Hi,

Never been snowboarding before or to japan and I just want to make sure before i spend a boot load of cash that hakuba 'should' have good snow, especially for a beginner in early jan?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Alex

We've been around for nine years now and even when its been ropey at Christmas, its dumped like mad over New Year. Early Jan should see everything open. If anything, the bigger concern would be blizzard like weather. Poor viz, snow on the chops, and cold aren't good for beginners, who don't always have the best skiwear.

First time on a snowboard? Padded shorts aren't a bad idea, especially for the girls.

What about Hakuba last year? Kanto conditions were pretty terrible if I remember correctly. When I went to Hakuba last year it was icy and there was hardly any off-piste powder.

Hope it's different this year.

edit: I guess I should add that I know Hakuba can be pretty great as I went there 3 times the year before and I was up to my chest in snow sometimes.

Last year was genuinely bad, but that was the exception not the rule. No offpiste doesn't affect beginners, but bald patches on the piste like last year certainly do. It was worse in February than January anyway.

You can have icy anywhere at any time, even on a massive base. All it takes is a couple of sunny days in a row to melt and refreeze the snow surface. You can feel it at a nighta after a sunny day even.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
You can feel it at a nighta after a sunny day even.

lol Don't even bother with a Thredbo nighta after a sunny day - it is like slippery wet highly polished CONCRETE!
clap for fluffy cold and soft Niseko Nighta's!
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: AlexMcD
Come on snow... only 3 weeks till i am there... i dont want to waste my money!

im going on the 27th of dec, and im not worrying too much, next week is meant to snow pretty good.

edited the date biggrin

from SJ Daily Reports - 5 Jan 2007:

"Once again our on-slope team of observers report lots of rocks and other obstacles (mysterious holes, drainage ditches, odd bits brick-a-brack) on the lift accessible, groomed terrain."

Originally Posted By: rider69
All the forecasts are pointing to a massive storm about to come in.
The Matsumoto mad rush to change tires is in full effect.
Might we be seeing a 2005 type of December ending for snow?

Actually, I think the weather charts are promising but it is really quite warm and it feels like autumn has only been with us for a 3 weeks.