A new feature, "Just Enjoy!" by Ian MacKenzie, has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-60.html

"This season, I skied more powder than I knew what to do with. I choked on great wads of the stuff. I leapt off mushies into great pillows of it. I felt the press of powder on my chest through the tree runs. Powder skiing is hard to do. I don’t mean tiring, I mean the technique is hard to master. I watch my snowboarding friend glide over bottomless powder on his second day, green with envy."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-60.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here....

Good read, and some nice pics too.

I found this bit interesting -

"That is what I do. I ski powder fast, big, spoilt by the amount of snow I can access, spoilt by day after day of fresh, bottomless turns. I take two turns where the old ski purists scowls at me and take twenty. “Look at the powder you are wasting!” they exclaim. “ Hey, I’m here everyday, mate, and look how….slow you are going!” I reply."

I rode in so much powder last season that I got to straightlining it pretty much. And I sometimes had the feeling that I was 'wasting' it. But just being able to go so fast without any painful consequences is a really good feeling, and there's really no point in worrying about leaving tracks everywhere. (You can just do more runs and track it out that way ;\) )

Good read, Ian!I was interested to hear Junpeis` story.Must admit I was extremely surprised to stumble upon a shop(343) devoted to only "New School" skiers in Niseko when I was there earlier in the year.One of their parks was fluid but didn`t seem to maintain it so well.

I dont know Ocean... I thought Ian might have been one of the Scottish characters on the forum. I dont think Fatty or Luke spend much time on the forum though... I could be wrong however.

Junpei's skis are the twin-tipped orange ones with the salomon circles in black on the ends. One of my friends found some early season with bindings for 20,000 new. Since then I've seen loads of people with them.

In an old boarding vid, Steak and Lobster I think, there's a clip where a boarder comes down a huge untracked open bowl following a pair of skiers. The skiers use classic pow technique, boom-boom rhythmical turns either side of the fall line in a narrow strip, while the boarder following them down just pisses right across the bowl at high speed from one side to the other and scores air on some natural hits. The voiceover just says "look at the difference", but the implication is that boarding is freer and more soulful.

Now fat skis are out there, skiers can choose to do big open pow turns too.

That Steak and Lobster vid definitely has a Niseko section that has been dubbed 1970s kung fu movie-stylee. There mightn't be much in Niseko for freestylers, but the gap jump shown in that vid looks friggin massive.

mate!! Nice article! Remember ya telling me you wanted to get a bunch of the niseko locals for an interview before the season ended - great read! Just wish you had a pic of Junpei throwing a Fakie 540 off the kogen like he usually did.

And, yes, junpei was busted for toking on some nugs. What a shame - its just a plant.

Cant wait till my article is done!

Junpei should become Canadian, I mean come on half the ridin community in North America is high and riding. Ive bummed before and you can smell it of the lifts. I hope someone hooks on to him again.