I know the ski area was renamed from Higashiyama to Niseko Village (right?) but is the general area still known as Higashiyama?

Thank you!

Higashiyama stills exists as an address and pension village. Intresting story is that it was changed to Higashiyama when the Prince group bought the area and made the ski resort many years ago.

Strange though that it's not easterly facing, but I guess Minamiyama didn't sound as good.

So I guess it's fair for the new owners once again to have changed the name, even though sme would argue that it's confusing. But in terms of marketting it's pretty smart, no?

Hey,people often call it Niseko Hirafu, when it's actually Kutchan.

Because overall the whole area is mostly known as Niseko to the foreign market. A large portion of the people I make reservations for who've never been here before don't even know where Hirafu is which is why it's now often referred to Niseko Hirafu (even though it's in Kutchan cho). Calling Higashiyama Niseko Village was great marketing as most people search for info on this region by inputting Niseko as part of the search words. Many people wouldn't even realise that Niseko Village is not part of Niseko Hirafu.