Last year, the topic of wrist guards was hotly debated.

I thought I should get some. I didn't get them, and nor did I hurt my wrists.

Anybody had any wrist injuries in the past season, with or without guards?

I didn't think I would get any, nor did I get any. I also did not hurt my wrists or have sore wrists. I maintain they are likely only very useful for learners.

...I bet I break a wrist next season for these comments. \:D

I thought I should get them (plus everything else). I did get them (plus everything else).

I hurt my wrists mildly a few times in the firt 7 or so trips so I decided to buy them. After that I didn't hurt my wrists however I think it was because I was not crashing in the same way.

For the total beginner on hard snow I think they are worthwhile. I would wear them in a pipe or on hard pack jumps.

I became very comfortable wearing them as they felt nice and firm around my wrists. I hade teh burton wrap around numbers with ribs. The best of all, they were worn under my glove and created the perfect seal. No snow got into my glove when I was wearing them

Not my wrists and I hate wrist guards, you just get roundly mocked!

I tended just to land on my arse when I first started and felt like I'd been molested by an 8 ton Gorilla! In fact I ended up walking like one as well.

The one piece of protective equipment that I do wear is a helmet, which has repeatedly saved my skull especially when visiting a board park! \:D

i had wrist guards that i didnt wear skating, and my first season boarding was delayed from a wrist injury in the skate park, so i started wearing them from day one, and have never considered stopping.

but im a bit injury prone, so i need all the help i can get \:\(

I've just realized why my wrist guards are so uncomfortable... I've been wearing them on the wrong hands. So the hard bit is on the outside rather than the inside.

Stupid or what?

Enderzero, what do you mean they are only useful for learners? The better you get, the faster and harder you fall. Pipe, moguls, jumps, steeps...

Mr. Matthews, I'd rather risk being mocked than risk breaking my wrist.

The best wrist guards for snowboarding are the ones built into the gloves so you don't have to get an extra piece of equipment. Check out web links to Seirus Da Bone gloves/mitts. I used these last season and they are great. Not only to they give your wrists some protection against breakage a la rollerblade wrist guard, but they also cover the heel of your palm so no matter how many times you slam down on ice, you don't get that annoying bruised palm.

As readers of TW Snowboard (or is it Snowboarder) mag know from Dr. George's column, hard metal wrist guards merely transfer the force from your wrist joint to your forearm bones. This isn't very useful, because those bones break too.

The best wrist guards are stiff but flexible plastic held on the front and back of the wrist by an adjustable velcro strap. You are bolstering the strength of your wrist without transferring unnatural forces to your forearm bones.

I'm a big fan of protective gear. I guess I would never impress the Dope Guys in the Posse with my helmet, butt/hip pad undershorts and wristguard gloves. Too bad. I really cared what those guys thought--that's what riding is all about anyway, right?

I guess it really depends on what you're doing, when you're doing it and where you're doing it. Can't see the benefit in getting too strapped up in the powder, but on an icy board park, the more gear the better.

A guy I know scored a helicopter flight in Switzerland this season after breaking both wrists snowboarding.

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
Enderzero, what do you mean they are only useful for learners? The better you get, the faster and harder you fall. Pipe, moguls, jumps, steeps...
They`re only recommend for beginners, because, it`s assumed that beginners haven`t yet learnt how to fall correctly. also, beginners usually learn on flat, hard-packed areas, as opposed to `steep pow`.
i don`t know many `pros` who wear wrist gaurds... wakaranai.gif

just a thought...

There is a special way of falling, teach me ooooohhhh please! :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan, never will be and BM if I ever see you with them on I will be sure to stop and mock you till my heart is content!

Only kiddin each to their own and all that, I just think that if you get all strapped up the RISK of hurting yourself is diminished, and isn't that part of the buzz?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Matthews:
There is a special way of falling, teach me ooooohhhh please! :rolleyes:
Whether it's a fall to the front or the back, you stick your arms out sideways parallel to the board. You plant your face in the snow if it's a toeside fall, or the back of your head if it's a heelside fall. That way, you won't break your wrists. (Having a fool face helmet stops you breaking your face.)
 Quote:
They`re only recommend for beginners, because, it`s assumed that beginners haven`t yet learnt how to fall correctly. also, beginners usually learn on flat, hard-packed areas, as opposed to `steep pow`.
i don`t know many `pros` who wear wrist gaurds...
This is one of those discussions like the helmet one...there are actually some people who think it is better to be without one, and the reasons given are usually "I am too good now to need that" and "it's not cool".

You be the judge...are these really valid reasons to avoid cheap, simple protective gear?

As for pros, look at the lists of injuries they all have. They could do with a bit more than wrist guards, don't you think? I don't know many pros who HAVEN't had a bad injury or three. Bad example.

My wrist-protector gloves don't even look like wrist protector gloves. If I didn't tell you what they were, you wouldn't even notice. They look like normal gloves. No brace to wear underneath, no dorky bulky additions. They only cost $35...a lot less than some of those other fancy-make gloves that offer zero impact protection.

"How to fall correctly"? Um...I think I know what you mean, but even after learning to fall correctly, you are still falling, and you usually fall onto your hands. After 30 or so of these per day, your second day of riding is going to be a bit painful. Ditto for the next few days.

Are you riding powder every day? At least half of my riding is, unfortunately, on hardpack and ice. What about you? I'd rather have wrist guards and the plastic sheet over my palm. I've tried it both ways, and there is less pain when I use them...both at the end of the day, and the next few days after!

If you like unnecessary pain while riding, may I suggest putting brambles in the back of your undies, sand under your eyelids, and loosen all the screws in your bindings.

Quote:
I just think that if you get all strapped up the RISK of hurting yourself is diminished, and isn't that part of the buzz?
Well... I like to get scared on the slope by going to steep and risky runs. But I don't get a buzz by riding without basic gear to protect me from the cold and from normal impacts. That just seems like a mistake, not a buzz-inducer.

This is basic protective gear unnoticeable to others...not even as "uncool" as a helmet...

You guys have issues about that or something? I think I'm mocking you!

\:D

mmmm the brambles idea sounds like a whole lot of fun.

No seriously cool/ uncool has never, and will never be an issue! You only have to take one look at the ancient gear and board I was using for ages to see that!

I do agree with helmets, and wrist gaurds if thats your preference, but all I'm saying is that I personally think they're of little value....

\:\)

I don't want to get into the effectiveness of helmets thing again, but let me just report some observations.

I have used a helmet off an on but mainly off. I very, very rarely bang my head and have never had a concussion or even a headache from boarding. I decided to wear my helmet more this year and in a period of a few weeks I noticed I hit my head probably 10-20 good smacks.

My simple hypothesis was that the extra weight of my helmet on my head was causing my head to hit the ground with more force and more often than without it. So I started letting db wear it (cause mine is cooler than his) and stopped hitting my head.

Competitions, rails, definitely urban riding; I will put the lid on for sure. But as it stands now for a day on the slopes I am sticking with the beanie.

I don't mean to say this is the smart decision. Nor do I mean to dissuade anyone form protecting themselves. I actually have a friend who has slight brain damage now from riding without a helmet (of course it was in a parking lot...). I am just explaining why I made my decision.

I had wondered about that enderzero from looking at your pics. I'm glad I know now. Recently I've been tempted to ditch my helmet sometimes, but I don't think I ever will.

I bashed myself up in some interesting ways riding mountainboards at Fujiten the other day. Took some good torso hits like I haven't had before snowboarding...

Quote:
You guys have issues about that or something? I think I`m mocking you!
What sort of a comment is that? If anybody`s got issues it`s...ahh, I wont say it!
:rolleyes:

Beginners are taught that when they fall, it`s in their best interests to clench their fists, thus reducing the impact to their wrists. But when you`re starting out, there`s a whole lot happening, that it`s nigh on impossible to remember all the instructions. So, beginners are encouraged to wear wrist gaurds.
By rights, everyone should `board in control` so that you shouldn`t fall at all! Now in reality, we all know this to be an absolute furfy,(?) but...

As you get better, it`s easier to anticipate a fall and you can usually take steps to avoid the biggest wipeout of your life. i.e. just sit down!

The `pros` reference was in reply to an earlier post about...
 Quote:
Enderzero, what do you mean, they are only useful for learners?... moguls, jumps, steeps
I was merely trying to highlight that just because you go faster, it doesn`t have to mean that the risk is increased. You`re actually goin faster because you`re improving and `boarding in control`.
At NO time was I refering to the `coolness` factor. cool.gif I couldn`t give a `rats clacker` if you wore a hot pink seer-sucker suit when you went to the mountains wakaranai.gif
n.b. There probably are some `pros` who DO wear protective gear- I just don`t know of any.

Finally, speak to me like I`m a four year old, but isn`t this a public forum for exchanging ideas/giving opinions/chit chat. NOT personal attacks just because someone thinks differently to you.
Mock,,,schmock.

badmigrane, I aknowledge your post \:\)

Hey, powwwers, sorry, I didn't mean it like that!

I enjoyed your post and input, and always do. Why I even used your post on the moguls thread awhile ago (something like "mogul practice keeps snowboarders' turns honest and committed, so when you go into the trees, you can scoot around them with polish and style") to explain to some skiers at the bar why a boarder needs to go into the moguls from time to time.

I certainly don't want to make personal attacks and I apologize if my last post came across that way. I'm just cultivating the image of a stubborn crank and sometimes don't phrase things to fully convey that.

\:\)