My Japanese friend told me on Saturday that Kandatsu Kogen in Yuzawa Niigata may well not open next year due to its really bad financial position. Something about the management going down and the place up for sale? ??? eek.gif

Anyone heard anything about either that or any other rumors?

Not to worry, even if it really goes under I`ve got a feeling SOMEBODY will pick it up right away(just like Aizu Kogen Takatsue this season). Speaking of which I was in the Yuzawa area yesterday and saw Kandatsu Kogen bald...it was quite a strange sight!

Well, I was a vulture and picked the carcass of somebody who was leaving, so only 5,000 yen. But normally in this country they're about 15,000 to 20,000 yen. If you look on www.rei.com, you can get them cheaper than that.

I figured 20,000 was way too much, but 5,000 with a shovel thrown in seemed like a bargain.

I was talking with some Japanese colleagues last night and they had heard the same. Seems the resort has been really stuggling the last few years and this might be the end of it.

Too bad about Kandatsu. That was the only Niigata resort I liked.

It had that steep (but not long, unfortunately) front mogul hill. It was never crowded and always a blast.

And it has a great collection of onsen in the lodge, including a rotenburo, bubble jet bath, cold water bath, steam room and sauna.

What a great place. Day trips from Tokyo, including shinkansen fare, lift ticket, onsen admission and 1000 off lunch, all for about 13,000 per person.

If it closes, I probably won't bother going up to Niigata because the other resorts there just don't interest me very much.

That is, if I go back to Japan!

• 2 weeks later...