Snow to village (Niseko) - in absentia 09/10

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Taking measurements from Niseko Now, as of 10 January 2010 Hirafu is up to 6.5m of snowfall at village level so far smile

If that is the case why are the official depths so, reletively, low? the changes are only minimal from last week and we've had about 70cm of snow with 50cm in one night. It happened during the pre-christmas and new year snow storms as well... all and sundry (not just snow-japan) would report massive 50cm + dumps in Niseko and the official snow depth either didnt move or increased by 10% of the actual new snow figure. Hakuba doenst seem to have had that much more than Niseko so far this season based on the Japan Now reports but their official depth is over 3m.

The current official depths for Niseko are 120 village and 215 up top. There is little doubt this season is thus far better than the previous two yet the offical levels are down on both of those seasons.

My point is that in reality the base depths in Niseko would presently be the same or higher than those in most of Nagano and niigata but the official depths dont show it. Not that it would ever harm tourism or send tourists south but my view is if you've got it, flaunt it.

In my experience the volume falling from the sky is always far greater than the depth on the ground, especially in an area like Niseko where the air to water ratio of the snow is so high.

It compacts to nothing.

As a point of reference, my records for snowfall at village level up to and including 10 January for the past 3 seasons are:

3.6m for 06/07

7.3m for 07/08

5.4m for 08/09

Originally Posted By: MikePow
In my experience the volume falling from the sky is always far greater than the depth on the ground, especially in an area like Niseko where the air to water ratio of the snow is so high.

It compacts to nothing.

As a point of reference, my records for snowfall at village level up to and including 10 January for the past 3 seasons are:

3.6m for 06/07
7.3m for 07/08
5.4m for 08/09

Great explanation, thanks MP

In regards to snowdepth I believe that on the whole they terribly under report the real depth out there. MP's explanation of why so much snow can compact to so little is correct but I do not think the official depth reporting at Niseko is accurate or representative of actual conditions at all.

I don't know the exact spots they take all their measurements but am pretty sure that most of them are on groomed areas. Prior to this most recent snowfall Kutchan was reporting a higher snowdepth than at the base of Hirafu even though Kutchan receives significantly less snow than on the mountain. It's just ridiculous. They are reporting only a little over 2m up top but anyone who's been out there knows that except in the most exposed and packed areas there is a hell of a lot more than that up there. Plenty of areas where early in the season we were skiing under trees that are now completely covered. I've totally given up on trying to understand the reporting of snowdepths here. It's certainly different to Australia where they'll find the deepest little patch they can and use that for their report.

They may well be reasonably accurate as far as where they are taking the reading from that is the actual depth but are they representative of the real conditions? That's a whole other question.

At the end of the day once you're getting up above 2m the actual depth starts to mean little. It's the surface conditions that are important.

Ok has been an amazing few days up here in Hokkaido ! Last night BAM POW POW POW this morning got up for the early bird in Hirafu for super deep dry fast POW .... POW POW POW !!!!!!!!!

Very cold and the best i have had this season for SURE.

How did anyone else lucky enough to be on the mountain today find it ?

Miraculous blue bird for about 30 mins from 10 right when i made it to the peak - Hellsyeah !

Jishipi_61.jpg

Friends Paul and Miho enjoying the POW.

Kiroro yesterday - Kiroro had great POW POW POW POW ! ! !! smile

Jishipi_62.jpg

So snow aficionado's how much fell and why exactly was if so freaking amazing today ? POW POW POW !!!!!!!????!!!!??? POW

My board clearly needs a wax - was riding great yesterday, I got so excited by all the POW this morning...First Tracks - and going nowhere!! It was like there was VELCRO on the base of my board. sadface

Had great fun on Konayuki, but really needed the steeper gradient to even get moving! Papa took the #1 and #3 Cubs to the peak - got there just AFTER the sunny patch, but still managed to get a little bit of video - will upload when home.

I am tired after a 45 minute thigh deep walk out from the tree's when my board refused to run [wah!!] What I wanna know is WHY was the POW running fast for you Jishipi, and for me and my pal - we were the most frustrated we have been in 3 weeks. Do we need to use a special wax? Is it that we are riding cambered boards not POW boards? I got SO MUCH still to learn.

Mammabear NO !!! Cold today so figure maybe your wax was the wrong type - i haven't waxed my board since the start of the season...hmm take your board to Bon Tak, in the portable sheds opposite Yotei Tracks and see if he can help.

I rode a standard all mountain board today.

General tip for the deep stuff ...don't turn much until you have some speed.

Blue bird proof

Jishipi_63.jpg

Love the face shots on that - sure was COLD on the face this morning!!

Papa's Aura did the VELCRO thing really early on and it needed a good wax (BonTac to the rescue), but mine and my pal's have been fine and riding great - it was instantaneous - a full stop this morning, but back to OK a few hours later - it was frustrating on low gradients, but still had a great day. Only got tomorrow left!