Random questions before we go boarding in Niseko?

Hi,

our trip is all organised for Niseko over x-mas & NY (can't wait!!!), but i've got a couple of questions i was hoping to get a hand with:

1) I've never been boarding in temps as low as Niseko, so will my Camelback freeze throughout the day? i normally wear it external to my jacket.

2) I understand we need some apre boots or spikes for walking around in Niseko. are these easier to purchase in Sapporo/Niseko rather than Australia?

3) same goes for helmets- are prices comparible to australian prices in Sapporo/Niseko?

4) I've been told that we should book ahead for dinner. we arrive the night before x-mas, but i assume bookings will fill quickly for the night. does anyone have any recommended venues for a group of 6 japan newbies in their late 20's? That way i can make contact before we go and book dinner.

Thanks for your help.

cheers,

Dusty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Camelback will almost certainly freeze up on you if you wear it external to your jacket, especially the mouth piece and tube. Boots are easy to buy and plentiful in Niseko. Don't know the Aussie prices on helmets but they'll cost about 10,000Â¥ depending on what you want. Booking dinners aren't that necessary... that being said Christmas night will probably be the only time you'll need to make a reservation. I go there every year for Xmas and New Year and never have any problems not booking ahead of time. Because I live in Japan I usually go for non-J food while I'm there. There is a Nepalese curry restaurant called Bhozan that I really like... and a place that sells roast chicken and belgian beer which I think is called Paul's or something... just do a search for restaurants in Niseko and you'll be sure to come up with some winners.

Agree with BM comments. Do a search on this site for the restaurants and it won't hurt to just email them a booking and then you know you are all sorted. Some of the restaurants will collect you from your accommodation which really can come in handy if the weather is bad as well many of the smaller restaurants are hidden away in the lower village which can make locating them in a bizzard fun.

You will be able to buy a set of rubber/steel studs that slip over your footwear from any of the town supermarkets, they will cost around the $10.00 mark. Also look at getting your self one of the neoprene type Ninja masks that they sell, again about the $10.00 mark, they are worth there weight in gold on some of the colder days.

I'm not sure what's in Sapporo ski shop wise but there is only a limited amount of ski shops in Nesiko, I would suggest that you do a bit of research on the internet and see what is available in Sapporro as its a big city.

I have noticed that batteries on camera and IPod drain very quickly in the cold over there but if you put them inside your jacket and close to your body heat you can get a lot longer life from them.

if you want to eat at 9:00pm or 9:30, don't book. ALL DECENT places are chocker, and with 6 of you? good luck.

The Nepalese curry place is gone. The owner/chef is in the slammer for murdering his Japanese wife and infant child.

OK, some helmet info. The Alpen sell helmets for around 12K which is also the going price for Sapporo. But I think it'll be more useful if you had one while you ski in Niseko.

Rather than get iced on Ace 2, take the Gondola up and then head for King 3, it's hooded. Warmer. Good luck and good night..

Thanks for the help guys, very useful information!!!

any particular restaurants in Niseko that people can recommend for Japan newbies for x-mas dinner? We're staying at the Landmark apartments and preferably want something easy to find in a moderate price range.

any suggestions would be helpful.

cheers,

Dusty

Been 2 years since I was last in the big N ...so I am sure stuff has changed since then.

Landmark is great - has a little shop in the bottom of it, they sell nice breakfast pastries, coffee and vegemite/pies if you are hankering for a bit of home. Also great location - just a spit from the Gondola - an uphill spit, but nevertheless...

As for restaurants - depends what kind of food you want.

We had an awesome traditional Japanese meal in the middle village - forgot the restaurant name, but Papa and I would go back there every night if we were not surrounded by burger and fries loving Aussies who wanted to go to Jo-Jo's all the time!

For a fancy meal out give Sekka a go.

I had the best Risotto I have every eaten in my life there - tossed in a whole Parmesan wheel before hitting the plate - YUM!

I just had a QUICK look online for restaurants in Niseko.

without seeing the prices, Sekka may be out of our price range by the looks of the review.

what about abucha or bang bang? they were the first ones i found that appear to have english translations on the menu.

cheers,

Dusty

Sekka is defo in the 'special' bracket....not cheap.

I didn't enjoy Bang Bang. The service was far too....well....bang-bang. I ended up going home and making golden syrup dumplings for all the kids [ok, AND the adults] because we just couldn't get service/food we wanted in a timely fashion and the kiddo's were getting antsy. I hate that crowded, rushed, L.O.N.G wait service with a scowl experience. Rather cook in the chalet. But obviously half the village eats there every night - so they must be doing something right.

if you are looking for helmets i would recommend sorting it out BEFORE you get there....we tried to get one in Niseko and Kutchan and could not find any (well ones that fitted anyway) the popular models and sizes had mostly sold out by mid jan.

Dusty- about the Camelback. I have one that is designed for wintersports (as opposed to cycling etc) and the tube has frozen up occasionally. You can pack in a small chemical handwarmer or such somewhere along the tube as well as the bag, that will keep things liquid. And if you fill in hot tea or such, naturally it will take longer until things freeze up. I usually by a couple of hot tea cans (green tea) from the ubiquitous vending machines and pour them in the Camel.

Lets all remember Natascha Richardson - Fell on a beginners run having a lesson and now she has passed. Who would have thought you could be killed on a beginners run.

Like I have said before I don't get on the horse without a helmet, you wouldn't get on a motorbike without a helmet. Plus it will keep your head warm!! friend