1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I can understand your point JA, but in a pay system like Japan it's just called that way and does not imply performance in most cases. That will result in a pay rise which comes as a result of promotion.

The advantages of the Japanese Bonus system is that you get paid twice a year as bulk pay. Imagine trying to save out of your monthly pay packet . Wouldn't it be easier when you get a 5~6 months pay twice a year and you see a big reward, incentive to save? Of course the consumer market will be hit buy shopping incentives like "shop now and pay with your bonus"

Also this works for the employer, for he can give a trial period for 6 months on a lower pay system and then guarantee further employment with bonus.

The total annual income is the same. It's just a Japanese pay system. But when it comes to non Japanese multinational company executives, it's a scam.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonus system in japan is used also to retain employees. you only get a small window to change companies, else forgo your bonus. this also happens in Singapore, apparently there is one month which is known as the recruiting month when people jump ship after getting there bonus.

Had a pay cut whilst taking on more responsibility and working harder. The financial crisis last year was not good to the travel industry so those of us that have not been laid off are generally doing more for less so our companies can survive...

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I can understand your point JA, but in a pay system like Japan it's just called that way and does not imply performance in most cases. That will result in a pay rise which comes as a result of promotion.
The advantages of the Japanese Bonus system is that you get paid twice a year as bulk pay. Imagine trying to save out of your monthly pay packet . Wouldn't it be easier when you get a 5~6 months pay twice a year and you see a big reward, incentive to save? Of course the consumer market will be hit buy shopping incentives like "shop now and pay with your bonus"
Also this works for the employer, for he can give a trial period for 6 months on a lower pay system and then guarantee further employment with bonus.
The total annual income is the same. It's just a Japanese pay system. But when it comes to non Japanese multinational company executives, it's a scam.

I get roughly 7 months salary as bonus/year including the kumai money as well. I rather like this system since, for some random reason, Im a helluvamore likely to save this/invest it than just getting it monthly. More than anything though with the way the economy has been the last year plus I feel very grateful that I have a tenured job with a stable salary. Many of my mates back in the States had a rough time, but most have found new employment luckily.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

This happens all over! The Execs of the big banks get a miserable salary (around AUD3mill a year) so need to top it up with bonuses that are called performance bonuses but get paid whether the co performs or not.

The execs of the big US car manufacturers were accused of using the bail-out money from the government to pay bonuses to themselves while sacking workers!

Need any more examples? Plenty to choose from.

Simply put, a performance bonus should depend on performance! no if, but, maybe!
Originally Posted By: veronica
Is the AET wage still 300,000? I remember that went unchanged for a long long time.

I know a lot of people working in Niseko for considerably less than that each year. English teaching seems like a lucrative job to many here but of course they'd have to teach english which many have done in the past and really never want to do again.

Hardly relevant with regard to the CEO end of the scale, though. They surely DO NOT NEED that sort of annual income! I mean, the rest of us can survive really comfortably on a whole lot less!

Originally Posted By: Go Native

I know a lot of people working in Niseko for considerably less than that each year. English teaching seems like a lucrative job to many here but of course they'd have to teach english which many have done in the past and really never want to do again.

Teaching English isn't that bad in itself. The problem is if you have to put on a dog and pony show everyday at a private eikaiwa school or deal with the public school system. It depends where you teach.

And 300 000 yen/month may be 'lucrative' if you're fresh out of Uni but you want to be making more than that once you start getting on into your 30's.
Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Teaching English isn't that bad in itself. The problem is if you have to put on a dog and pony show everyday at a private eikaiwa school or deal with the public school system. It depends where you teach.

And 300 000 yen/month may be 'lucrative' if you're fresh out of Uni but you want to be making more than that once you start getting on into your 30's.

rollabout I'm nearing 40 and I barely make more than that! Luckily I used to make a hell of a lot more than that before moving to this little part of the world and have considerable investments which I generally make a lot more from than my paltry little wage working here.
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
in australia, it is law that your employer must pay superannuation of a minimum 12% of your base salary, however, they don't have to pay super on bonuses, therefore it can cost them less to pay smaller salaries and bigger bonuses

Gazza, super guarantee is 9%. They are talking about 12%. Dodgy places will pay super on income less sal sac to save em cash. Still even at 9% it's a very very good deal, especially compared to Japan.

I work for Scott Patrk Homes a single storey project builder.

We only marketed to 1st home buyers for a short period of time but as we have a good rep the response was huge.

I have only been in the industry for 7 years but I have never worked so hard in my life.

Originally Posted By: Indo
in australia, it is law that your employer must pay superannuation of a minimum 12% of your base salary, however, they don't have to pay super on bonuses, therefore it can cost them less to pay smaller salaries and bigger bonuses

Gazza, super guarantee is 9%. They are talking about 12%. Dodgy places will pay super on income less sal sac to save em cash. Still even at 9% it's a very very good deal, especially compared to Japan.

oops, my faux pas Indo.

i only get 14% dammitt!! LOL

fortunately its paid on my salary sacrifice bits too

i only get 14% dammitt!! LOL
fortunately its paid on my salary sacrifice bits too

well @ 14% you are getting a good deal. Not in state or fed govt are you? With a nice cushy defined benefit scheme? wink
You be suprised that quiet a few employers try to pay the SG after sal sac.. That's just not cricket in my book!