I've never used snow tyres so I want to get some opinions. I know that they should be fitted front/rear, but does it make sense to fit only front on a 4WD? I know it sounds stupid but I was wondering. Also, I saw some Michelin snow tyres that would have cost me about JPY120,000 all up. Can I get a better price out there for quality, non-branded tyres? Any suggestions?

Not 100% sure on this, but on 4wd going up a hill you get the most traction on the front wheels...coming down a hill you get the most traction on the rear wheels (as you brake), so it would make sense to get both front and rear.

non- branded tyres?

Originally Posted By: stemik
Not 100% sure on this, but on 4wd going up a hill you get the most traction on the front wheels...coming down a hill you get the most traction on the rear wheels (as you brake), so it would make sense to get both front and rear.

non- branded tyres?

Thanks Stem, that's logical. What I mean by non-branded is perhaps cheaper. I know that Michelin is premium but are there cheaper local brands? What about used? Can they be trusted?

you can buy used, no problem, check on the auction sites. Look for the amount of tread. It is called yama in Japanese.

You will find some good deals... many of the weekend warriors from the cities will have under used their snow tyres.

Bridgestone blizzard (i think that is the name) are the most popular snow tyre in Japan.

you can buy used, no problem, check on the auction sites. Look for the amount of tread. It is called yama in Japanese.
You will find some good deals... many of the weekend warriors from the cities will have under used their snow tyres.

Bridgestone blizzard (i think that is the name) are the most popular snow tyre in Japan.

If I were to buy used, I think I would buy from Autobacs instead of an auction site. You'd think they give them a health check before resale.

This sounds like rubbish to me. I'm not an 4WD expert but the weight will be over the front wheels in most cars so you should get the most breaking out of the front wheels going up or down hill.

Second hand tyre shops are great. I don't know of any in Osaka but there is a good one on Route 18 as you go towards Shiga Koen from Nagano City. Its right after akanuma traffic light (spelling might be wrong in English it should translate to Red Swamp)

I had a Pajero Mini 4WD. Autobaks wanted 12,000 a tyre and I think I got 4 from this shop for around 150,000 fitted.
Originally Posted By: wattiewatson

This sounds like rubbish to me. I'm not an 4WD expert but the weight will be over the front wheels in most cars so you should get the most breaking out of the front wheels going up or down hill.

Second hand tyre shops are great. I don't know of any in Osaka but there is a good one on Route 18 as you go towards Shiga Koen from Nagano City. Its right after akanuma traffic light (spelling might be wrong in English it should translate to Red Swamp)

I had a Pajero Mini 4WD. Autobaks wanted 12,000 a tyre and I think I got 4 from this shop for around 150,000 fitted.

What?? The charged you 100,000 yen for fitting??

I grew up in Canada and have driven several 4WD vehicles over the years. 4WD should have all four snow tires. The same goes for using chains. You can usually get away with only using one set on the front but their efficacy depends a lot on several conditions, the most important of which is the car you are driving. The drivers manual should have instructions for using snow tires and chains. As well, all of the chain shops (ex. Autobacs) will always recommend going for all four tires (it's part of their training). If the shop is going to charge a fortune like that I would suggest doing it yourself. It's pretty simple.

Clarification on what Black Mountain said.

For 2WD cars, tire chains are only used on the drive tires, i.e. for front wheel drive, chains are placed on the front two tires.

You can get great deals on snow tires at Costco.

I would recommend purchasing wheels as well, so that when you switch tires, you can just change out each set.

Costco offers free removal/mounting (and perhaps even balancing) if all the tires are purchased from them. You would save a lot of money unless you did it yourself or had a cheap garage.

Would exhibit caution with used/auction tires, as they might have a lot of tread but you have absolutely no idea of storage conditions, etc.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
You can get great deals on snow tires at Costco.

I would recommend purchasing wheels as well, so that when you switch tires, you can just change out each set.

Costco offers free removal/mounting (and perhaps even balancing) if all the tires are purchased from them. You would save a lot of money unless you did it yourself or had a cheap garage.

Would exhibit caution with used/auction tires, as they might have a lot of tread but you have absolutely no idea of storage conditions, etc.

Costco is where I saw the Michelins, but I'm loathe to spend 120k on tires. I'd rather use chains.

non- branded tyres?

I would've thought, with the engine up front, more grip would be at the front end going downhill, since more wieght would be on that axel. Going uphill, more would be on the rear axel than usual.

But dunno, I mainly drove my old 4WD SUV along flat tarmac.

how expensive are a set of chains?

My mate has a car this year, but won't be going to the mountains enough to justify splashing out 100k+ on tyres, so if chains are cheap then me and a couple of others will buy them for to use when he comes with us.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
how expensive are a set of chains?

My mate has a car this year, but won't be going to the mountains enough to justify splashing out 100k+ on tyres, so if chains are cheap then me and a couple of others will buy them for to use when he comes with us.

TB, about 20-25,000 yen. The latest ones are incredibly versatile to use and are made from a hardened plastic with studs.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Chains are super cheap. Start from 8000Â¥. Depends on the car, tires etc. TBH, I almost never use chains or snow tires. I think you can almost always get away without using them.

dunno about that BM, sometimes in the last few seasons I have seen all traffic beeing pulled off the road and inspected for snow tyres or chains. I would hate to get half way there just for the patrol to tell you you can't go any further! That would piss me off.

Good, chains are cheap, think we'll just bunce in for em and use them as we need em.

errr...if I was driving in the snow regularly I would most certainly invest in snow tyres..or at the very least chains. Your safety is the priority isn't it? I would not be too keen to go sliding all over the road.

Actually, I went through two of those 'checks' last season. Both times they had a quick look and then waved us through. Chains were in the trunk the whole time. The first time I went through one of those checks was on the way to Nozawa and it was in a blizzard. Once we got off the expressway it was a bit dodgy. Sliding here and there... kind of fun actually!

If you aren't used to driving in snow I would definitely recommend using them. I've had quite a bit of practice and know how far I can usually push my luck (touch wood). Now that I think of it, where I'm from in Canada its actually forbidden to use them. The first time I did was here in Japan!!

Not in Japan. Sometimes chains are compulsory. Snow tyres won't do. (if they haven't changed the rules) Their understanding were : snow tyres are marginally better than normal ones but not a substitute to chains.

Well, rules is rules, right? Drove to Nagano and Niigata at least 10 times last year on regular tires (not even all-seasons). No chains, no nothing! Now, my car is a 4WD, so that helps a little. You seriously don't need them if you know what you are doing.

I hate the notion that people have that using snow tires or chains are a substitution for common sense. Boneheads will end up in the ditch regardless of the safety equipment they use. It also seems that most people don't realize that once the chains go on the max speed you can drive is 50km/h. Slow down in snow!! Pretty simple concept!

Last season I could have almost done without changing to snow tyres other than a few days. I didn't shovel snow once. And that's in the official "Snow Country". It was depressing, I hope we're not in for another of those. Put on weight too because of the lack of snow shovelling!