On previous trips to Niseko I have managed to find my around on mountain and last trip I started to venture to the back bowls off to the skiers right of Annapuri by just following the crowds, this year I was thinking of doing a guided tour. I have read a few tour descriptions and the intro tours look to be similar to what I have done by myself with runs off the Hirufu Peak and the Annapuri Bowls. Dose this sound about right? are there any intro back country tours that you can recommend.

Not sure mate, but highly recommend a day trip or two to Rusutsu if you haven't done one. I've ventured as far as a trip down to Goshiki Onsen, a few ridges over the back of Annupuri peak, but was chastised by some guides who whilst pretty happy with themselves were primarily concerned for mine and my friends wellbeing. Admittedly, was an expensive taxi back to Hirafu!

The tour i was looking at actually mentions that it ends up Goshiki Onsen where you get to have a plunge at the end of the day. They transport you back to Hirafu after that.

Sounds like it is a bit further over than I've been so I think we will give it a go as its not that expensive.

We have day trip planned for Rusutsu and Miowa.

• SnowJapan Admin

I have just deleted 4 posts in quick succession.

The "can't promote on the Forums" policy has not "gone out of the window" as someone quaintly and rather sarcastically put it a short while ago. And just because someone posts something that is clearly against our guidelines doesn't mean that it's open season and a sign that everyone can get stuck in doing the same. The mini-stampede that came just a few moments ago illustrates just what a mess things would become.

I am not saying that discussion is not allowed. That is totally not the case. Some of our knowledgeable regular members with interests in popular regions seem to get by extremely well discussing things - even mentioning names and specific advice - in posts like this. But they post smartly and without agenda, without the short fuse. The people who moan and complain most about this particular type of thing are the ones who, bottom line, want to spend as little time on here as possible but drop names and do some promotion whenever they can*. It's annoying. And it's not "helping the folks", it's helping themselves. Sorry, but do that somewhere else. Want to get your name out to readers of these Forums? Contact us first.

(* doesn't specifically apply to all 4 posts deleted)

And just to add to the utter evilness of my post here, this is not an invitation to discuss the matter.

friend

Sorry, back on topic

There are lots of companies and i'm sure some are better than others, i would go to the rental stores & shops in town and ask for their advice. Rhythm & Beats recommended me to a good one last year and they had lots of companies brochures.

Originally Posted By: acpowman
the mountains around sapporo are also great, and understated

And Otaru.

You can have a 'backcountry' experience in-bounds at Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai.

Adam Streete's company offers guided trips from Niseko.