Seems like a real mega resort.

Have you been? What do you think of all the facilities?

Would you consider going given all the things you see about it.

Landing at Shin Chitose, is the train the quickest way?

Many thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have the cat and heli but it's really made for the "cat" or "heli" ride more so than the actual skiing but great for intermediates.

They also have a crazy "waterwold". crazy special double wide buses shuttling you around, a big snow village, snwombiling etc. I went many weekends in the "golden days" before they used to have cat and heli and a tree skiing bib system. It used to be tied in with the Kamori Super8 pass so lift tickets were free. My wife had a special membership where it only cost 3500yen/person pernight to stay in rooms up to the 33rd floor. And the penthouse complete with hottub was only 6500yen! it was amazing...and a bit creepy.

The place was like a ghostown and some days there were only a handful of guests. The last night of the season (still got great pow) we went in to the 200 seat buffet hall and I guess surprised the 30 plus staff who then proceeded to uncover the giant "fresh food" spread. They all just stood at their stations and watched us have dinner, Alfred Hitchcock style.

The place has 4 36 story towers and several other large buildings many connected with glass corridors. The "big picture" was interesting, just way ahead of it's time...what year was Bladerunner set in?

Normal resorts build in something we call "stages", not all at once. And NOT just as the country's bubble is reaching maximum burst. They could have stopped and surely knew this was a no win situation. Developers could learn from this, but I doubt they care as long as they themselves get paid. Niseko seems to have avoided this fate so far but bring on the Hanazono billion dollar project, Capella and Niseko Village boyz! (actually I think Niseko will work just because this is now an international market and is set to be "the resort" for asia).

Sorry I've got AADD.

Getting back to the good things that came out of Tomamu.

They have runs cut out on the next mountain for the "expansional phase two" which have now become great "out of bounds" runs and they also have decent night skiing. Good lifts and great tree runs, off the backside too (but you have to hike out). It stays cold there so you can usually find good snow somewhere. The Tomamu train station was even built connected to a double chair so that you can start skiing immediately, pretty cool concept.

I don't know why some diss Tomamu, I think it's an awesome resort and experience, especially when you do day trips to Sahoro.

The hotels were a bit dilapitated 7 years ago, and tiles were litterally falling of the outside of the towers' bubble era built walls but I think they have revamped the place (see the new pics and the new "colorful" accent tiles, like they did it on purpose) and are getting a large Asian following, one that doesn't ski the tress!

Having lived in Niseko for 4-5 yrs in the days before it turned into a 3 ringcircus full of ...I hit Tomamu every chance I can, usually after a few days in the Tokachidake area backcountry.

The place has great terrain,great powder and if you do the cat some sick , sick pow.

The whole lecture thing is a hoax. Sign a release form , grab a bib and helmet and you can ride anywhere you pretty well want.

http://www.snowtomamu.jp/en/gelande/map/

Dont bother riding to the bottom as its a flat run back to lift back to the top.Just do lap after lap through the trees up the top, get a good day here and you'll be stoked fro the season.

Plenty of cheap pensions around if you have a car and as black diamond said the resort is well priced and heap of fun, especially the wave pool.

Be wary of drinking in the ice bar as bloody exxy by japan standards.

the smorgasbord feeds a gem!

Getting popular stay for a day or 2 with the foreign crowd but you can find days of powder up there during the week.

If your game and know what your doing there is some great back country out there.

Its one of those hokkaido gems thats definitely worth the trip.

Alot of people get skunked by bad weather but if you know what weather patterns dump snow at what area in hokkaido you'll have a blast.

Then there's the park and Super Pipe. Alot of Japan pros come up to train on the pipe and some days you'll see some sick riding going down!

Way better than the pyscho rush for lines and poached out madness at niseko !! That place is Not the be all and end all in Hokkaido, not by a long shot!

Spend a couple of days there, no rush for pow lines and you'll be exploring freshies till you bust.

Alot of koreans getting there now but all stick to the gelande.

Weekends can be busy. theres train from Sappy if you havent got a car and you can get train,lift pass and free curry lunch for bugger all.

Top spot!

As I mentioned in another thread Thursday, it's definitely an experience.

The restaurants were impressive. The fact that there's no bar or communal meeting area was a downer.

The in-bounds skiing is short and sweet. Great stuff above the non-working last lift. Flat as Hanazono to get back to the bottom of the gondola.

Kiroro has so much more to offer in all facets, and isn't a mission to get to.

My 2 yen worth

ah... thanks Mike, we saw a sign for Kiroro on our way from Otaru to Asari over summer. Wanted to take a look but the onsen was calling.

I want to make this the first ski trip for my kid, so it has to be vetted by his mum.

I've heard good things about Kiroro also. Especially tha Piano place.

Originally Posted By: MikePow

My 2 yen worth

Mate you dont reckon Kiroro isnt flat...faaark its a skating hell. Yeah theres some good terrain if your in the know. Strapping on the shoes and hiking outta the ski area is the go!
Spend some time at Tomamu and really get to know the terrain and you'll find hits and shrooms and powder stashes all day.
Have a go at the superpipe it can be intimidating.

Like I said , dont ride to the bottom and just do lap after lap. theres a couple of great jumps under one of the lift lines.

If your going there hang in bars your dreaming, aint gunna happen but if you have a car your a short drive to some of the best back country in Hokkaido...
and yes there is other and better areas than kuro and asahidake.

Ski,

You figure? Given Japanese employment standards I'm guessing same bunch of buttheads, 20 years older and even more impressed with themselves.

That said, there may be some great snow & runs there. I have enough good stuff elsewhere not to bother. 2 cents fWIW/YMMV

Originally Posted By: Mongoose
Originally Posted By: MikePow

My 2 yen worth

Mate you dont reckon Kiroro isnt flat...faaark its a skating hell. Yeah theres some good terrain if your in the know. Strapping on the shoes and hiking outta the ski area is the go!

The terrain accessible off the nagamine lift, with ZERO hiking or skating is worth the price of admission alone.

And then you've got days and days of untracked in-bounds terrain before you even need to think about heading out the back.

Quote:
Spend some time at Tomamu and really get to know the terrain and you'll find hits and shrooms and powder stashes all day

No different from Kiroro.

Quote:
Have a go at the superpipe it can be intimidating

I'm sure it is, but I ski Hokkaido to ski pow.

Quote:
Like I said , dont ride to the bottom and just do lap after lap. theres a couple of great jumps under one of the lift lines.

If your going there hang in bars your dreaming, aint gunna happen but if you have a car your a short drive to some of the best back country in Hokkaido...
and yes there is other and better areas than kuro and asahidake.

And I think Thursday is looking for an all around family holiday.
Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Ski,

You figure? Given Japanese employment standards I'm guessing same bunch of buttheads, 20 years older and even more impressed with themselves.

That said, there may be some great snow & runs there. I have enough good stuff elsewhere not to bother. 2 cents fWIW/YMMV

Given the turnover of staff and companies owning some skijos, might reckon its changed hands 15 times!

Thank you Thursday for posting this thread. It has been very very interesting reading. thumbsup

We are now looking into going there in 2011.

Just how rund done is the hotel?? Do they still have hot water and clean sheets?? As long as I can come back after a days skiing and have a hot shower and get into a clean bed I will be happy.

you can be sure it'll have that, it's a 5 star resort. The Galleria Tower is the most luxurious with a jaccuzi in the room looking out onto the mountains.

They even answered my email, in English, the very next day.

Hey Thursday,

Why not go to both? It won't be much more $$ and your family would love it. Stop in Sapporo too, awesome city an they offer day trips to a few resorts incuding Kiroro (but if I was with the fam I would probably stay at kiroro).

But if you had to choose one (and it was mid jan or later after everything fills in) I would do Tomamu just for the apres entertainment (again this with Sahoro a 20 min bus ride away) is much better than Kiroro IMO. You get easier snow at Kiroro, probably the deepest in Hokkaido, but for sheer awe factor (what were they thinking style) and sunny days, it's Tomamu. And if you just look around, you'll find good pow and longer, steeper runs.

PS. you can even rent your own run for the day!

Like I said before...all in one, Train, lift ticket and free curry lunch ex Sapporo or Chitose, cheap as chips and for snowboarders awesome terrain in bounds and awesome outta bounds. The main thing you have to know your weather and what systems drops snow on what area.

To answer Mr Pow..jeez mate it seems like magic mushies are legal in Japan again cause I dont know what your on but to say Kiroro on piste powder and terrain is better than hiking out ..well you gotta be on something.

How many Days have you done at Tomamu ??? How many at Kiroro ?? Tomamu and the surrounding areas within an hrs drive has some of the best terrain in Japan. But what would I know, only lived and ridden Powder here in Hokkaido for nigh on 10 years. Hey but you seem to be the expert!!

Thursday !! Mate, its a sweet place for the family, the twin towers are great accomodation, theres good reataraunts from cheap curry rice to top notch waggu steaks. Theres the whole ice festaval scenario that goes on there, the ice bar, carvings, fireworks etc etc. Then theres the wave pool !! Jeez the groms will be bored outta their minds!!

Originally Posted By: Mongoose

To answer Mr Pow..jeez mate it seems like magic mushies are legal in Japan again cause I dont know what your on but to say Kiroro on piste powder and terrain is better than hiking out ..well you gotta be on something.

Take another read, that's no what I said.

Quote:
How many Days have you done at Tomamu ??? How many at Kiroro ?? Tomamu and the surrounding areas within an hrs drive has some of the best terrain in Japan. But what would I know, only lived and ridden Powder here in Hokkaido for nigh on 10 years. Hey but you seem to be the expert!!

3 at Tomamu. Admittedly 3 very average days. 18 at Kiroro.

And I'm not disputing that the terrain out of bounds at Tomamu and in the surrounding areas is superb, but I read the brief which was for a family holiday.

But what would I know wink

Kiroro also has Yoichidake, a great hike with even better views if the weather cooperates...AND you're all but guaranteed pow, but I liken it to Asahidake. Everyone raves about the place and indeed it's the no.1 backcountry resort in Hokkaido, but I need more than six good turns before a long flat section. Maybe I should move to Hakuba stir

BTW Happy Birthday MP.