Hey everybody! I'm new here. I live in Japan and I've gone skiing in Japan every winter for the past few years but this will be my last winter here in Japan before I move to the (snow-less) Singapore for two years. I'm hoping on getting as much skiing/snowboarding time as possible this year. I'm still a student so trips during weekdays are impossible. My plan right now is just to get a season pass at a big resort in either Yuzawa or Minikami for a day trip every weekend. I was thinking about GALA Yuzawa because it's really big but the reviews on this site say that it gets insanely crowded during the weekends. What do you recommend I do? What is the cheapest way for a student to go snowboarding every weekend at a decent resort? Thanks for the info and help guys!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why limit yourself with a season ticket if you are only going on weekends? especially is the conditions are crap, go down to the travel agent and get the Bus brochure for the overnight bus....you have the choice of a lot of ski-jo's so you can follow the snow and the most you'll pay for the trip, including bus and lift ticket will be around 11 grand

I thought a season pass would make sense if I wanted to ski a lot this winter season. For most of the resorts, a season pass ends up being cheaper if you plan on hitting the slopes more than 7-8 times. I was hoping there would be some kind of shinkansen season pass that would allow me to travel between Tokyo and Yuzawa/Minakami frequently.

You might be right about thinking that seasons passes are the way to go but I'm not convinced. You should do a little more research before committing to buying one. Most of the resorts I've been to offer discount coupons on their websites. I thought about buying a season pass in Myoko Kogen last season and after I factored in the discounts that each resort was offering I had to go 12 times before breaking even.

I think there was a thread on this site about seasons passes from different resorts as well as multi-resort passes. You should seriously look into that.

One way you can save some money for overnight trips is to sleep in Escal Plaza at the bottom of Goryu in Hakuba. You only pay 1000Â¥ for the night!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
there is - BUT - only if you use it every day. I guess the 18seishu kippu might save you money if you don't mind locals?

theres no weekend package or anything? bummer... what is this 18seishu kippu you speak of?

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
You might be right about thinking that seasons passes are the way to go but I'm not convinced. You should do a little more research before committing to buying one. Most of the resorts I've been to offer discount coupons on their websites. I thought about buying a season pass in Myoko Kogen last season and after I factored in the discounts that each resort was offering I had to go 12 times before breaking even.

I think there was a thread on this site about seasons passes from different resorts as well as multi-resort passes. You should seriously look into that.

One way you can save some money for overnight trips is to sleep in Escal Plaza at the bottom of Goryu in Hakuba. You only pay 1000Â¥ for the night!

thanks! i'll definitely start looking into that. 1000 yen for a night is really cheap for Japan.

sigh... i'll have to spend the next two winters in Singapore (so now snow for me) but hopefully I'll go to Vermont for 4 years after that.
Originally Posted By: madnessman
I thought a season pass would make sense if I wanted to ski a lot this winter season. For most of the resorts, a season pass ends up being cheaper if you plan on hitting the slopes more than 7-8 times. I was hoping there would be some kind of shinkansen season pass that would allow me to travel between Tokyo and Yuzawa/Minakami frequently.

yeah I understand that, but it will restrict you to that resort. meaning that if they have a bad snow year then you have shelled out for a dud ticket. I think a seasons pass is fine if you are living nearby but from Tokyo I reckon its a bit of a waste. you could just read the snow and go where the snow is best, meaning you can hit up a lot of different resorts. Just my 2 pence worth

You might also look into pre-season discount (hayawari) tickets. I won't post a link, but just do a web search for 早割リフト券.

You should also check the websites of ski areas you are interested in. Besides the discount coupons that have been mentioned above, some ski areas run their own 早割 promotions, though time is quickly running out for this season on the ones I have seen. I have also seen some student discount deals.

Buying discount coupon tickets before the season starts is a good way for sure to save some money, infact I have just bought some lift tickets today for one of the ski jo's near where I live, saved 9000 yen!

Only bought six for now, because may go to other resorts too!

Originally Posted By: thursday
If trying to save money, I'd take TB's advice seriously. He's a Scot wink

haha....yep, I drop a penny from my hand and it hits me in the back of the head!!
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Whats the name of the skijo near you snowdude?

Nobeyama, chaterase, or how ever it is spelt, about an hours drive or less! Not a big resort, but has over 1000 metre runs through the trees as well as some more challenging higher runs! Good for kids and adults alike!

Also Koumi rex and Fujimi are all within 1 - 1.5 hrs drive!
Nearest one to me is in Kiyosato 30 mins, but that is rather small!

i recommend doing as i am and finding a ride (i'm assuming you don't drive) and carpooling. if you can speak japanese use mixi.jp, i've had a lot of luck there and met some really cool people. last year i made deals with a couple dudes for free rides to the resorts for in-car english lessons, and then when we got to the resorts they usually even had free/discount passes for me! having trouble finding anyone where i live now, but it is possible if you have the balls to try it

How can I save money?

Don't buy any new gear would be the easiest way I guess. You can sometimes find nice gear in ordinary second-hand shops. I got a jacket, down jacket (TNF) and pants the other day for less than the cost of an Oakley replacement lens.

What Tubby Beaver said.

It's not about quantity, but quality. I'll rather go for a smaller number of trips (to good resorts with good snow conditions) vs. a larger number of trips to crappy resorts. GALA is convenient, but not great.

So car pooling or discount bus trips are your best best.

Students are rich nowadays, I couldn't afford to go more than once a year back when I was a student. :o

You might want to try Yahoo japan auctions, I have bought quite a lot of gear from there previously, even got my ski jacket through the auctions, was a fraction of the shop price and new at that. The snow shoes I got were brand new and half the price of a normal retailer!

Would not recommend buying ski boots, etc, as they have to fit your feet perfectly!

- Packing my own lunch saved me a ton of money (and I didn't have to eat mud bucket curry).

I don't get how if your a student you can't ride on weekdays. Do you have to turn up everyday? I wouldn't plan on moving to Vermont for the snow. I used to live in Manchester Vermont and it was damm cold and icey but with bugger all snow.