I recall a thread discussing reverse camber or rocker boards ... can't find it.

My 16 yr old is checking out one of the latest Burton boards with this feature and I was wanting to get some feedback from those who have ridden this type of board.

What is the conclusion on their performance in deep powder, and also on icier slopes?

TIA

The Burton is new this year, but I have had the Lib Tech version(Banana and C2 Banana). I would highly recommend them. Great in all condo's especially powder. General rule is you can ride a shorter board than normal. On Ice, the lib Tech's have Magna Traction which helps, but its still ice and if your a beginner, then you will still struggle.(it's a board, not a wand!)

Originally Posted By: timmyhugecans
(it's a board, not a wand!)

rollabout
Love that! Gonna have to tuck that saying away to be pulled out at the right time!

I hesitate to say it because 'advanced' means something different to every one... BUT ... my 16 yr old is riding in 'advanced' snowboard classes.. I think he will be able to wrangle whatever he has under foot. He is planning on returning to Niseko next season for a snowboard instructors course - so looking for some really good gear this trip. His board is a tad short for him as he has grown since we bought it 3 yrs ago.

He is keen on that new Burton one - done the research - watched the video's. I just really wanted to hear what riders who've actually given them a crack say...rather than the Burton propaganda! wink

Personally I'm interested in how long it will take to adjust to from camber to rocker boards and if I'd like it in the end.

I think in the end the choice will be made by how you like to ride it, where you going to ride.

In my case I went from 151 to 157 and the increase in length gives me so much stability, speed, edge hold on ice I even contemplate an extra few centimeters would be nice and here is were the trade-off and equation comes in with what Timmy said about, it can also be used to ride longer boards and will feel shorter. The length of effective edge is what counts and patented tech (ie: Libtech magnatraction ) will give you an added bonus, is the way I see it.

Another way to go (and I like this idea) is having rocker partially in the tip (have a look at Atomic Banger. Really like to try this one) for powder conditions.

At the moment, I am and I want to ride all conditions, adjusting to the changes in snow well, and don't want to deal with big changes in board tech from camber to rocker.

I have the Gnu Banana Magne Traction. Not sure about the magne traction feature (don't remember the last time I rode on ice...), but the reverse camber definitely allows better floatation in powder. I have the bindings fully centered on the board so that I can ride switch in powder conditions. That wouldn't work as well with a regular board.

all good points Jynxx.

Personally I love my K2 Luna and am taking a lot of convincing to buy a new board for me.

But the boy will be doing the majority of his riding in Japan over the next few years - we are considering trading the Aussie winter family ski trip [so no Thredbo slopes this year] for an Aussie Winter SUN getaway with the kids (the baby bear has been begging for a 'paradise' holiday for a few years) - so a board well suited to powder is important for him....

I think we might get that one for him...will let you know how he finds it.

(MrSingh - also good points! He like to ride centred and duck stance so that will work for him)

Mamabear, The real advantage to rocker boards is either in pow or park. If he is going to be riding on trails mostly I would not suggest a rockered board. However, if he is going to be hitting jumps, rails, and going into the deep stuff I would definitely say go for it. Rockered boards in powder are probably the most fun thing ever. They stay afloat a lot easier and allow for some buttering in the pow biggrin.

If he is riding park he will have a lot of fun too because they press like a mother effer. Popping on them is reallll nice too. If you want any recommendations of specific boards let me know dance

Mamabear, I have passion in teaching so I think a lot about the subject. Since your kid is going to instruct he will probably have to step back and snowboard like a beginner, demonstrate boarding that way, and be using freestyle orientated shorter, twin tip, centre stance, duck ... which is where I started.

By the way, I still like my 151 although I don't use it that much.

So I think there is no one quiver all-for board and maybe the new kids on the block will be using rockers so it might make sense teaching people on these - meaning your kid might get a board for instructing purpose.

I reckon it would be hard work on pow boarding centre stance especially on shorter boards.

So, would it be better for people who are learning in pow conditions to be starting on directional, wider nose and tapered, set back stanced boards? I wonder.

I also wonder how hard will it be for people who has been on amazing pow like Niseko find it in lesser conditions. I remember when I was a teenager, I went to Niseko and thought I was a pro, cos it was so easy.

Which instructors course is he doing?

Mitch he will def be park and POW.

Jynxx - we have made inquiries with a NZ company that runs a course in Niseko, I had to contact because he will be under 18 when he goes, but completed high school - so we have plans to meet up THIS year, they will ride with him, check him out and see if they think he is mature enough to go for next season.

Why Niseko and not NZ? Because he can do the course in his School/Uni break, so no time off Uni. Not so much because it is easier riding conditions. He has spent the last two Southern winters doing Advanced and Park snowboard school in Cardrona NZ - so he has ridden his fair share of rocks and ice.

I hope he does the course a) because he would LOVE spending a season up there, and B) because I think he would make an excellent teacher - got the right social outlook as well as a truckload of patience. Can't tell you how many times he has heaved his old Mama out of the snow and explained the simplest concepts over and over again - all with a smile.

Talking to some of the guys at the LBS, they said makers are starting to go for a gull wing or W shape board, so it has the advantages of both rocker and camber boards.

Perhaps try demo-ing a rocker or other styles first... He may find he hates it, may absolutely love it. Either way, its better to know before you spend a healthy wad of cash on it.

Mamabear, you guys have something good goin'

Good on you !

Sciclone, I'd love to demo boards myself. It really is a feeling thing, isn't it?

Beginning of last year I was riding switch cos I wanted to ride both ways, and maybe learn some tricks. Now, I'm looking at the whole mountain. weather and stuff ...

MB, I switched to a GNU reverse camber board this year and after 30 days of riding in AUS & NZ I would highly recommend it particularly for AUS conditions where, as you know, more time than not is spent riding in icy conditions. The Magna Traction gives me that extra confidence to push harder, knowing that I will have that extra something when it comes to a halt on an ice skating rink.

There is definitely a greater ease in popping the board but at my age even if the board was a hover board I think I would have trouble getting it airborne.

I did feel that there was a little lose in flat out speed on cat tracks compared to my other boards. I found that I was just that little bit slower than the other in the group, but again it was just marginally and maybe that was my style rather than the board.

I have yet to try it in real pow and depending on the weight of my board bag I may see if I can fit it in with my Burton Maloo for the trip to Japan and maybe see how the two compare.

No one board with be the answer to park and pow. I may be wrong about this but I think every Burton board this year has some type of rocker to it. My own personal feeling is that if you are a pro~ish and spend most days of the season on the hill you'll notice a difference. Most other people probably won't.

If you are looking for a Burton board suited to riding in Niseko, I'd say go with the Burton Fish. It's the best board I've riden in powder and it seems like it's built for a place like Niseko. I think this years model of the Burton Fish has gone back to a slightly stiffer board as well, which is a good adjustment (last year's model was a little more flexible... i think). The Malolo is great too, but the Fish seems to give a bit of extra float. If you look around you'll also notice that there are quite a few people riding the Fish in Niseko...

my two yen!

I wouldn't be getting reverse camber boards anytime soon unless I lived at the mountain and skied nothing but pow with them. It would be over-kill and most of my skiing is just-off-piste at resorts anyway -- not many DEEP powder lines in the serious BC unfortunately.

Fat skis sure, but reverse camber??? Bottom line is --way too CORE IMO. Like for nothing-but-powder (and park I guess). Mamabear, you have to ask yourself: "Is my son really ready for something that hard-core?"

oh...I think he is certainly ready for that progression.

And he is not going to grow any more now - so why not get him the board that will last him until he wears it out, he has 3 weeks riding in Niseko this year, but staring down the barrel of a whole season the next.

He has had a week in the Southern Hemi - either Thredbo or QT for the past 4 years also (ski the first, board the rest), and will possibly have that again. So it is not going to be sitting in a board bag to be dragged out once or twice in a season.

We are buying a new board anyway - may as well be a good one.

BM - good feedback - I will have him look at the fish. His current board rides well in the park and he bought one of those little short trick boards 2 yrs ago as well to play with.

Ratherb@ - LOL @ the hoverboard. I am a bit the same. Feel like I am flying but there is lucky to be air the width of a matchstick under my board lol

Many of the new park boards are rockered. This makes it easier to butter the board. The Fish is is total overkill and useless outside of the powder. K2 have a couple of killer rocker all mountain boards.

Rockers are crap on ice but then again ice is a snowboarders nightmare.

@rider69,

You honestly think the Fish is overkill? I've been riding various powder boards around Japan for quite a while now and would strongly disagree with you. In fact, I've riden loads of different powder boards in Niseko alone and have to say that it's the best board for the terrain, trees and snow there. Of course the Fish isn't that good outside of powder, that's not what it's designed for. IMO, all mountain boards are usually ok for everything but great for nothing.

As a snowboarder, there is nothing worse than switching your board to head to the park. The fish isn't going to do anything in the park. That means bringing 2 boards to the mountain or heading home to change the board. The fish does one thing well only.

I hear ya... and I take it you've never been to Niseko. On a powder day, not only would I never think to bring two boards to the mountain, I would never head to the park. If you are planning on spending an entire season in Niseko you NEED a powder board. No all mountain board would cut it. Having a few different boards on hand would never be a bad thing anyway.

Sorry, I read the message MB posted that said her son already had a park board. Maybe he needs two... my opinion is that diversity in a quiver ensures that you'll have a stick for any condition. I've got my bag of tricks sorted and always bring three boards with me just to be sure. This year's Fish is also rockered (for what it's worth smile )

BM,

interested to hear what powder boards you have ridden. What's your weight and board length?

I can definitely see the point IF it's pow pow everyday everywhere.

All mountain/Freeride board is me and I can feel my rear thigh burning in pow. I'm not that used to board with that leg. That's it for me. What I have suits the condition where I am at.

But, yeah, interested to hear what makes fish so good compared to the other beef, and would it cut on ice like sashimi or... confused