yeah I'll have to remind my mate about that...he's the type of guy that turns everything into a contest, of which he is "always" the best at.... not THAT comfortable entrusting my life to his hands...nah screw it, snow comes first!! wink

Got a set of Blizzaks. I'm happy with them.

Buddy of mine was to lazy to put on snow chains when it got too cold. His car slid and hit an oncoming car at 30kp/h, both cars were totaled but luckily no one was injured.

His dealer was pleased though, he bought 2 Touaregs in the span of 6 months. (his insurance premiums soared though) biggrin

I got a 4WD and always put snow tyres on all four wheels, if you don't then you will have a good chance of the front or back sliding away from you.

Basically snow tyres only on the front, then the rear end will try to over take the front when you go round corners, especially under breaking and going down hill.

Only snow tyres on the back then there is a good chance of going straight on corners rather than around them.

I have Bridgestone Blizzak studless on my car in winter! Although will have to change them for next winter, they will be finished this year!

That reminds me time to change my wheels and tyres this weekend to winter tyres!

That can be a bit of a problem. If you are driving on snow and quickly tap the brakes the ABS will quite often engage. If if engages you are done for! Even with snow tires this is a problem unfortunately. You have to use your brakes really softly, slow down, not follow too closely and pay attention to keep in control when there is too much snow.

When I was 16 I got my license in Canada in January. My first accident was 3 days later during a massive snow storm... After that happened I went to driving school to make sure it would be my first and last accident because of snow. Perfect record since then!

Originally Posted By: thursday
how does the ABS behave without snow tyres on snow.

Abs will cut in regarldess of type of tyre, once they feel the will lock under breaking the ABS kicks in, compared to no ABS cars, it will help to slow you down better, but still the car will skid if you hit the brakes to hard.
Best way stay a good distance from the vehicle in front of you and just use the brakes gently plus gear box especially when going down hill. If you are driving a manual car, then gently ease down through the gears to slow the car down, should be hardly no need for brakes even on a hill, if you are driving at a sensible speed!
If it's an automatic, drop down to "2" or "L" which will quickly pull your speed down!
  • 2 weeks later...

What size tires?

This weekend at Costco got set of 4 tires for 4WD SUV including wheels for 88K, Michelin brand. Size was 215/70R16. They also carry Yokohama. Coupon for 1,000 yen off per tire is good until end of next week.

Pricing studless tires at Autobacs and Tire-kan, prices were about 20,000 yen per tire. Cost for smaller, non SUV tires were much less, about 12-15,000 each.

I would recommend purchasing a set of wheels so that you have a dedicated set.

Hope this helps,

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Well, rules is rules, right? Drove to Nagano and Niigata at least 10 times last year on regular tires (not even all-seasons). No chains, no nothing! Now, my car is a 4WD, so that helps a little. You seriously don't need them if you know what you are doing.

I hate the notion that people have that using snow tires or chains are a substitution for common sense. Boneheads will end up in the ditch regardless of the safety equipment they use. It also seems that most people don't realize that once the chains go on the max speed you can drive is 50km/h. Slow down in snow!! Pretty simple concept!

I would have loved to have seen you drive around Hakuba on the weekend without chains or snow tires. Reports have people sliding around the Chuo Expressway which makes me think that snow tyres are a pretty good option.

I just put on a new set of snowies on my LandCruiser.. 265/70R/15's. I had Blizzaks on it before but really these days all the tires are pretty much the same...not like they were a decade ago. I went with Toyo this time and they are a great tire and came out to 84,000 yen.

The biggest problem with snow tires being used over several seasons is not the tread wearing down (although a concern)but the rubber getting hard. Keep your snow tires in proper storage during the off season.

My feelings on this are...Don't f#$k around! INVEST in them. It's not your safety I give a s#$t about....It's mine who just happens to be sharing the road with you.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
I just put on a new set of snowies on my LandCruiser.. 265/70R/14's. I had Blizzaks on it before but really these days all the tires are pretty much the same...not like they were a decade ago. I went with Toyo this time and they are a great tire and came out to 84,000 yen.

The biggest problem with snow tires being used over several seasons is not the tread wearing down (although a concern)but the rubber getting hard. Keep your snow tires in proper storage during the off season.

My feelings on this are...Don't f#$k around! INVEST in them. It's not your safety I give a s#$t about....It's mine who just happens to be sharing the road with you.

Your attitude works with me Chriselle and I think it's one reason why why snow tires are so popular here.

How do you keep snow tires from going hard?
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Chriselle, 14 inch wheels on a Land Cruiser???

I agree with your philosophy, mountain hubris is the best way to kill yourself and/or others.

Hehe....good catch..15's for the winter wheels..16's for the all terrains. Don't know where the 14 came from.. wakaranai Corrected!!

Yep I always keep my winter tyres and wheels in my shed, and the same the other way round.

All the houses around me seem to leave their wheels and or tyres outside, some under a plastic cover, but never the less outside and some as they are!