• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Also if you're up for a night of Karaoke in Kutchan then let me know, I'm always looking for singing partners!

I'm down for some karaoke! As long as you don't mind drunk+tone deaf white boy singing biggrin

Go Native, you still down for some karaoke?
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Yes they are.
We got some we did not use in the end, so the Reaper boy has them to maybe check out Moiwa with his mates.
Can't knock free passes!!!

Looks like Moiwa getting very desperate. Any good eats there for lunch or something?

The food was excellent and the prices were cheaper than most of the eats on the Niesko side of the hill. The café is a really clean and modern building and the staff were very helpful.

We were told that Mowia is under new management this season and that they are giving away passes so as they can say at the end of the season that X amount of people have used the hill, i guess this will help with there business model for what ever plans they have.

We were also told that the company that owns Hanazano would like to see Mowia fail so they can snap it up at a good price and include it as part of the all mountain pass.

We just went and grab another four free passes for Sunday.

Interesting that. But Moiwa is nowhere near Hanazono, and with the United Pass wars going on this season(?), doesn't really make sense for PCCW Developments to buy Moiwa. But they are a buncha flakes.

Nice to see Moiwa to get some exposure. They were trying to place themselves as the upmarket Niseko resort, without all the baggage of Hirafu.

May need to check this place out.

I was surprised by all the construction going on in between Hirafu, Higashiyama, and Annapuri - and with Moiwa practically right next to Annapuri I would not be surprised if it was included on an all mountain pass at some time in the future.

I believe you can ski over from Hirafu now (although I never went that far - couldn't get me past the beautiful Annupuri) wink

confused Thanks for sparking THIS discussion - now I am all 'missing Japan' again! lol

Waaaah!!

Poor Mama, At least you got to go over this season! I'm still paying for the previous one (Exchange rates went to hell in a basket just before we bought our yen!)

evilgrin

Exactly as the 'Niseko Now' forcast predicted the blue bird day quickly disappeared shortly after lunch and the falling snow came back in. i was really surprised how quickly it happen, we just walked out of hanazano308 after having lunch and were all committing on how magnificent the peak looked and that we were going to easily get up to the top lifts and down to Annapuri for an afternoon session and bang the snow just came from no where and really hasn't stopped since. Currently its snowing pretty hard and close to the heaviest it has all week.

The trees around the village are all pretty ladened with a lot of snow and some of the heavier gusts of wind are blowing a lot of snow from the trees.

Visibility just about all disappeared up on the mountain in the last hour so most people are coming in.

Two more days to go for us and as much as i hate to say it I will be glad of the rest once we leave on Tuesday its been an unforgettable 10 days.

ratherb@thesnow_11.JPG

ratherb@thesnow_9.JPG

ratherb@thesnow_10.JPG

This is what happens when you dont listen to instruction and you go to low in Blueberries, the walk of shame.

Yep....that's right ... Niseko is dead flat - everyone needs to stay away and leave the all the POW right where it is.

thumbsup

Got a text from my boy last night - FINALLY their missing 4th member of crew has arrived. Been an interesting 3 days trying to work out where in heck he was (yep he was 3 days late). Apparently a side trip to Hiroshima and Nagasaki held him up - his parents were aware, but not his buddy's who were waiting on him.

slap

-meanwhile seems the boys are having a blast. Reaper has been leading the other boys around the mountain only telling them AFTERWARDS when they have been on the blacks. lol Way to bring your mates up to your standard!!

- also enjoying the nightlife, dining, and sake.

For the other boys it is their first time to Japan, so I think Reaper is really enjoying showing them around and introducing them to chopsticks etc. I am sure he would be showing off and ordering in Nihongo too! cheers

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
i dunno if its only been the resorts I've been to, but the black runs over here aren't as difficult as those I've (accidently) been on in Europe

Agreed Tubby.

I reckon it is not the run themselves but what is laid down on the top of the run. All of a sudden an intermediate run can become a total nightmare when it is sheet ice and death cookies!

I found out today when the Reaper Boy called home it was Strawberries he took the boys through ON THEIR FIRST DAY! Well...not their first day ever, but their first day in Niseko....but one of them had just returned the week before from 2 weeks in Valdisere... I am just not sure they were quite acclimatised to riding powder at that point. But I am sure they will learn to love it fast - it was Miharashi today.

Crazy day yesterday with the wind and many of the upper lifts closed made the crowds at Hirifu look like we were back at Buller. Decided that after to runs we would catch the shuttle bus over to Annapuri. We were not disappointed as the crowds were pretty much non existent over there. The snow was not that good on any of the groomers or in the trees around the edges so we made straight for Gate 7. A great choice as we got 12 runs in there and each time we were able to find fresh lines, it surprises me that no one ever seems to enter there. The snow was a little crusty and we didn't quite float thru it like previous days but it was good fun. Todays our last day and we are hoping that the gates up top will open so we can hike up other wise i think its a trip into Otaru.

GN what would the snow be like in the back bowls to day after the gates not being open for the past three days? would there be some soft stuff or would it have gone hard with all the wind and temps we have experienced in the last 48 hrs? any advice