I'm curious about this too. Do a lot of people on SJ have houses that they rent out for the season or something similar? When I come next year I would gladly pay a portion of rent to live in a house with a common liking of snow smile

Just a share house that a group of mainly snow boarders rent out for the season. Happens at perisher (Aust) alot where lifties working for the season share the expense with the occassional friend dropping in for a few weeks.

Rider Houses are extremely basic and cheap accommodatin mostly catering to motorcycle or bike riders who converge on Hokkaido during the warmer months. They only exist in Hokkaido and have nothing to do with skiing or boarding. They are generally located along popular cycling and motorbike touring routes. I don't know of any in Niseko itself.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I haven't heard of them either.... but my first thought was a type of hostel/YMCA for boarders... hahahahah

I guess we live in a rider house. All 4 of us ski and it makes borrowing passes, sharing rides, trips, etc a lot cheaper! It's kind of a cool experience. Tends to get on the messy side though.

Ok, I guess that's not the way to go then! Does anyone have a room to rent out for three weeks though? To a very nice norwegian girl who loves to ski! I'll be in Niseko from dec. 30th until jan. 21st.

Or does anyone know of any nice, cheap hostels where people who are just after good skiing/boarding stay?

• SnowJapan Admin

Hello msscott. It depends what you mean by reliable! I would hope it is.

The information that you input/send gets sent directly to the accommodation people - and they should get back to you. [it's them that gets back to you, not SnowJapan]

Actually, if people are not replying to your enquiries, please let us know about it (email to editor@snowjapan.com).

Thanks and good luck.

(By the way, when did you send in this forms?)

I'll be patient I promise! I just sent them today, but I sent one last week, that hasn't gotten any response yet. I hope somethings still available, if not I'll have to go hunting for a new roomie (guy) everynight! I guess the rumor will spread quickly... juust kidding smile

Thanks for your help!

• SnowJapan Admin

Just for the record, msscott - I don't know if your number '30' was just a guess or not, but we haven't seen 30, or close to 30, forms filled out by the same person today. (We do get copies of forms as a backup). Just in case and if you think there is a problem please feel free to contact us.

I would hope that accommodations do respond even if they can't accommodate you, but that is out of our hands. friend

Good luck.

Hey, I know that Morio from Kanon Lodge isn't allows the fastest at replying. The last time I got in touch with him I think it took him almost 3 weeks to get back to me. I find it's best to just call him (if possible from wherever your are!)