Snow to village (Niseko) - in absentia 09/10

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Hello from Niseko wave Sorry the reports have been a little slow as I have been out hitting the slopes and then crashing as soon as I get back to the apartment.

Well apart from a little more sunshine the days have been great. Light light wind light snow on and off during the day and bearable temperatures.

I have been carving up the beginner slopes until yesterday when the newbie nephew convinced me to head out into the trees!! WOW what a blast we had. Up to my knees in some places and at one stage newbie was buried up to his chest lol. We have another convert he absolutely loves it and he has only been here for 2 days.

I have a much greater respect for you all taking photo's while you have been out because as of yet I haven't taken any. I promise I will try today.

Mr Snowhunter partied to hard the first week and is now sick with the flu in bed!!

Bluebird Day in Niseko - WHO LET THE SECRET OUT!! The runs were packed. We made our way over to Annupuri, of all my years of coming here I have never seen so many people on the runs. Hirafu had a scary queue for the one chair to the summit and there were long queues at Ace 2 Quad. You know though it was all worth while, while standing in the lift queue looking at the splendour of Mt Youtei while beautiful glitter snowflakes feel from heaven BEAUTIFUL!!!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
How have the newbies coped with their big culture shock? wink

Newbie Nephew is LOVING IT!!! He has been taken all over the mountain by Mr Snowhunter and shown all the secret stashes - he is trying every food item that he sees and has really thrown himself into the whole Japanese experience. At present he is off having an onsen and picking up some Tako Yaki for dinner and a Asahi.

Girlfriend - Not doing so well. Not liking the skiing and the cold. Doesn't like the food. Had a total mental break down this morning tears and all!! O well only 12 days to go!!!! lol

Crowds aren't that bad.....we were late going up after a late Friday night, but the back bowls of annupuri were quality. People riding but not crazy, snow was still soft giving nice trailing plumes of snow as I turned....SWEEEEEEEET!!

last day today, and what a day!! Hasn't stopped snowing all day, runs in Rinkan, Strawberry Fields and the black run leading down towards the Ace lift at the Alpen hotel were all blower powder turns, snow moustaches all round!! The amount of snow that has fallen over the whole mountain is phenomenal, we went out Gate 4 this morning and made our way down into Hanozono....WOW!!! Gotta go home, so don't want to go......bus is almost leaving, gotta run........Niseko................THANK YOU!! worship smile

What a great day we had today, not to cold, light snow with intermitent bursts of sun!! We were expecting the worst with the Chinese New Year crowds and nearly died when we saw the family ace run completely pack with school/university kids.

Nice surprise no queue at the Ace Quad then we where up and off!! Hardly any queues on any of the lifts. NOW being the ultimate beginner skier that I am I do have to report that today and today alone I conquered Jumbo, Rinkan and Legend of Shinya, I also got very brave and went off piste and came through the trees into Rinkan.

There is still a few stashes to find but it is starting to get pretty chopped up out there now. By late afternoon up the top was pretty poor visibility, little windy and snowing.

I am so proud of myself that I went and got a beer at Seico Mart (Gold Sapporo). lol

Well what can I say Great one day perfect the next.

Niseko is certainly rolling out the great days - No Wind, Light Snow and the sunshine still keeps peaking through. Had A HUGE DAY today. Hit Niseko Village for a few runs conquering ALL the intermediate runs with ease. Then feeling super daring headed back to Grand Hirafu for some of Piste through Rinkan. I am having a total blast.

Crowds are not to bad at all - this afternoon was a little tracked out and the front run the snow was a little slow but all in all can't complain.

Tomorrow is meant to blow out with high winds and moderate snow forecast for the afternoon and into the night. We will be up bright and early on Friday for First Tracks.