Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
gareth...dont fall. simple wink

re:that $30 dakine camera block. I know a guy who bought it but ended up sending it back because it's not as big as the block you get in the sequence. It's not deep enough for a pro camera/body with grip.

the big difference you guys are missing when comparing the Dakine to the Fstop is 1)the internal frame and 2) the overall quality. The Fstop has an internal frame which keeps the shape of the bag, which makes a big difference on spreading out the load. This is especially important with a full pack and skis/snowboard strapped on when hiking. On the Dakine, the board swings back & forth with every step increasing the energy you have to use. When skiing/boarding, the bag with the internal frame stays close to your back and doesn't move. The dakine flops around. If you want to enjoy skiing/boarding and carrying a pack with your photo gear, the fstop is the handsdown winner.2) the overall quality is quite different. Dakine bags are good, fstops are way better made. Fstops can actually be demo'd this winter in Hakuba Ive heard but dont know about other areas.

Thats also one of the reasons I want ultralight skis

Ultralight skis will not help the swinging effect, neither will a light 169 snowboard! The pack frame is what keeps the boards in place. Light gear helps more on a climb if you don't have to sling it over your back.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. That Fstop bag looks really sweet but it's not exactly what I'm looking for as I'm looking for something more specific to just carrying camera gear (I've already got a sweet pack for some hardcore backcountry action). I only take my camera with me on fine days anyway and rarely when I'm in the backcountry. Bad weather or hardcore stuff is usually reserved for my digital video camera which can handle crap conditions without breaking.

I also emailed Dakine yesterday to ask them about using the camera block with different bags. They replied that their photo series backpacks are made specifically for the camera block so other backpacks may not function the same (but bags like Pro II or ones that have 25Ls or more would fit it inside).

Still not completely decided but it looks like I'm going to be making a shopping trip into Tokyo before leaving on our vacation to Niseko so I'll have a chance to actually handle the bags and make a more educated decision.

If anyone has anymore advice keep it coming! Still a few weeks before I'll be parting with my yen!

Originally Posted By: MikePow
No idea. It's reduced from US$49 (but everything is reduced in the US at the moment).

Always been happy with Dakine stuff. See no reason why this won't be good. Will let you know.

you skiing this winter MP?

Yep. But not in Japan.

1 day under my belt so far in the Powder Paradise of Wales. TR to follow shortly wink
No idea. It's reduced from US$49 (but everything is reduced in the US at the moment).

Always been happy with Dakine stuff. See no reason why this won't be good. Will let you know.

you skiing this winter MP?

Yep. But not in Japan.

1 day under my belt so far in the Powder Paradise of Wales. TR to follow shortly wink

Sorry to hear you won't be here this season Mike Pow - will certainly miss your pics.

Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up buying a Dakine bag. I got the Pro 2 26L bag (8000Â¥) and bought the camera block (4000Â¥) separately. The camera block fits comfortably in the bag and so far I'm quite happy with the way it feels, looks, etc. Any smaller of a bag (i.e. Heli 20L or Mission 20L) and I'm pretty sure the camera block wouldn't fit.

I'm hoping to get good use of it this winter with lots of pictures to follow! Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

hey black mountain, any chance you've got some pics of your bag? how well does the camera block fit inside the bag, and how accessible is it?

i was checking out the sequence today and thought it was a big big for what i need.

the 26L mission (camera block included) looks like it might be better for me, but wanted to see what you think of the pro..?

The camera block fits snugly into the Pro 2. It has back access so it works similarly to the sequence bag. There isn't much room for anything else once the block is inside. I think it's probably quite similar to the Mission bag except for the fact that it has an insulated hydration sleeve through one of the shoulder straps.

hey black mountain, cheers for the info. i was going to send you a PM, but it doesn't seem to be enabled. anyway...

i'm just wondering how hard/easy it was for you to find the camera block in tokyo?

i want to get one for my trip, but i'm in australia and they are hella hard to find. and getting one shipped out from the us is going to cost some ridiculous amount.

so did you get the block from a snowboard shop (Ogawamachi/jimbocho area?) or a big camera place.

i've got about a day or so in tokyo on my way through