November in the northern parts. The season is the same length as Japan's, though it does start earlier and almost never suffers from the same occasional heat spells as Japan does. And if I remember correctly, when I used to go hunting towards Boyne mountain (Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands are 2 of the more popular resorts if you're interested in looking them up) first and second weeks of November as of a couple years ago, the mountains were always already blanketed in a foot or two of natural snow wink

thanks for advice (well most of lol)i'm from oz and we board on ice and -2c here is a cold day. think i'll stick with my burton trenches and have thermals on hand...cheers and beers everyone look forward to shredding come jan hopefuly a month of heaven on a stick!!!!

I would definitely go for the shell with layering underneath. Warmerif you do it right and also more versatile. You can still use it in Spring in Japan or in Australia plus insulated pants are way too hot if you do any hiking for backcountry.