• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, if you REALLY want to save money, don't ski! Simple really.

In a more general way, any money you don't spend can be "saving".

I love the big bowl of mud-pack curry that you get on the hill, throw in a katsu too......oh yeah!!! The all-u-can eat curry shack at tashiro, next to the lake is one of my faves!! yummy

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Yeah. Its just a small place and its buffet style. They have a large sign up saying Okawari....just dive right in!! smile

Yep and pretty cheap from what I remember too?

I nearly always bring my own lunch when I go skiing, beats having to wait in queues for ages to be served a load of slop, with the exception of one or two places which are actually quite good! I guess I just like to bring my own luncg as I can go sit and eat where I choose!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I love the big bowl of mud-pack curry that you get on the hill, throw in a katsu too......oh yeah!!! The all-u-can eat curry shack at tashiro, next to the lake is one of my faves!! yummy

Ate there last year. Had a few varieties of curry available as I recall. Did go back for seconds.
  • 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

One way you can save some money for overnight trips is to sleep in Escal Plaza at the bottom of Goryu in Hakuba. You only pay 1000Â¥ for the night!

What's the deal with that? I'll be arriving late arriving late at night and would love a cheap sauna/capsule type place to crash for just a few hours. Is it that type of place? Could i check in in the middle of the night?
Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

One way you can save some money for overnight trips is to sleep in Escal Plaza at the bottom of Goryu in Hakuba. You only pay 1000Â¥ for the night!

What's the deal with that? I'll be arriving late arriving late at night and would love a cheap sauna/capsule type place to crash for just a few hours. Is it that type of place? Could i check in in the middle of the night?

Ger...Also check out Goryu Drive Station. It's a capsule type of place that I like to stay at when I leave the family at home. Friendly, clean, and they have good breakfasts for like 500 yen. Also, they are pretty flexible for arrival time (anytime) as long as you let them know beforehand. It's about 2700 yen....no bath or sauna but hot showers for 200yen.

Ger, the 1000Â¥ at Escal plaza is so cheap because it's just to let you in to the lounge area outside of the baths in the basement. You'll be sleeping on the floor (carpet over concrete) if you don't bring something with you. It's also just a huge room with people coming and going throughout the night so ear plugs and eye shade would help out. You can't make any reservation there but it opens from 10pm. I think it's for people who arrive too late to stay in a normal place. I'd only suggest doing it if you are really hard up for cash because there are some places (backpackers) you can stay just down the hill for like 3000Â¥