Snow to village (Niseko) - in absentia 09/10

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really good stuff. Real Journalism here ...

By the way, I go snowboarding, forget about lining up whatever the snow condition is razz It's like waiting for an amusement park ride ... doh

Yeah ...think lots of people were hanging around for the peak to open which it didn't - opened today right ? Dislocated shoulder...bummer

I did manage one shot in 'The Zone' skier Adrian Camp

Jishipi_48.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Wonder why Hana was so deserted when there were so many queues at Hirafu? Were the top lifts not open?

Because the vast bulk of people stay in Hirafu and they haven't a clue how to get around the mountain. Hirafu would have been the only place with big lift queues which is why I avoid it in peak season.
Originally Posted By: Jishipi
Hey Jimmer - bet Kiroro was sweet.
Hirafu was nice but i spent so much time waiting in lift lines.
Check out the nightmare at Alpen this morning.
Jishipi_45.jpg
Back view
Jishipi_46.jpg
Clouds rolled in around 9 ish - the single chair opened and people thought the peak was on but alas not yet just gate 4 and another mega line - will be interesting to see if the resort plan on making any improvements to lifts for next season... improvements...pretty please
Jishipi_47.jpg

I have never had it that bad. Thank god. Great Pics Jis.

Hi All, after reading this thread since last year I thought I would finally become a member. I'm off to Niseko in Feb (my first Japan trip) and looking at all of these photo's and reading all of the comments, I am now officially bloody dam excited! This site keeps my working day filled with jealousy. Thanks to all who posted pics and made good reading. Keep it up.

Thanks very much - i was using a wide angle lens which made it look a bit worse than it really was....but it was pretty bad.

Not much happening right now here in Niseko windy warmish and no snow overnight - a few groomers perhaps.

2 metre base looks fantastic, excuse my noobness but how is niseko measuring up to previous seasons so far in relation to snow quality/depth? Looking good for the coming month? or perhaps under the standards of some of you locals?

It's been pretty good. The last three seasons average temps have been higher and there was less snowfall. So although a little late in starting conditions have been mostly good and at times about as good as it ever gets here. There's been a bit of a break from snowfalls this week which is not great but a decent system looks like it might start moving through on the 12th with plenty of snow to follow it. There's certainly been much bigger years in the past but we're on about average at the moment in terms of total snowfall.

After a while off the Mountain decided to try some back country fun

and headed out to Iwaonuppuri.

Jishipi_51.jpg

The weather was ok on the way up with patches of sunshine and the snow was ok in some areas and very wind affected in others but great to be out on the mountain hiking.

Jishipi_52.jpg

Jishipi_53.jpg

As we ascended the weather turned - super windy white out conditions.

Descending from the peak was a case of picking your way down and with the white out conditions was pretty disorientating.

After the first pitch the visibility improved and we were able to lean into our turns a bit more.

Jishipi_55.jpg

Jishipi_56.jpg

The final pitch down back was sweet - nice and steep with a decent layer of fast dry powder.

Jishipi_50.jpg

All in all not epic but great to be out there working for some turns and the best part.....hitting the onsen afterwards !

Jishipi_57.jpg