So, I find it's harder to get out of powder when you fall with a snowboard.

When it's knee deep It's easier with skis. Being sideways I find it a bit more tricky and when it's flat, impossible to get going.

I have never ridden waist deep powder and that will be a different story. I think it will be a lot harder even with skis and I don't have a clue how to get back on with snowboards.

Any tips?

Depends how steep the slope is. Most times you can just dig the tip/nose out and keep going. It can get really difficult if it's flatter & you have to take the back foot out and dig & skate. Never had much luck with swimming out, although I haven't tried the backstroke yet.

I'm going a bit nuts visualizing Rob's backward swim, too. confused

I was finding it difficult to get up (push myself up) when my board is placed higher than my body (bum) . When it's steep it's ok, I can use the incline and try to push off with my hands (which is difficult to push soft snow) but the flatter it gets it it's a problem. I just have to make sure I hit it with speed and don't fall down but I just couldn't help myself hitting a natural quarter pipe and falling into the deep snow that collected under it. biggrin

I think there is a trick to set up my snowboard at the right angle and depth so it can take off, but the question is: When it gets deeper, do I have to build a ramp underneath me so I can be near the top surface?

This is where it gets difficult with a snowboard because it's shorter, sideways and both legs strapped.

Also, when it's really deep and you fall head first, can you dig yourself out?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I'm going a bit nuts visualizing Rob's backward swim, too. confused
I was finding it difficult to get up (push myself up) when my board is placed higher than my body (bum) . When it's steep it's ok, I can use the incline and try to push off with my hands (which is difficult to push soft snow) but the flatter it gets it it's a problem. I just have to make sure I hit it with speed and don't fall down but I just couldn't help myself hitting a natural quarter pipe and falling into the deep snow that collected under it. biggrin
I think there is a trick to set up my snowboard at the right angle and depth so it can take off, but the question is: When it gets deeper, do I have to build a ramp underneath me so I can be near the top surface?
This is where it gets difficult with a snowboard because it's shorter, sideways and both legs strapped.
Also, when it's really deep and you fall head first, can you dig yourself out?

well people have died this way, falling head first into tree wells and getting stuck and end up suffocating. be careful out there

My then 14 yr old got stuck head first in Strawberry Fields - he was riding down for the first time thru there, with one of the Dad's. When they got to the bottom it was like "where's Jake?" ....20 minutes later Jake turned up - took him forever to dig out.

He said the same Rob "Shat myself!"

My missus was laughing so hard when I was falling over trying to get up and catch up with her waiting at the bottom. She said I looked like a snail rolling around. smile

We are pretty confident to try some more deep stuff (after all, it's not that difficult to board compared to going down icy moguls) and having the security of someone watching over is good. Love that feeling of hydro-planing.

Just don't like it when you get so out of breath getting out when you are already up at high altitude.

Trees are not on my agenda.

Jynxx. Turtle yourself around a bit until you get the nose pointing downhill. Then sit your arse and weight as much over your back foot as you can, so you are basically sitting on your back boot. Only been left with the unclip and walk option once. Two hours in the back country in Rusutsu. Not much fun.

Originally Posted By: mikelowry
Jynxx. Turtle yourself around a bit ...

lol
that's a good one.
cheers.

Quote:
Only been left with the unclip and walk option once. Two hours in the back country in Rusutsu. Not much fun.

It really is tempting to get a splitboard

Knees do get a bit stiff, lose that flexibility to go down moguls at the end of the day. Some places it does get more bumpy and icy in the afternoon. Powder can be hard work, too.

There is a limit where I stop so I have the knees for the next day.

I met a large group of Japanese people skiing in Austria. They were 56~77 year olds staying for 2 weeks. 77 yo has been here for the 5th time and most of the others were repeat visitors. Very good skiers and very fit. This is @3000m ASL by the way. Was really interesting talking with them. Inspired.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Ain't nobody's stopping for you, would you when you gonna get stuck, too ?

lol
That is one of the disadvantages of riding with your children. There is some automatic switch goes off in your head and no matter how much you wanna ride on by - you just HAVE TO go get yourself stuck in that pow to free up the offspring. doh

On a positive note - I have done stuff I never would have attempted (coz I am too smart and have a strong sense of self preservation) as a direct result of following/helping the kids. It has stretched my abilities to the limit - and taught me I am more resilient than I thought.

1. If you have any momentum, carry that through and perform a roll, get up and continue riding. biggrin

2. If you are stationary on a slope, try to get on your toeside (i.e. anterior facing the mountain) to push yourself up. It's easier than having your back against the slope.

3. If your board is stuck deep in powder:

- dig your board out, release your feet from the bindings

- pack down an area near you

- if your balance is good enough, stand on the board and strap yourself in

- if you can't balance yourself on the board, sit on the packed snow and strap yourself in, then proceed to step (2) above

4. If you're stuck in the flats. Whip out those snowshoes. razz

Near-waste deep snow. Skiing across the fall line slowly with not enough momentum to turn and you suddenly realize you've got too much wait on the downhill ski and it's just a matter of time before you flop over. It's awkward no doubt about it.