• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what would I know wink

seems like not alot. Seems like your a skier...totally different lines.

Not here to bitch but get frustrated at incorrect info, your basing your opinion on 3 average days at Tomamu. Mate I lived in Niseko for nearly 5 years before it turned into a circus, days when there were only a handfull of us whiteys up there, before there was any need to get first lifts cause you could find pow all day. Leaving there was the best thing I ever did because powder on the door step causes complacency and it forced me thoroughly explore the rest of Hokkaido and find stupid terrain and very very sick japanese riders.

Go see the Danchi movie on sat and see some more of what Hokkas has to really offer.

Black diamond has the point, exactly 6 turns then flats ...

Personally though I wouldnt rate Asahidake that high, I know other places better but need good hiking but long,long powder runs ,hairy cliff drops and bastard long hikes out but well worth it.

A move to Hakuba would be great, love the place but what about places like Tenjin and Hakoda,definitely going back there this winter..

Originally Posted By: Mongoose
But what would I know wink

Quote:
seems like not alot. Seems like your a skier...totally different lines.
Not here to bitch but get frustrated at incorrect info, your basing your opinion on 3 average days at Tomamu.

Me either, but that's all I can base it on. I've said the potential is awesome, but for what Thursday was looking for I felt Kiroro was a better fit. Will I return to Tomamu? Yes if the conditions are good. Btw I didn't have one average day at Kiroro last winter.

Quote:
Mate I lived in Niseko for nearly 5 years before it turned into a circus, days when there were only a handfull of us whiteys up there, before there was any need to get first lifts cause you could find pow all day.

Still can in my experience.

Quote:
Leaving there was the best thing I ever did because powder on the door step causes complacency and it forced me thoroughly explore the rest of Hokkaido and find stupid terrain and very very sick japanese riders.

Go see the Danchi movie on sat and see some more of what Hokkas has to really offer.

I know that Hokkaido has terrain that would make the Honshu boys gasp, christ even the Niseko area does. Some of the stuff that was skied and ridden and photographed near Kyogoku last winter is balls to the wall.

Quote:
Black diamond has the point, exactly 6 turns then flats ...

I know I'm a skier and I like to squiggle, but 6 turns!

Quote:
Personally though I wouldnt rate Asahidake that high, I know other places better but need good hiking but long,long powder runs ,hairy cliff drops and bastard long hikes out but well worth it.

I agree. Kurodake shits all over Asahidake IMHO.
Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
sadface Okay now I don't like this thread at all!!!!

I want to go there now and not Niseko!!

Must admit when I read this thread I was thinking that a side trip - leave the 'stuff' in Niseko and just take what we need - might be in order. We want to head to Otaru for a fish feast anyway, so we could overnight it in Sapporo and check out Tomamu...

Best of both worlds. Don't think either/OR...thing "I can have everything" thumbsup
Originally Posted By: MikePow

I know that Hokkaido has terrain that would make the Honshu boys gasp, christ even the Niseko area does. Some of the stuff that was skied and ridden and photographed near Kyogoku last winter is balls to the wall.

Kyogoku, so you boys hiked Yotei?

Thursday, Snowhuntress,

Some of the hotel buildings and facilities are a little worse for wear, like in need of paint or sticking some tiles back on the exterior walls, and some of the lift towers show a little rust here and there, but the rooms are fine and the general experience fine. I can't remember how many years ago I was there (3? 4?), but it was less than 20!

Snow conditions were a little wet and sticky at the bottom when I was there, but it was an off week. There were piles of soft stuff and untracked lines up at the top without even going out of bounds.

The one lift right next to the train station and that section of the resort does not appear to be running, on my visit, or the several times I've passed along the way to Sahoro or parts further East.

The wave pool is awesome! It would be even better if they had a legitimate onsen on site(they have a public bath facility complete with rotenburo, but no naturally heated hot spring water).

Originally Posted By: Mongoose

Plenty of cheap pensions around if you have a car and as black diamond said the resort is well priced

Hi Mongoose

My friends and I are going to do a couple of days at Tomamu (then Sahoro, then Asahidake, then Kurodake) - we are arriving at the end of Jan (with a van). On a weekend, will we need to book a pension first for Tomamu? We always book in advance, but if we can just rock up & find a place, then ..... maybe we should risk it.

got any recommended pensions for tomamu?

thanks