Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I wonder if there is such a thing as too much powder for some people.

I heard about a resort in the US which closed all season a few years ago because of too much snow. Lift pylons were buried.
Originally Posted By: tripler
I wonder if there is such a thing as too much powder for some people.

I heard about a resort in the US which closed all season a few years ago because of too much snow. Lift pylons were buried.

That was a Russian resort called Krasnaya Polyana in 2007. The chairs were under snow.
I wonder if there is such a thing as too much powder for some people. I'm quite happy with knee deep but hey, I take what's there. smile

Sadly yes.
1. Board not long enough (or)
2. Rider is too heavy for the board (see no 1)
3. Not enough setback (setback is of course, still limited by the board type i.e. freestyle boards typically only allow centered stances). It's possible to lean back to compensate lack of setback, but it's tough on the dominant supporting leg!

Last year I was racing my buddy down one of the chuu-kyuu lifts at Ogna Hotaka in some really nice knee deep powder, but he pulled ahead so I decided to try a short cut over what I thought was a spine between two runs... just ended up being a wall of nearly chest deep heavy powder and I ran into it hard and ended up on my backside. It was the end of the day so I was beat and being as buried as I was I simply gave up and undid my bindings and road to the finish on my stomach haha

Originally Posted By: MrSingh
1. If you have any momentum, carry that through and perform a roll, get up and continue riding. biggrin

2. If you are stationary on a slope, try to get on your toeside (i.e. anterior facing the mountain) to push yourself up. It's easier than having your back against the slope.

3. If your board is stuck deep in powder:
- dig your board out, release your feet from the bindings
- pack down an area near you
- if your balance is good enough, stand on the board and strap yourself in
- if you can't balance yourself on the board, sit on the packed snow and strap yourself in, then proceed to step (2) above

4. If you're stuck in the flats. Whip out those snowshoes. razz

For snowboarding I would say this is the best advice.