I'd move here tomorrow Karnidge.

Although my back is killing me tonight. Gotta suck it up and get out there tomorrow for the last hurrah though.

40 degree's sounds HORRID JA....just horrid.

But that is the price we pay for living in Western Australia.

At this stage of life we have made the decision to stay in Perth, work, educate the kids and take copious vacations to the snow to keep sane. What the further future holds - who knows...

But my time in Niseko has been a blast.

Looking forward to Hakuba in March wink

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone got any idea what the longer term forecast (into Feb) is for Hokkaido, in paricular Niseko? Reports in local media down around Niigata and parts of Nagano are that these will be the last big falls and that it will be below average falls for rest of winter.

They have been forecasting below average snowfalls the whole winter so far and around Niseko snowfalls have been a bit below average. They were also forecasting above average temps but so far they have been reasonably close to long term averages.

Just remember that even a below average season in Niseko receives more than 3 times the amount of snow most Aussie resorts get. An average season gets more than 4 times. Average snowfalls here are so large that even below average seasons can be awesome. Janurary alone average more snow than most Aus resorts get in a whole year.

Just reading the niseko now report, and it says that the official depth at 1000m is 260cm, which is actually 10cm more than the average ? Samwillis, don't think you have much to worry about as they are calling it a below average winter, and yet the last two nights have had at least 40cm worth of snowfall biggrin

Originally Posted By: samwillis5
anyone got any idea what the longer term forecast (into Feb) is for Hokkaido, in paricular Niseko? Reports in local media down around Niigata and parts of Nagano are that these will be the last big falls and that it will be below average falls for rest of winter.

SAM don't worry you might want to hope it is only an average year as last year it was a below average year for snowfall and it snowed and snowed and snowed, we only saw 1 bluebird day. Don't worry there will be plenty of snow there for you when you get there.

Yep - last night.

Packing up all the gear tonight.

I am struggling tonight - sore back - probably a good thing I am heading home - we have done a LOT this vacation.

Had a fabulous time and going home with 12 crew and no injuries worse than bumps, bruises and strains. Not bad when you consider there has been a fair bit of off piste, tree's and park amongst us - the Mama's are the most conservative of the crew and while we didn't hike the peak or play in the park, we still did Miharashi on a powder day, Strawberries and Konayuki, as well as playing amongst the tree's wherever we could - sometimes resulting in a rather effortful thigh deep walk out when we came a gutsa! lol (The very reason for today's sore back wink )

I had fond memories of Ni-se-ko from 2 yrs ago.

And I discovered that I still love Niseko, and all the more for being able to explore more of it. I think when we return RUSUTSU will definitely be on the cards again - that was a really fun day - the day I learnt to ride real untracked powder. thumbsup

Bye bye Niseko. wave

Bye bye Japan. wave

I will be back!! biggrin

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Yep - last night.

Had a fabulous time and going home with 12 crew and no injuries worse than bumps, bruises and strains. Not bad when you consider there has been a fair bit of off piste, tree's and park amongst us - the Mama's are the most conservative of the crew

Mama we are the most conservative because we are the ones who have to look after the motley crew - pack the bags - dress them each morning etc. If we get injured WHO DOES IT!! wink

MB. thanks for all the cool pic's and the reports I look forward to them each day. Three weeks to go for us realy excited now.Hope to get some photos up form the nozawa & shiga areas.

Thanks MB, less than two weeks for me. Hopefully I will be able to post some photos while we are staying there as I will be taking the laptop, just got to hope there is wifi access in the lodge we are staying at.

JA I know I'm no chance and would not even dream of being able to do half a good a job as MB.But I will try to get so pic's and work out how to post them.I

Home safe and sound - nearly lost a kid (went walkabout lured by Akihabara store) and a backpack (12yr old decided he didnt need to pick it up when he went thru security) - and had a fair bolt for the gate.

Most importantly, the Gentem made it home unscathed much to Papa's delight!

We had a blast. party Will upload a couple more pic's when I get them off the others camera's, and the video camera.

But I am SO looking forward to seeing the pic's and stories from everyone elses trips - I am gonna NEED it to get me through the 40 odd degree heat. PLEASE dance

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Mama we are the most conservative because we are the ones who have to look after the motley crew - pack the bags - dress them each morning etc. If we get injured WHO DOES IT!! wink

Very true.
Very very true.

The one in that pic is the Impossible Demo from Gentem, he hired it for the day. It went SO well he went back and bought one - I like the one he bought in the end better than the demo - it is very retro cool - and he left us for dead in the POW!

I highly recommend anyone into their boards pay them a visit, even if just to check out the crazy range of historical boards on display on the wall. And who can resist hiring one for a day to see what all the fuss is about!! biggrin

I recall JA telling me off for buying my Troop without trying it first, and I said "yeah but demo-ing a board right at the time you want to buy one is next to impossible..." I was wrong.