• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few and I've assumed you meant the area rather than just the resort muika.

Looking across frozen Hangetsuko to Mt Youtei

4189595951_372af60e47.jpg

Looking towards Annupuri with the Hirafu ski area visible from the base of Youtei.

4189596235_09f24a3cb8.jpg

Shot of Youtei in all it's glory from near Kyogoku.

4189595717_85fd3400b0.jpg

Shot of of the back bowl of Annupuri from road on the way to Goshikionsen.

4190344418_8681578a7f.jpg

Looking back up the slope I'd just skied down off Chisenupuri.

4190344298_d7004b3fb9.jpg

An almost totally frozen Shiribeshi River only a few minutes drive from Hirafu.

3346835396_bc297f1311.jpg

View towards Youtei and Annupuri from Nakayama toge (main road between Niseko and Sapporo)

3462695932_2cc5ef87f6.jpg

Made this one bigger cause I really like it. View of Annupuri, Iwanopuri and Weiss Mt from outskirts of Kutchan.

4189583713_b6d256d3bc_b.jpg

Got plenty more but that will do for now thumbsup

• SnowJapan Admin

Please don't worry about the quality of your photos - I'm sure they will be of interest. And please do upload to SJ... thank you!

Hope to see lots this season.

wave

Hey

Totally diggin the pics on this thread. SWEET!! Got me excited.

I'm booked into Bamboo Lodge 11th to 20th of Feb.

Does someone want to collate all this info to see where we overlap? Then maybe we could work out a time/place to meet up.

--Eric

P.S. If any moderator reads this can you please turn my PM functions on? I don't know what to do other than send you another email. Thanks.

Busy Anniversary day today.

Up and over to Higashiyama.

Had to stop for first aid.

Papa got the full force of a big kiwi skier into his knee's while he was taking photo's. Lucky he was our mate, and he was the one being photographed! Good gash in the new ski pants, and bit of a gash in his leg (which made a nice mess in the snow), but his titanium screws in his knee held up well!

A cuppa and a wound dressing and we were off.

Up and over again - this time into Annupuri.

Buffet lunch over there which the junior members of our team really enjoyed (so did we).

And then back to Grand Hirafu.

Was getting quite bleak out, so the trip home was a little testy what with us n00bs not really knowing the way, but a few shortcuts through tree's and having to jump out of some powder and bobs your uncle we were back into Grand Hirafu territory following the bubble lift down thumbsup

Bit more of a play under lights before heading in to have our Anniversary dinner at J-Sekka. Was lovely. They do GREAT food biggrin

Got lots of photo's - I am sure some will be SJ worthy, but I am too tired to upload tonight. Tomorrow. Night all.

We had a little adventure for our 20th Wedding Anniversary - group of 10 altogether... Papa and I had never been outside the Grand Hirafu area, so we decided to explore.

First up Higashiyama. We have Grand Hirafu lift tickets, so we needed to head down and get some 12 point All Mountain Passes so we could zig zag our way across the lift system outside of Grand Hirafu. Was quite an overcast day, gently snowing non stop, like being in a snowglobe! I loved it!

Mamabear_20.JPG

Higashiyama.

Loved the boot de-icers (little air guns)at the entrances - what a great idea!

Mamabear_21.JPG

Niseko Gondola, Higashiyama.

Now from what I can work out (and I am no expert, and have not ridden it yet so I could be mistaken) this is Mizuno No Sawa. It looks awesome! As a group we are getting our bearings, and testing our skills with a view of trying our hand in there before we leave. It is on the Bucket List so if not this time - NEXT!

Mamabear_22.JPG

Then we went to Annupuri.

Had a lovely time there. They do a really good value buffet lunch which suited our group of 10, especially the kids with the soft serve machine!

Coming back home we came across the single chair lift - GULP! I am not a fan of the single chair lift. Especially when it sways around like no ones business! Mind you the kids thought it was a great idea to start a Mexican Wave heading back down the lift chairs!!

Mamabear_23.JPG

Our last lift back before crossing back into Grand Hirafu (once again Higashiyama) - it had got kinda frosty by this stage, and the wind was picking up (at least on that side - it seemed to calm once we were along side the Ace#3 Bubble). Visibility was reasonably low, so we ended up finding our own way through, little bit of tree's, little bit of stuck in powder LOT of fun!

Mamabear_24.JPG

Great day on the mountain.

Despite the more overcast conditions we were taken aback by the beauty and views on offer here.

This part of the world really is a beautiful place.

Originally Posted By: BlackMountain
You should be excited MB! Hakuba is a great place that you will surely enjoy! Are you taking a break from boarding today? Me and the gang are lazin' around the apartment today watching the snow pile up! The past few days have been some intense boarding so the break is well deserved! I hope papa isn't in too much pain from the accident yesterday!

Yes looking forward to the Hakuba trip - still gotta bed down the dates. Papa is really busy thru Feb and March so we have to find the RIGHT week to duck back over. Need to head back to Kanda Ski Shop area again too - need to replace Papa's pants after the accident, plus he wants to get a Thredbo style board.

We are chillin' today too. Kids are heading out with shovels to make kickers in the vacant block next to the apartment. Papa out riding with the Kiwi (knee can't be too bad, huh?)

What did ya get up to yesterday? We are pretty shattered today. I will head out for a couple of runs this afternoon just to move the lactic acid out, but we'd like to ring in the NY, so nothing too taxing.

Loving watching the snow pile up again. There is gonna be some nice powder over the next few days thumbsup

Right on! I think we are in for a lot of snow over the next few days. We were over in Annupuri yesterday. A lot less crowded over there right now than Hirafu. We boarded the back bowls in the morning and then stayed around gate 7 for a few hours. Considering there was not much new snow yesterday the back bowls were in really good condition.

Mrs. BM and I were just talking about heading out in the afternoon for a few runs but we are also thinking about boarding more tomorrow. Plus the fact that we are in rough shape after the last few days of going mental because we had a friend from Shizuoka over for only a few days and we were trying to show him the entire mountain! (mission accomplished!). I've got some pictures to post in the general trip category coz we went to Otaru the other day. Have a look if you get the chance.

Nice BM, not sure if you know but there's an exact replica of that steam clock in Vancouver! And yes Otaru is pretty famous for it's fresh seafood. It's the nearest big town to me so I get there a fair bit. If you haven't before you should spend a day skiing at Tenguyama. Generally not the best quality snow in the region but so cool skiing down slopes overlooking the city and the ocean.

LOL. I thought I had seen that clock before! I even mentioned to the missus that it looked like the one in Vancouver! I had a look at the resort above the city and wished I had brought my board for at least one run! Will have to do it next time.

• SnowJapan Admin

Some of the photos previously in this thread were not uploaded to SJ

Click to reveal..
very naughty slap

wink

...and so there is no watermark on them.

That is the reason.

friend