Snow to village (Niseko) - in absentia 09/10

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow
Love the last one too, Never seen a shot from that view, well done

It's from near the peak looking back to the false summit that's above Annupuri. You can see the top of the King #4 lift on the left which is where you walk from. About a 20 minute walk to the top. If you drop down to the left you'll end up in Hanazono and off to the right into the Annupuri back bowl.

Hey GN i meant to ask you this question a few weeks back as you have a good knowledge of who's who in town.

I noticed when I was in Niseko earlier this year that the company Hokkaido Tracks seemed to have their name/logo all over the place and on so many accommodation premises, are they becoming a large stakeholder in the place?

HT was one of the first big developers in town, they grew quickly and developed a lot of stuff. They are certainly a large stakeholder and the owners of both the development and management sides of the business live here year round. You would have noticed all their advertising at the new bus stop near Seicomart as HT put up the funds to build the shelter.

Thanks GN, Yes the new bus stop and I thank them for putting funding into community areas like that which serve many of the punters visiting Niseko. I certainly got the benefit from its use on a few nights particularly during that cold spell we experienced a few weeks back. I also notice a lot of building when walking around the upper and lower village that seemed to have the HT sign on then as well as every second vehicle I saw seemed to have the logo. Anyway good on them for putting something back into the infrastructure of the place. Its definitely a company name that now sticks in my memory banks and whether I use them in the future or not for accommodation is yet to be seen.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Snowhuntress ready for a trip down Mizuno?

NOT QUITE!!! I wish I could tell you that I was the one who took the Peak Shot but it was Mr Snowhunter. I am still happy with my achievements and each day I am trying something more brave!!

Today was a mixed bag there was snow but unfortunately it was mixed with poor visibility at times, then once the visibility improved the snow eased off and the wind came up in the afternoon. We finished around 5pm and it started snowing heavily but it has eased off again now. The hill is pretty tracked out and I think the problem with bluebird days people can wee where everyone goes. So when you head off for a secret stash sometimes you will have 10 people following you.

I have found this year even though there are alot of Aussies as usual. There a heaps of Americans, English and Hong Kongers. Lift queues are not to bad at all luckily all the lifts have been going while we have been there, it could be different if we get a blow day and some of the lifts are closed.

Tomorrow looks like it is going to be a little windy in the morning so we will head of to Yukitopia in the morning and then the slopes in the arvo!

Well it is with tears in my eyes that I post this thread. Today is my last day in Niseko. sadface

Yesterday was the most perfect day ever. Good covering of snow overnight and Bluebird day all day and NO WIND. Okay there were queues for most of the lifts at Hirafu but over at Annupuri it was perfect. Managed some tree runs with still some untouched powder to be found and not to crowded over there at all.

Headed back around 5pm and it was getting very ugly snow a little soft and slow and a lot of the fronts were getting very icy and scratchy.

Today is not looking that spectacular with winds forecasted and no new snow over night. What ever is dished up I will enjoy as it is my last day. You now you have had a good holiday when you wake up stiff and sore and tired.

The next few days are not looking flash at all with rain forecasted 706mt for Wednesday night and Thursday YUCK!!! Makes going home a little easier.

Off tomorrow to hit the shops in Sapporo smile wave

Taking measurements from Niseko Now, as of 01 March 2010 Hirafu is up to 13.1m of snowfall at village level so far this season.

The February snowfall was a decent 2.6m wink even with a week of no snow at the end of the month.

The 20cm that fell on St David's Day (today, the national day of Wales) could be the start of a massive March in the Niseko Resort Area.

Fingers crossed for you all.

hey Mike, did you get some of that snow that fell last weekend? Scotland got a metre of it over night...unfortunately it had blown off the mountain by the time my bro got up there!! Although a mate had an awesome mountain bike experience in the snow at Glentress near to Peebles.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking measurements from Niseko Now, as of 14 March 2010 Hirafu has hit its 'average' with snowfall at village level of 14.1m so far this season.

A metre has fallen in the first two weeks of March, with more forecast.

A 15m winter is a distinct possibility smile

In terms of total snowfall I'd say this year is similar to last year but it has been a colder winter with far less rain events and overall much better snow quality. Certainly more powder days.

Up to and including today, March 17th:

2008/09 11.4m

(my measurements taken in St Moritz, just outside Hirafu)

2009/10 14.2m

(taken from Niseko Now. Where new snowfall has been presented as 15-20cm for example, I have taken the lesser amount).