Random questions before we go boarding in Niseko?

I would've thought it would be common sense for beginners to wear helmets. Who are the ones most like to fall over and land awkwardly 'cos they don't know how to fall?

Not compulsory, but who knows. The more casualties the better.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've surfed and ridden a skateboard for over 20 years so I'm confident that I know how to fall to minimise injury. Although, having broken both wristes 3 times in the past I am somewhat concerned about breaking them again. It wouldn't stop me from going back up the montain the next day but the cold weather will certainly make it more painful. Does anyone where wrist gaurds or some other device to stop this from happening?

Yeah, I wear Level BioMex gloves. They are great, doesn't restrict movement.

BUT, I still broke my wrist because I fell on my wrist. Slipped on an icy ridge, and my wrist got caught between.

you are nuts if you wanna keep on boarding with broken bones friend

but what if you fall on it again. High possibility of major damage. Serious stuff thumbsdown I'll wait for at least 5 weeks.

Jynxx,

Clearly the sensible thing to do is to wait 5 weeks for an injury to heal - yes. But if you have just arrived for your once a year or once in a lifetime trip to the snow and it happens, then the temptation is HUGE to get back out there. I got back out there the very next day after getting a decent concussion (WITH a helmet). And I only took ONE day off when I cracked a rib in January...although I rode very carefully and was very protective of it.

Vossy,

The choice is absolutely yours.

There is a lot of 'young bloke-it looks uncool' emotion around helmets, and some people just don't like being told what is good for them. And there is some merit to the argument that a helmet will not be of much benefit in a lot of the accidents that some of the more advanced riders have.

However .... it doesn't hurt.

There are some situations where it is of great benefit, and not just the ones you would think of. I am not the only one in my family who has been clocked on the head by the skier in front in the lift queue throwing their ski's or stocks over their shoulder - hurts a lot less when you have a helmet on!!

And the big advantage in Niseko is the extra insulation that you get on your head - whackloads of heat is lost through our heads and I have found that I can stay out an hour or so longer with a helmet, as opposed to no helmet, just because of the extra insulation factor.

Maybe you should test drive it both ways and report back in with your personal findings...

As for WRIST GUARDS - if you have a tendency to break your wrist and you are a new snowboarder - I highly recommend wrist guards or the ones built into the glove. Papa wont ride without them. I choose not too - it seems strange but because I am a sign language interpreter and use my hands to communicate (although NOT usually while I am boarding) I feel like someone has gagged me when I have limited wrist movement. I am aware however that it would be safer if I wore them.

All the confidence in the world won't stop accidents from happening. Wearing the right protection is important for those times when the unexpected happens. I used to wear wrist guards a few years ago... Stopped though after one of my friends broke his arm while wearing them, something I had heard was a risk with using them. No idea if it caused the break, contributed to it or even minimized the damage. Wear what you feel comfortable with. That being said, I think that helmets are a must. You can recover from broken legs, arms whatever but not cracked skulls.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
You can recover from broken legs, arms whatever but not cracked skulls.

It is possible to recover from a cracked skull. I fractured mine as a child.

<sarcasm> Although you could debate how normal I am </sarcasm>

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into buying some BioMex gloves. The helmet on the other hand I might give a miss. There's just something about wearing a helmet whether it's skating,snowboarding or wakeboarding that makes me uncomfortable. Same applies when I grew up playing cricket. I got hit a few times in the head but hated the feeling of having a helmet strapped to me so I didn't wear one.

I know what you are saying there Vossy, I would not even think about snow boarding, MTB or road riding with out a helmet but I'm currently learning to Kiteboard and someone asked just last night 'how come you dont wear a hemet like some of those other guys?. funny I'd never given it any thought but on considering it I dont feel I would be comfortable in the water with one on.

Anyway good luck in Niseko and watch out for those low branches when you are wizzing thru the trees looking for those un-tracked lines.

Originally Posted By: Vossy
Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into buying some BioMex gloves. The helmet on the other hand I might give a miss. There's just something about wearing a helmet whether it's skating,snowboarding or wakeboarding that makes me uncomfortable. Same applies when I grew up playing cricket. I got hit a few times in the head but hated the feeling of having a helmet strapped to me so I didn't wear one.

I don't wear a helmet wakeboarding.

Jynxx, do the volleyball kneepads every get too sweaty or heavy if they get wet? I've got some kneepads, they're not as cushy as volleyball ones but they're wicking so they still relatively dry. My girl uses roller blading ones and they work great as well.

We wear them under our pants, and never gets wet. I wear a thin NZ merino skin and that absorbs the sweat (and keeps us warm). The only thing that gets soaked is my Tshirt.

I would love to get those 661 impact-hardening neoprene pads but the volleyball's are budget, light, does a good job, easy when you plant your knees into the slope accidentally, or taking a rest. But it doesn't give much joint support. You probably need taping underneath.

Are you guys having knee problems? I wouldn't suggest pads if you are. Invest in a brace, much more efficient for preventing injury. Trust me, I have had several torn MCL's and my knees dislike me very much.

I originally picked up knee pads for some protection and comfort when I'm waiting/resting for people. Def makes a big diff, no more raw knees.

After I tore my MCL I started wearing a neoprene brace when I ride and that seems to help. I'm going to experiment with taping as well, see how much that helps.

Mitch, what kind of brace do you use?

The third time I had to wear a mechanical one, but only for a short time as the doctors say it is bad to wear one with mcl injuries, it doesn't heal right. I used neoprene and now I just strengthen my quads haha.

When I get to North America, I'd like to get me CTi braces.

But until then, I think I'll be OK since I'm not doing big air or boarder-X .

I think knee injury is common with skiing like wrist is to boarding.

My aim for this season is no injury.

When I get to North America, I'd like to get me CTi braces.

But until then, I think I'll be OK since I'm not doing big air or boarder-X .

I think knee injury is common with skiing like wrist is to boarding.

My aim for this season is no injury.