Hi everyone,

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children - age 16, 13, 11) who have NEVER skied before. We are in Tokyo from 21st Nov - 4th December and have set aside Nov 30th - 2nd December to try out some skiing in resorts near Tokyo.

Could anyone advise us which would be the best area for beginners like us to experience snow and skiing?

Which resort would you recommend: Kagura, Naeba or Marunuma Kogen? Which would have the best snow and facilities for beginner families?

Taking into account the daily travel from Tokyo (we have bought our Japan Rail Pass), we would hope that the resort would also be near the train station.

As for lessons, we would like family ski lessons in english.

Thanks for any advice given.... best regards

Francis from Singapore.

Hello and welcome wave

Naeba is out because it doesn't open until after then.

Kagura hopes to open something on 21st November, but there's no snow there yet so they might or might not be able to. Keep your eye on Naeba Now and Yuzawa Now and the weather reports on the resort pages on this site.

I wouldn't recommend Kagura for beginners particularly, especially when only the main Kagura part is open which is likely during very early season. It's not somewhere I'd take beginners.

I don't know that much about Marunuma (yet) but it seemed much more suited to beginners than Kagura is with fairly gentle and wide looking slopes at the bottom. But it is not near the station and not somewhere that you would want to go a few days there and back, surely. You obviously seem to want to use your train pass, but if I were you I might stay a few nights in Marunuma and have a relaxing time there. Having said that remember only a tiny part of that is open right now as well with no "real" snow yet. Who knows how much will be open by when you want to go, but it is known for good early snowfalls.

I would reckon lessons in English would be a very tall order as well so early on in the season.

Good luck.

For absolute beginners, as someone else was advised recently, Karuizawa Prince Hotel might fit the bill. Within walking distance of a shinkansen station, I believe.

Closer in, there is also Sayama. (Hey, don't laugh, my kid had a ball there when just starting out.)

Tambara should be open, and they operate a shuttle bus to/from the nearest JR station. Likewise Gran Deco.

Of the above, only Sayama and Gran Deco have lessons that early in the season. None them offer lessons in English, as far as I know, but the instructor may at least remember a few words of high-school English. Probably best results in that case if you can spring for private lessons rather than group ones, though.

I can understand you wanting to get the most from your train ticket, but is that totally the most important thing here? Wherever I went whether it be Kagura or Marunuma or Karuizawa, I think I'd rather stay over then have that hassle and time needed to ride in every morning from Tokyo on the trains. That really doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Of course, it that's what you want! friend

SJ1 went to Mitsumata for his first ski and didn't seem to like it wink

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-andrew-lea.html

You're a bit stuck with those dates libra-san. Need to wait and see a bit more I think. But I agree on the train thing, you'll surely tire yourself out on the train trips doing that every day.

Looking at the reports from Naeba Now:

2008: Naeba opened with artificial snow on 22nd November

2007: Naeba opened with artificial snow on 17th November

2006: Naeba opened with artificial snow on 18th November

So this season they have delayed it by 2 weeks.

Hi all..

Thanks for all your inputs.

After looking at the various resorts on SnowJapan...

We may decide on Karuizawa or Kagura depending on the snow conditions as we move closer to the dates....

Karuizawa apppears to be better suited for beginners and if there is no snow, we could do other things at the resort...

Any other inputs?? The other resorts that seem to be opening early are abit too far from Tokyo..

If the snow is good, we may decide to stay 1-2 nites at the resorts rather than take the evening train back to Tokyo.

Still hoping for a good cold front to set in early into Japan

THanks all!

if you are gonna stay over for 1 or 2 nights then maybe the resorts that little bit further away would be better, especially if you have your JR pass already, perhaps they would have better snow. Keep your eyes peeled to the weather reports and pray to the snow gods!

Another vote for Karuizawa.

1. They have slush/ice making machines if there isn't enough snow.

2. Gentle slopes for beginners

3. For beginners, I'd emphasize convenience and facilities over snow quality.

Also, it might be a good idea to stay at the resort. Taking the train back to Tokyo daily is probably not such a good idea when your body is sore from days of skiing/boarding. Also, the whole process of getting to the mountains is a time consuming process. You can take the 6:30AM Shinkansen from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa/Karuizawa/Joetsu, and after you factor in the local transit (bus/taxi) and plus sorting the rental equipment each day, it'll be 10:00AM before you even get onto the mountain.

Have fun and I hope you guys have a good trip on the mountains!

Marunuma is a decent place for beginners on the lower slopes. Nice place all round, bit out of the way. You won't want to do day trips from Tokyo though, thats for sure!!

I'm agreeing with the Kagura stuff. Not good for total beginners.

Hi everyone again...

I emailed Karuizawa and they replied that there is usually NO snow in early december.

They have snow machine to chun snow for kids to play but not for skiing.... sigh..

Hope that it will turn cold soon and start snowing early!

Any other suggestions??

Thanks

Francis

Originally Posted By: libra13
Hi everyone again...
I emailed Karuizawa and they replied that there is usually NO snow in early december.
They have snow machine to chun snow for kids to play but not for skiing.... sigh..

There must be some confusion. According to their web page, they are already open, with pictures of people skiing on artificial snow on their blog and everything. Are you sure you contacted the Karuizawa Prince Hotel ski area, and not some other place?

Failing that, might want to consider Sayama for one day, just for the lessons. (But note that I think you have to make reservations for lessons in advance.)

Hi

I did email Karuizawa Prince and that was the reply I got from someone called Diana there.

Their website does show skiing on artificial snow but I am not sure if these are previous photos and not the current situation.

Will try to call ahead when I am in Tokyo...

Hopefully, it will start snowing in the next few days! Will be leaving for Tokyo on 21st November... and be there till 4th December.