• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest. I know we will get big dumps and they will come (maybe). Are people who are leaving soon starting to get a little nervous that there is no snow and not a lot forecasted??

We don't go until February but I have been checking the weather reports daily waiting for that first big dump of the season.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Just out of interest. I know we will get big dumps and they will come (maybe). Are people who are leaving soon starting to get a little nervous that there is no snow and not a lot forecasted??

We don't go until February but I have been checking the weather reports daily waiting for that first big dump of the season.

We're due to arrive in Hakuba on Christmas and yes we're nervous! Doing the same, checking reports daily and watching the cameras and praying!

Should be, the appropriate words.

I sure wouldn't like to have booked and spent lots of money on Christmas. It's just too unrealiable of late.

Of course easy for me to say that living here and not having any actual vested interest in it (other than wanting to enjoy the snow!) wink

And of course (2) I very much hope it is all good and fab everywhere by Christmas.

So the last 5 days of the 15 day forecast with temperature highs of -2 and lows of -11 and snow doesn't cheer you up in the slightest?

I'm pretty happy about it - Can't wait to try my new splitboard out!

I'm with best skier, Matt.

Like I said, personally it doesn't really matter to me. I have all season and can go when I want when it comes. I realise it does matter for lots of people though - both people visiting and the businesses.

I'm in a similar shoe as muikabochi

When it snows, I'll go. and I'll pick where it's most likely to be the better. And often when I'm out there, it happens.

November 2nd week was different cos it was missus' school holiday week, and me being out there a week before, we booked anyways hoping it will snow again. I left the week before and conditions were deteriorating and it needed to snow more.

But if I were to book a snow holiday based on forecast ... I'd book somewhere where there is snow so that it doesn't matter if it doesn't snow.

Originally Posted By: Matt
Looks like a potential major system from mid december (14th/15th) on

http://wxmaps.org/pix/NHanim.html

Christmas should be fine.

Matt, 2 weeks ago (below) you said it would dump this week. You got that wrong, why should I believe you now?

Looks like nothing until the 3rd or 4th of December after which theres a nice system shaping up on the medium range wx forecast.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/NHanim.html

Early days yet, but should keep an eye on it.

Leaving the forecast aside,

Do you guys reckon that the start of the season (Japan), by this I mean consistent snow condition, is about a couple of weeks behind compared to say, 20, 10, or 5 years ago?

Or rather you would say, it is not consistent anymore.

Up till 20 years ago I would say there were always snow at X'mas time and if we got snow early in Dec, it was WOW. We would go then and see the snow build up.

And this year, which counts the most and on topic - I think it's weird !

- It snowed in mid Oct~ early Nov in Tirol, where locals told me they have never seen happen in 25 years,

- Hasn't really snowed since then and when it should be snowing now. So really the season hasn't started for this year.

- It's not that cold.

- 5.6m in Whistler in Nov when ave. is 1.4m

- Snow in Texas. WTF

Heres another weather report

15 day Hakuba forecast

Thanks Matt. I didn't know they did that one for Hakuba. When I searched, it only came up with Nagano City.

If you're in Nagano, put all your room fans outside, point them south-east, and turn them on high. Let's pull some decent weather in!
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
I'm just going to chill out with some beer or wine and snacks and play videogames. Someone give me a know when it starts snowing proper!

Ditto here. Haven't even attached bindings yet to me board.

The accuweather forecasts are not very accurate - it seems that for the last month, they've been predicting low temperatures and snowfall for days 13-15, only for them to change to mild weather a few days later. However, a few days ago, weathernews.com were saying it should turn a lot colder, with snow from the middle of December. Ive got a trip booked just after Christmas, and Im not too worried by the lack of snow right now.

Ah nice blanket of 8cm or so in the mountains and 3cm in the city. Would be nice if we get a couple feet over these next few days of heavy snow!

Good to see that fluffy white stuff though. Especially with how light it is right now. biggrin