• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I love the big bowl of mud-pack curry that you get on the hill, throw in a katsu too......oh yeah!!! The all-u-can eat curry shack at tashiro, next to the lake is one of my faves!! yummy

I like a fair bit of Japnaese food, espeicially Ramen. Mud bucket curry with random deep fried minced meat on top must be an acquired taste. If you are on your way to Nozawa, I recommend checking out the Bashia supermarket (iiyama). Theres a pretty handy bakery in there (front left). Both the rice or pumpkin bread are worth trying. They are a nice change from the standard Japanese pun! One of the bakers speaks fluent English which helped me out.

You could try crashing hotel onsens after-hours. There's often an entrance that bypasses reception. Done it a few times, not because I didn't have my own place but I was coming back from somewhere late at night and I couldn't be bother walking up the hill. Wake up at 5am and get on your way, never had a problem. Except the time I stumbled in, couldn't find the onsen and then someone said, Hey this place is women-only!

'Twould take me a heap of dollars to accept the prize!

Airfares do not come cheap, and to go there for a 2 day ticket would be really silly!

FWIW, I'd enter a comp where the prize was a 2 week accom/lift tix at ANY resort in Japan!! And I'd be really p****d off if someone else won wink