Will you be wearing a helmet this season?

roscoe this is not the only forum I frequent and sometimes I let my frustrations from discussions elsewhere flow into here. Believe me especially on Australian forums there's a lot of people who think wearing helmets should be compulsory.

Anyway here is something to ponder from the NSAA (National ski Association of America) about the effectiveness of helmets

Quote:
The NSAA urges skiers and riders to wear a helmet but stresses that people's behaviour on the slopes counts most, with skiing and snowboarding no more dangerous than other high-energy participation sports, with 39 deaths on average a year.

It cited researcher Jason Shealy, who studies ski-related injuries and found recent research indicated helmets cut the incidence of any head injuries by 30 to 50 per cent but these were the minor injuries and wearing helmets had not cut fatalities.

"The increase in the use of helmets has not reduced the overall number of skiing fatalities," the NSAA said in a statement. "More than half of the people involved in fatal accidents last season were wearing helmets."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If mandatory use of the available safety equipment - helmet, transceiver, shovel, probe plus skiing/riding with a partner - equates to unlimited access to terrain - conditions permitting - then I think that is a sensible compromise.

Fatalities, especially those perceived to be avoidable fatalities, have a negative impact on the financial success of a ski resort.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I've also been having a debate on another forum with people who would like to see the carrying of avi gear compulsory for those skiing out through the gates at Niseko. Despite Niseko not experiencing even one avi death since the inception of the Niseko Rules back in I think '02? Regardless of this incredibly good safety record those that want us to have gear keep pointing to the potential risk and the inevitability that one day someone will die.
What I don't understand is why people are so concerned about the safety of others? People they don't even know? One day someone, somewhere will die...um really who cares??
Is it really concern for others or just proving what a good convert you are to the nanny state? Pushing an ideology that you believe in on others?

Those of us who choose not to wear helmets or have avi gear don't try and force others to be like us. Why do others feel the need to force us to be like them?

I hate people who get uptight about avi gear here, 3 different people have come up to me (whilst I have been out of gates) and told me I should have gear, all of these 3 people were without a partner, 2 weren't wearing helmets. Sanctimonious idiots. I have done avi courses, I know how to use it, I just currently can't afford it or be bothered to carry it around.

That said, I wear a helmet most of the time, I have concussed myself enough with it on to know that I should wear one.

Of course when there hasn't been a single avi death in Niseko since the inception of the Niseko Rules around 8 years ago it's a bit hard to make the argument that all that gear should be required for safety reasons. Fully understandable if there were regular deaths from avi's.

I would argue that compulsory equipment carrying would result in more deaths. Then every punter on the hill would think that they were invincible and that there is nowhere they should not go because they have got a magical battery operated device that will save them from avalanches. You would see more people, emboldened by their "equipment", but with no real idea charging off into the real BC and getting into trouble. Also imagine trying to do a beacon search for your mate when you have 20 punters carrying rented equipment standing around that don’t know they should have their beacons switched off.

If someone wants to ski somewhere, they will regardless of whether they're carrying or not carrying the necessary equipment.

Carrying avalanche safety equipment will hopefully result in a successful search and digging out of a person caught in an avalanche.

And if not, then it makes body retrieval quicker and safer for the emergency authorities.

The man hours wasted and the risk to the searchers that you see in Europe is pathetic in my opinion.

I wear a helmet. I carry avalanche safety equipment. And by necessity I ski alone the majority of the time. I make that decision and evaluate the risks.

If I'm caught in an avalanche then that's my fault. And if someone comes to retrieve my body then hopefully I will be putting them in harm's way for the minimum time possible.

just to be clear I am not advocating not having gear - I am against making it compulsory and dishing it out to everyone on the hill regardless of whether they can use it or not. Gear without training almost useless.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
just to be clear I am not advocating not having gear - I am against making it compulsory and dishing it out to everyone on the hill regardless of whether they can use it or not. Gear without training almost useless.

Good point.

As a snow holiday maker rather than a season player I have found information about courses for this purpose a bit thin on the ground. It would be awesome if there were some short burst courses run regularly that were well advertised. Not a lot of holiday makers are wanting to give up say 3 full days riding (one course I saw somewhere...Switzerland I think...) of a weeks holiday to do a full course.

If the bigger resorts offered (and advertised so we knew about it) courses in segments such as "learn to use beacons", "use your beacon in a multiple burial", "basic risk assessment" ...you know...all the components of a full avie course, but in bite sized chunks.

It is not terribly hard core, but the majority of skiers and boarders are not terribly hardcore either. And while they may only do two or three components this year, they have learnt something and may build on it next season.

It would just be better if all the the easily accessible areas that lots of people ski were controlled properly then avalanches would not be an issue for holiday makers in Japan - but thats an entirely different can of worms I don't want to open.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag

Even gear with training can be useless. I'd love to see the stats of how many people die with full equipment, training and crew.
From the brief encounters in avi training that I've had ,it seems that they WILL always find your body, it's just weather they find it in time or not and weather it's been mangled by a tree.

Very happy to have had my helmet on yesterday as I slammed my head backwards damn hard, great precaution especially considering my low skill levels. May have really done some damage without it, maybe more then the self inflicted damage from the rasta bar last night. smile