can someone help source some nihongo car parts please!

I'm hoping some kind soul out there would be willing to help me source some car parts for a 2001 Prius, hopefully from a reliable source. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated and karma-filled! Or failing that, even if someone can find the nihongo Prius forums (which I assume must exist somewhere) I'll and find a translator to post my query there. This would be so easy if I didn't have to try and do it in nihongo.

Here are the parts:

HV Battery (G9520-47050) -

Battery Computer ASSY (89890-47050)

Thanks in advance!

haha, I wish I didn't have to make the request!!!!!! But to get the parts new would cost a fortune.

Howzitgoing? I'm pretty genki asides from being a little congested from travelling, (no, not piggy flu!).

Are you saying you'll do it for me Thursday? wink

Thanks, snowdude, I'll see if I can get someone to call them but since the parts are quite specialized I'm not sure they'd have them. They do used stuff or just new?

Yahoo auctions is your best bet. The people over at Autobacs are not worth much in help as they will tell you to go to a dealer.

There is a local junk yard in Chikuma that I visit on occasion. But it is really hit or miss depending on parts and vehicles. They may be able to source parts.

Even if the auctions dont show up your exact part. You could find some useful recyclers in different prefectures whom may have the parts your looking for.

As for the battery, your looking at about 23-2500USD for the batteries. I cant see you looking for used batteries as they probably wont be in such better shape. Also, they changed the batteries in the 2003 models.

Forget about going to Autobacs. Suitable for minor jobs on the car eg:oil/tyre changes etc.

I assume you got the new parts priced at the Toyota Dealer but did you ask them if they were able to source used parts?

If used parts are available they should be able to look it up on the computer.

I got prices from a Toyota dealership last week for my van and at the same time I asked if they were able to get used parts and they did a search for me and found used parts in a couple of minutes. The used price was half the price of new parts but luckily I was able to find used parts at a wreckers which were much cheaper again. Chances of finding the parts for your car at the local wrecker are pretty slim but the dealer will have the best idea of where to look. I work in the car industry but not for Toyota but Id still recommend having them do the work on your car as they will know what they are doing and may have to hook it up to the computer to reset any fault codes etc.

Thanks midnight and krusty.

Midnight - Thanks. In the States you can get reconditioned (not simply 'used') batteries. I was hoping that they could be found here too. I'm a bit iffy on a used battery without being reconditioned, however a battery computer from a wreck might be worth the risk.

If anyone could locate a nihongo Prius forum for me that's a great place to ask. I assume some exist, well there are certainly English ones and there has to be lots of prius otaku here.

The quoted price for the parts are 135,000 each - ie battery 135,000 and battery computer 135,000. Even if I just got a new battery, I could surely save with a used computer. Normally they don't need to change the computer as well, but there was some kind of strange short that happened (the cables need replacing too). I suspect there was corrosion in the battery which caused it, which apparently isn't uncommon on the older cars.

Krusty - thanks. The dealer I'm using will do the labor if I provide used parts, but he won't source them for me. I don't have much choice since the car is stranded there. Even another dealer nearby had said the same thing. I guess they don't want to support used parts in case there's an issue. But at least this dealer is willing to do the labor (not expensive) for used parts.

Do you have a phone number for your dealer that you'd be willing to pass on? Cos if so I'll get someone to call him and see if he can source anything.

And I'm totally with you on getting the dealer to do the labor if I decide to go ahead with it. maybe not worth it at the cost of getting both parts new, though at the same time it may wind up costing me that to get another car (with shaken etc), so I'm really hoping on a cheaper way.

Thanks guys.

Thursday - sorry, can't wait that long, need to sort it out way before next year!

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t141051079

check out this auction.

Its for an engine but like mentioned before, if they have an engine they probably have other parts from a junked car or can source them for you. Thats why I mentioned the auctions are probably your best bet. look at this auction and others like it with big ticket items like engines, transmissions, and such and more than likely you would be able to get the parts by shooting them an email or possibly calling if they have a number on their auctions.

When it comes to cars in Japan, most people in this country will tell you to go to a dealership for even the simplist parts because most people have absolutely no idea working on their own vehicles. So finding some fourms that would help would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

The other issue you want to be careful on is the replacement parts. You would want to make absolutely sure that it was just corrosion and not another area on the car that killed the batteries. If you slam in the new parts, you may risk killing your new investments if it is not the computer that you presume.

Also did a small read on this http://www.thebatteryclinic.co.nz/HybridFaq.html

Did you check to see if the 12v battery is not the cause of fault? From my understanding, if this battery dies, it cannot power the battery computer and your left with a dead car. The seperate battery should have a reading of 12.5v on a voltmeter, if not, then I would start there first.

But that site also reconditions battery computers. For 350+???shipping that my also be a option to send it out of country if the car is worth it.

Thanks MC, for all the very helpful research and advice.

I wonder if those NZ folk can recondition a Japanese language computer? Definitely worth looking into depending on what I can or can't find here.

Assuming reliable reconditioned batteries aren't to be found here, currently I'm leaning toward getting a new battery and trying to get a used battery computer.

Just to let you know - I got a new 12v battery not long before the main one died, and I'm sure the dealer is correct with the diagnosis on the issue, they took about a week to check it all thoroughly, and he sent a couple of photos to show that there had been electrical damage to the battery and computer. I don't know for sure about the corrosion, that is just a guess as to why the short may have happened.

Thanks for the tips on dealers selling stuff on the auctions. My nihongo illiteracy prevents me from doing much there myself but I'll try and hire someone to help out.

Hey Sunrise, the number for the Toyota Dealer where I get my parts from is 026-221-4010. Not sure of the companies name but its a Toyota Dealership with one of the largest workshops in the city.

Also Ill ask the parts manager at work where he would suggest trying to source these parts from. We get trade magazines at work that advertise the companies that sell non OEM and reconditioned parts so there could be a company that does the parts that you need. Ill get back to you tomorrow.

Hey Sunrise. Spoke to the Parts Manager on the phone as he is out of the office until Saturday and he said he thinks he may know of a company that will possibly have the parts but he cant provide the details of the company until he is back. Ill tell you what I find out from him on Saturday. Sorry I cant get the details any sooner.

Hi Sunrise, if you call a company called Nagasaka Baroc(I pretty sure the spelling is right) on 026 227 2232.

Hopefully this company will be able to supply both the parts that you need or may know of where to get them from.

My friend who will call them is wondering what the correct nihongo for 'reconditioned' would be - as in 'reconditioned battery' or reconditioned parts?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

I think the computer if used would probably be okay, assuming it's working. But I think if I get a battery that's not new I'd want it to be reconditioned, (unless they're charging next to nothing so it's worth the risk.)

Okay we seemed to sort that last bit out.

Krusty - thanks again - it took awhile to find someone I knew fluent enough to phone that number. Unfortunately the woman who answered didn't seem to even know what a Prius was. They didn't recommend anyone else. I asked my friend to phone again if it wasn't taihen to see if they could recommend someone, but for now it seems like a deadend. I also asked him to phone the Toyota dealer.

Midnightcharger, thanks again also - my friend's also going to follow up asking some car dealers on yahoo.

Computer Battery in the States is $134!!!!! But I don't think it will work with a Japanese model, since it has to sync up with the main computer which is in Japanese.... 10% of the cost of a new battery computer here! I'm sure we can eventually find a used battery computer here. Just a matter of if there's time. (My car is sitting at the toyota dealer and they're wondering how long it'll be there for!). One reconditioned battery I saw online in the US is the same price as a new battery here, so unless it's possible to find reconditioned batteries here there's no point thinking about buying from overseas for those!

I'll keep you guys posted on the hunt. At least now I have someone on board who's bilingual and is keen to help out, so hopefully something can be found soon.