in the old days, that's what Inns were.

I'd rather stay at sophisticated accomodation away from riff riff rowdies. They care only about their vacation without a thought that they are ruining everyone elses. Scumbags.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
in the old days, that's what Inns were.

I'd rather stay at sophisticated accomodation away from riff riff rowdies. They care only about their vacation without a thought that they are ruining everyone elses. Scumbags.

Well that's rather subjective, but that's why the up-/mid-market lodges/hotels exist, so you don't have to mix with the great unwashed. While I'm sure many will prefer skiing to keep its elitist appeal, what's wrong with people letting their hair down? I can hardly seeing that ruining the holidays of the package tourists and the well moneyed (who will probably be tucked up in well-made beds anyway).
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
I am thinking the same, is there any accomodation with a beautiful women or five to host a young strapping lad? Would prefer a hottub for apres ski and close proximity to good bars. Am I asking for too much wakaranai

beautiful women are in abundance, and so are the backpacker places which dont have bars above/below them. There are some nice places with good vibes and I have found two I like. I chose a place where my mates are and mates who run it over something near bars. If I want a bar its only a 10 minute walk. We usually get bottles of our own and talk by the fireplace rather than go out on the piss and get blind.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I am thinking the same, is there any accomodation with a beautiful women or five to host a young strapping lad? Would prefer a hottub for apres ski and close proximity to good bars. Am I asking for too much wakaranai

beautiful women are in abundance, and so are the backpacker places which dont have bars above/below them. There are some nice places with good vibes and I have found two I like. I chose a place where my mates are and mates who run it over something near bars. If I want a bar its only a 10 minute walk. We usually get bottles of our own and talk by the fireplace rather than go out on the piss and get blind.

When I come to Japan, I may ask to be admitted on such an adventure, sounds real fun!
Originally Posted By: thursday
You may ask, but you have to enjoy bashing Niseko first even though you HAVE NOT EVER BEEN there.

edited for clarity MitchPee smile

Edited for HD clarity.

while wearing a cravat and a smoking jacket? wink
Actually just chilling with a group of mates and having a few is a quality way to wind up your day on the mountain

tripitaka, are you a lager lout who would have a pint and then take off his shirt and stand in the middle of the street as people pass by and say "WHAT THE **** YOU LOOKIN AT" ? Just curious, as there are many ways of letting one's hair down.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
CB, you don't want to comment on where the better class of skier goes? Hakuba or Niseko? While there are few undesirables in Hkba, I imagine that there is more hell raising potential in Niseko.

They go to both, just like they go to Zao, Rusutsu, Hakkoda, Nozawa, Shiga, Yuzawa, or any other good mountain in this country.

Or would all you Hakuba bashers disagree with that?
Originally Posted By: tripler
i recommend La Neige Higashikan. Best hotel in Hakuba.

Its not in Goryu though.

Hostel-type accom is good if you want to meet people and especially if you're on your own. It's also good value at peak periods coz they generally don't put their prices up.

If you're in a group and will share a room, you can often get better deals elsewhere in a b&b, minshuku or pension. It's wrong to assume that somewhere called a backpackers is always going to be the best value. They can be a false economy. If a crowded kitchen forces you to eat out in an izakaya, you can end up paying more than you would for three courses and breakfast in a pension.

Not wrong there Mr. Wiggles.

Some Minshuku do great food. In general, the Ryokans have better room and the food is thought to be better, but some Minshuku turns out to be great. It can get expensive, when you stay in a "skiers' bed" (how the japanese call these b'packer styles) without food service and you have to go out.

I may be wrong but my feeling is that ryokan are often larger and more 'hotel' style while minshuku are often family owned, smaller and more basic, like a b&b. Or something like that.

minshuku 民宿 is short for 民間宿舎 basically, privately run accommodation for the public.

So categorically "pensions" fall into that, which is western style bread and coffee breakfast, western architecture, euro-name inspired cool people running it. 民宿 can be anything, rooms on top of a shop, japanese restaurant, ojisan&obasan kinda feel... usually comes with 2 meals. Breakfast normally Japanese (some serve japanese bread breakfast) and you can just stay without meals.

Ryokan 旅館 is Japanese style hotel classification and always comes with 2 meals. The meal is part of the major attraction (you can call this apre in a sense) and most ryokans have bus service, onsens, ping-pongs (if you are lucky)

You also get "ryokans" in downtown areas like Akasaka etc. that don't give you any meals. They're more like hostels or "backpackers".

Anyway, for skiing, I think you have to look at the whole deal

bed+bath+food*2+lift ticket.

You mightn't get the best value if you look at only the price of the bed.

Depends on what you put a value on.

Backpackers or likewise places give you a chance to meet people or get some of the low down on the resort.

Most minsuku or ryokans usually don't have that interaction happening.

Then there is always sleeping in your van! Nozawa is a great car camping resort.