Hi All

I'm headed to Japan for 2 weeks in February for a honeymoon of onsen and snowboarding (me) and skiing (her). We live in Washington State in the US, and we like trees and pow. We rode Rusutsu 2 years ago and loved it. We're going to be traveling between Nagano, Niigata, and Akita to explore onsen and skiing along the way.

We're looking for recommendations for more out of the way skiing/riding experiences similar to the vibe at Rusutsu in the Nagano and Niigata areas. No crowds, short lines, and chill management that is ok with crazy gaijin hitting the trees to get the freshies. Ideally situated somewhere with immediate apres-ski onsen action is a bonus.

Nozawa Onsen seems like an obvious jumping off point, but there are so many hills to choose from, we're hoping to find something more obscure. For those familiar with the Northwest, we hate Whistler (expensive, touristy, congested) and we love Mt Baker (cheap, burly, uncrowded) if that's any calibration. Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help is appreciated!

Originally Posted By: SKI
Hi wave

Nozawa is a good choice.

Do you have a route planned so far or is it all in the open still?

Our route is fairly wide open. Our other goal is to stay in some classic ryokan and hit some remote onsen (tozawa kogen is exciting in this regard), so I've been planning a general journey from Osaka all the way up to Akita. But what spots to hit on the way? I turn to the experts on these forums!
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Close to Nozawa as well is Madarao which has some "official" tree runs that are getting some decent reviews. Go midweek to avoid all the kids!

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/spotlight/madarao-kogen.html

Whoa this place looks very cool. I like the Hillman Adventures backcountry tour option as well. Thanks for this hint.

NorthwestShred, welcome to SJ!

I'm in Seattle and hitting Niseko in Feb, super stoked about it biggrin

It'll be my first time riding in Japan, so I don't have much in the way of suggestions. But it sounds like a great trip!

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
NorthwestShred, welcome to SJ!
I'm in Seattle and hitting Niseko in Feb, super stoked about it biggrin
It'll be my first time riding in Japan, so I don't have much in the way of suggestions. But it sounds like a great trip!

Hey right on man. Btw I highly suggest Rusutsu if you're at Niseko. There are no lines end endless awesome tree runs and chill management. It's a Baker-size mountain, not a lot of acreage, but what is there is quality. Have a great time!
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Yep, you can definitely add Myoko to that list. All resorts there except Akakura Onsen have great tree runs.

My mate took tons of pics there and the trees at Akakura looked steep and well spaced. Am I wrong about that? Was it Seki?

Seki has slightly tighter tree runs and slightly steeper as well... that said, the last time I was there was terrible because we hadn't had a good dump of snow the day before. It's a really tiny place unless you go hiking... compared to Akakan, Ikenotaira and Suginohara I can't really recommend it. My favourite is Akakan followed by Suginohara and Ikenotaira.

Seki Onsen is always boasting of tons of snow... I think it's safe to say that the claims on their website are not independently verified, if you catch my drift.

my opinion only - you won't do as much offpiste in Honshu. Some resorts don't permit it. MyokoKogen may offer the best practical choices.

Out of boundry is very risky - it is the Alps and requires either local knowledge or a guide, and the right equipment. Checkout some of the guiding services around Happo.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Dunno about tree runs, being that the trees get all frozen into monsters, BUT I'm sure you'd enjoy Zao Onsen, the riding is meant to be awesome and the village is an onsen village

I reckon I'd cack among those monsters
Originally Posted By: thursday
Dunno about tree runs, being that the trees get all frozen into monsters, BUT I'm sure you'd enjoy Zao Onsen, the riding is meant to be awesome and the village is an onsen village

I reckon I'd cack among those monsters

especially if it gets dark and you get stuck in the trees when the monsters come alive...

I think Zao would be a very good place to visit, but from Osaka going through Nagano and then Niigata it is not particularly easy to get to. But once you get there it is not too hard to get to Akita.

As long as the OP has a JR Pass then it should not be too difficult.

The tree runs at Zao are pretty cool, especially the one right from the top of the mountain. Good fun, but it is not Rusutsu.

yeah those cliffs to the left of suginohara would give you one hell of a surprise!! A little further down though, past the cliffs, you can get under the lift and there is some awesome riding there.