Jynxx, powder boards I've ridden are: Prior Khyber and Pow-Stick, Rome Notch, Burton Malolo and Fish (of course), LibTech something and Rad-Air Tanker (I think thats what its called). I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. All boards do exactly what they are supposed to and I've got nothing bad to say about their powder smashing abilities. The reason I recommended the Fish is that it suits the conditions at Niseko well. Since there isn't much mountain above tree line in Niseko you don't really need a big mountain board. You find yourself riding mostly in the tree there and that it where the Fish seems to really excel.

BTW, I'm 182cms and 76kg (those are the only measures I'll share in public wink ) Board length really depends on the style of board. The Fish I'm riding is the 156cms but I've also ridden the 160cm and thought it was really sweet cruising in the trees. Also, my board is the last model Burton made before they switched to the fish tail or mini swallow (whatever its called) and the channel system for bindings. Last year they made the Fish a little more flexible but stiffened it up again this year.

Cheers BM.

That's an impressive range. Some of I am considering having a go myself.

Your Fish must be the 2006 or something. Sick board!

The length is something to consider, thanks for the pointer.

I'm also looking at Venture.

Originally Posted By: rider69
As a snowboarder, there is nothing worse than switching your board to head to the park. The fish isn't going to do anything in the park. That means bringing 2 boards to the mountain or heading home to change the board. The fish does one thing well only.

Good Frickin Jimminy Cricket,

Why would you ever venture into the park on a powder day anyways? Are you Japanese?

Sarcasm aside, rockered boards seem to be great at handing most conditions fairly well. The only place i've heard complaints is if you are riding at high speed and/or conditions were you need exceptionally good edge control (expert carving, pipe, general gnar).

Other than that, the boards are great for having fun on, and ride better than cambered ones in pow.

But seriously, hurtin' Burton? Give your money to a company that makes their boards to last.

You reckon the Burton boards have a self destruct feature like laptops Oyuki?

Our adult Burton boards have been solid.

Had trouble with the little kids sticks - loads of delamination - but then again they tend to throw them down and bang them into things.

I am sold on my K2 Luna. I love it. Not sure anyone is going to convince me to buy a new board. Bindings yes - my bindings suck...but I [heart] my board.

Comes down to if you like (or don't like) the company.

My Jacket is Burton, and I love it. Saw a guy with the same Jacket boarding, we checked each other out and liked the style, so shakka bro.

As to boards, I think they are expensive (I can get a similar spec from Forum cheaper), too much graphics and hype, wouldn't consider one until BM suggested Fish.

I am happy that my Rome and Salomon is European made, and I do like locally made and locally tested boards. If it lasts for over 100 days abuse, I'm happy about it. Some boards I hear they have delamination problems. Burton is probably one of them. Made in China?

Most manufacturers, the top of the line is always the best when they carry so many boards.

Definitely so with Salomon. Can take a beating. I am always tuning up the Rome which my Missus loves to ride.

I don't understand why so much Burton hatin' around. They are a business, the same as Salomon (Adidas), Ride (owned by K2), K2, Libtech (Quiksilver) and all the rest of them. If you don't like their products, don't buy them, but don't put others down that do. I got accused by some moron on a different forum as being a Burton fan boy simply because I bought a Burton board and bindings (they were cheap from US). Really, if something ticks all the boxes for you, then who cares what name is on it.

Originally Posted By: Sciclone
I don't understand why so much Burton hatin' around. They are a business, the same as Salomon (Adidas), Ride (owned by K2), K2, Libtech (Quiksilver) and all the rest of them. If you don't like their products, don't buy them, but don't put others down that do. I got accused by some moron on a different forum as being a Burton fan boy simply because I bought a Burton board and bindings (they were cheap from US). Really, if something ticks all the boxes for you, then who cares what name is on it.

So very true. It's very funny how "core" some people think they are because they ride a Forum, and when I inform them that Burton owns Forum they tweak out.

Ride what you like and anyone that judges you will obviously isn't very well rounded in the sport. None of me or some of my rather famous skiing friends would ever judge someone because of the board/skis they had. Unless it was one of those plastic ones, that is just silly
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Some boards I hear they have delamination problems. Burton is probably one of them. Made in China?

Actually, if I'm to believe the label on the board it's 'handcrafted in the Austrian alps'. I agree that some Burton stuff is a little pricey. I bought this board, 2007 model, at the beginning of last season. I paid only 30,000Â¥. I rode the shit out of it last year and aside from one tiny ding it looks brand new. About 7 years ago I bought a Burton Royale and it's given me no problems and will still be going strong this season again. I'm certainly not one of the haters. I even bought Burton jacket and pants this season too. Honestly, I could give a flying f@ck about people criticizing my gear... just not into it. The reason I've been able to give so many boards a try is that I'm open to riding anything. Swapping with friends has always been my thing.
fish.jpg

I think it's often the case in sports like boarding that people turn against companies that get too successful. They have this conception that unless the company is just catering to the hardcore few they have become a sellout to the grassroots of the sport.
Originally Posted By: Go Native

I think it's often the case in sports like boarding that people turn against companies that get too successful. They have this conception that unless the company is just catering to the hardcore few they have become a sellout to the grassroots of the sport.

totally GN, its only cool when the select few use em, but as soon as it reaches the masses then its naff. Not just sports though, pretty much everything. In music in the UK, for example, Oasis were the cool kids band until they got so popular that every Tom, Dick n Harry liked em. Overnght they were yesterday's news (but still racking up record sales!). Apple are the only company that I can think off that has managed to buck the trend (slightly), even then there are still a lot of ex-apple lovers who bash them for selling out.

Some people have the same thoughts about Niseko. Great when it was a run down, slowly decaying ski area with no prospects for the future other than following so may other Japanese ski areas into bankruptcy. Now it's just a 'circus' and any self respecting hardcore skier/boarder wouldn't want to be there razz

I'm not at all keen on Tall Poppy Syndrome - I reckon if you worked hard and became successful you should be applauded not reviled.

That goes for people - retail businesses - manufacturers - ski resorts.

Here's a clap for all the people who have to put up with knockers at some stage just coz they have done well.

clap

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I'm not at all keen on Tall Poppy Syndrome - I reckon if you worked hard and became successful you should be applauded not reviled.

That goes for people - retail businesses - manufacturers - ski resorts.

Here's a clap for all the people who have to put up with knockers at some stage just coz they have done well.
clap

I would put up with all the knockers in the world!! evilgrin
Just don't give me the clap! wink

This thread has taken an interesting turn! I wonder where snowboarding would be if companies like Burton hadn't been so successful?

I kind of like putting up with big knockers... in fact I put up with big knockers everyday... one of the many wonderful things about living in casa Black Mountain!

BTW, MB, which board was your son looking at?

So why do people dislike Burtons, anyway ? Personally I don't giva toss about brands, but when you see one company bringing out so many and it just looks graphics, one does think it's a fashion statement. We know companys' are in for the $ but when quality goes down as the company gets big, I have a problem with that.

Not all product from one company's line is quality. So if they produce a huge rage of bottom quality graphics orientated gear with an added value name price tag on it, well... you will get reactionary reaction from some core boarders to whom fashion is secondary. But, I know one famous skydiving guy who says it's good to have haters cos that brings free promotion.

I know here in Germany, Burton is waay too expensive. Nitro, too. 19% consumption tax makes things expensive. The government is running a retail business with no overheads with shops being unpaid tax collectors, Great scam. And no consumer protection- you have to pay the government to have your case heard.

No I don't like big knockers. My first wife had them and it just gets sweaty in summer.

Friggin Jiminiy Cricket again,

now anyone who puts down Burton is some kind of small-minded,self-righteous self-proclaimed "hardcore" snowboarder? maybe thats true for a tiny percentage of people, but for anyone who has been in the sport for a while has seen burton turn from the largest and best company into simply the largest.

back in the day, all of the boards were made in Canada, vermont, or austria. Now most are made in China, with a few high-ends being still made in developed countries. Their boards used to be tough AND high performance. Now they are made to last a season (and have admitted as much).

Jake Burton alsi trued to copyright the word 'snowboard' for his companies benefit.

i used to be a big Burton fan, but nowadays they are more intersted in selling an image than a product.

the reason i brought it up in the first place is because there are still some great companies making excellent boards that last. Never summer and Smokin are two companies that offer 3-year warranties, while making amazing boards at competative prices.

I am over the whole hype thing, i just want a board that lasts and works. If you are a weekend snowboarder who sticks to the groomers, then maybe a Burton will last you. I'm guessing thats the majority of people who still stick up for Burton. Or ride a fish (like myself, i got it used cheap).

Like a head instructor in Whistler said, their high-end boards are the best thing you can ride... for a month. And then they break down.

The snowboard world does not revolve around Burton (as much as they would like it to). there are lots of other companies out there making great stuff. try it out.

lol You would say that CB!

I am getting a lot from this discussion - the good and the bad - seeing as I am making a massive investment in snowboards in just a few short weeks it is worth listening to this kind of banter before swiping the plastic thru the machine. I do appreciate it.