Will you be wearing a helmet this season?

I'll be wearing a helmet on the slopes next week for the first time since I was 6 or 7 years old.

Warmth and comfort are what I see as the big plus along with the fact I won't need to keep adjusting my beanie to make sure my ear lobes are covered or worrying about taking my goggles off and leaving them somewhere as they're now latched on.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from two great weeks in Japan had the helmet on every day agree with NatsonSafari IT was the second thing I packed after my boots.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I do love to see Aussies jumping over each other trying to show just how incredibly responsible they are. It's ever so much fun. All hail the nanny state in all it's glory!! lol

what a rebel!

It's just funny seeing the effects of a nanny state on the way people think. I grew up in an Australia that had few rules that protected people from themselves. For instance I never had to wear a helmet whilst riding a bike as a child and no one even thought twice about it. Now if an Aussie sees someone riding a bike without a helmet they'll harp on endlessly about how incredibly stupid and irresponsible that person is. It's similar now with wearing a helmet whilst at the snow. If an Aussie saw a kid skiing without one they'd be outraged at the incredibly irresponsible parents allowing such foolhardy disregard for safety. I mean have they really all forgotten that when they skied as a kid they never wore a helmet?? Were their parents irresponsible fools?

The nanny state propaganda mindwashing has really changed Australia and not for the better in my opinion. Always considering the worst and taking into account all possible risks before doing stuff just takes the fun out of life for me.

Understand where you are coming from GN. Myself, I feel too "constricted" in a helmet on slope. That said, I'd not ride a motorcycle without one (apart from it being illegal, I'd rather not muss my hair wink ).

I guess that, until it becomes mandatory (by which time I hope I'll be in a retirement home and the only sliding I do will be on my own slops) I'll continue to dice with death and injury without one.

That's the thing though JA, if the die hard nanny staters have their way wearing helmets on the slopes will be made compulsory. Like any newly converts to a religion they want to convert the rest of us. They just can't undertand how we could not want to take all precautions to mitigate the risk of harm to ourselves and by means of rules, regulations and laws will slowly erode our ability to choose for ourselves the level of risk we are conformtable with. Australia is already so far down that road it's not funny.

Snowboarded for 20 years and never really seriously wore one. Never hit my head that hard.

Until last season, on a very small kicker that i had been doing all season. Broke some ribs and knocked myself out when i somehow launched wrong. On a simple straight air.

I learned my lesson and am wearing one in the park this year.

....well...I don't like being forced to wear a bike helmet...and I really stopped riding a bike when the law came in. I have a bike, I think I even have a helmet, but I am yet to ride my bike while wearing my helmet... Mainly because I like to ride local back streets to the cycle path and cruise that at a nice ladylike enjoyable pace.

However I would have liked a helmet back in 1987 when I was riding my deadly treadly to uni and I was hit in the back of the head by the overhang (wood I think) on the back of a tray ute. The young guys driving were hanging out the windows doing the idiot tradesman thing - anyone would think they had never seen a girl before - and drove too close to me as they went past and didn't allow for their illegally stacked load. True to form it was hit [swear in panic] and run.

No uni for me for the rest of the week as I rested at home with concussion.

However I am still not convinced that my recreational bike riding requires a helmet. I am very anti-nanny state.

But I DO prefer to ride with a helmet on (although I have chosen to ride without one in spring conditions (SO HOT). And I also think kids soft little noggins are best served by being encased in a helmet - especially as they tend to take stupid uncalculated risks more than an adult, and they don't notice their periphery well. AND if they end up with moosh for grey matter who do you think is going to spend the rest of their lives spoonfeeding them?

All good points Mama, however, it is a DECISION that should be made by a responsible person. For a child, that should be the parent. For an adult, that should be themselves. End of ...

[Aside, you've done your body some damages over the years, Mama. It's a wonder you're still with us, really wink ]

I agree with you JA.

I just re read my post and it is like a 5 yr old wrote it!! LOL I am really tired - yesterday was a big day. rolleyes

My points were meant to say what you did. doh

a) As an adult I don't like the bicycle helmet law, I don't like nanny states and like to decide for myself.

B) In deciding for myself on a snowboard I choose to ride with a helmet.

c) I think on both pushbikes and snowboards/ski's kids should have their parent decide for them, and given kids less robust skulls and our slightly more protectiveness of them given their tendency to do stoopid things we will more often err on the side of caution and equip the kids with a brain bucket. And I think this is a good choice.

After all I see lots of helmets on the winter olympians - and while our kids are not getting as much air or going as fast - they also have less skill lol

I've also been having a debate on another forum with people who would like to see the carrying of avi gear compulsory for those skiing out through the gates at Niseko. Despite Niseko not experiencing even one avi death since the inception of the Niseko Rules back in I think '02? Regardless of this incredibly good safety record those that want us to have gear keep pointing to the potential risk and the inevitability that one day someone will die.

What I don't understand is why people are so concerned about the safety of others? People they don't even know? One day someone, somewhere will die...um really who cares??

Is it really concern for others or just proving what a good convert you are to the nanny state? Pushing an ideology that you believe in on others?

Those of us who choose not to wear helmets or have avi gear don't try and force others to be like us. Why do others feel the need to force us to be like them?

Originally Posted By: JA

[Aside, you've done your body some damages over the years, Mama. It's a wonder you're still with us, really wink ]

Really...for my 40 yrs (41 next week) on this earth I have actually got thru relatively incident free.

Touch wood I have actually be very lucky.
My 10 yr old has had more broken bones than me!
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Is it really concern for others or just proving what a good convert you are to the nanny state?

Can't speak for others...there are undoubtedly lots of people who LOVE to control others and jump up and down. Know some myself! lol

But for me...I was a little concerned about 'going out thru gates' without avie gear, before I went there. It is fear of the unknown. I am sure there have been a few long time members here who have seen me go from nervous first timer to the snow enthusiast I am today. It has been a real progression. And a LOT of my growth in understanding happened on these forums when people debated things like this. I got to hear all sides and form opinions I was comfortable with. And then after gaining some actual experience my opinions have changed even more.

I no longer think avie gear is necessary out the gates in Niseko.
Having confidently ridden a lot of that terrain I now see it is total overkill (at least the area's that I went).
I would still consider it for Mizuno no Sawa after seeing the report about the fellow falling thru the hole - but only if it was unguided (the guides are carrying - so my pack would be redundant anyway).

I think maintaining an open mind is important.
And I know you will take Avie gear in certain situations GN, so you are not saying "Sod it, I love to live on the edge".... but you have the experience to know where the gear is not needed.

My 2c dance

Ohhh... and JA!
I did not have a BIG DAY on the booze! lol I had one swimming carnival to sit thru in 36C heat 10.30am to 3.30pm, then race home grab 12 yr old and get to challenge stadium for 1.5 hrs of water polo (which I also watched in the heat), and then immediately inside for the senior school swimming carnival 6 - 9.30pm ... home about 10pm overheated, sweaty, not enough water to drink, late dinner, and speakers/kids screaming ringing in my ears! THAT kind of big day lol

My decision to not take avi gear out through the gates is solely based on my experience here and weighing up the risks. I fully understand if others feel safer with it and support their decision to have it. It just annoys me when others try and claim people like me are irresponsible and thoughtless. It's this need to try and shame us into thinking the way they do and create rules to protect us from ourselves that really annoys me.

You have lost me GN. who said helmets are compulsory.I wear my helmet be cause I wish to.its heaps better than a bennie for many resons not just to protect against head knocks.Maybe Japan will make people take avigear and helmets out thru the gates.But first they should stop the local guys.taking their girl friends down slopes their not ready for.Nozawa saturday what a nightmare.Sky line doge the nutter bodies every where. only got smashed in once glad I had my helmet

LOL! So true Roscoe....but not just in Japan ... I saw this poor girl in Thredbo crying her eyes out, she couldn't even stand up on her board with the heel edge dug in - like total flat/no lifts/beginner beginner stuff...and the boyfriend was grabbing her by the scruff of her jacket and dragging her down the slope.

I think GN was just expressing his frustration at others making out that he is irresponsible if he CHOOSES not to wear a helmet (or take avie gear). His 'nanny state' issues are not because of this thread - they are because of years of judgement from people who DO want to wear helmets/take avie gear.

GN...if you and I were going backcountry together I would love you to take avie gear to dig me out, and I would certainly take it to dig you out - but buddy ya on your own in Strawberry Fields! lol

Thanks Mamabear.Iam not trying to argue with GN.I wonder how many friendships end on the slopes or if its away to find out if he or she is a keeper.

I think the best thing a boyfriend/girlfriend can do for their partner is palm them off on a really nice and patient instructor biggrin Bit of eye candy doesn't go astray either. lol

Thing that shocked me is we saw them from the lift first, and they had gone up the Kosi Quad, they were on a green run, but it is certainly not a 'first timers' location. They needed to start on Friday Flat, then get the Cruiser happening before they hit up the stuff off the Kosi lift. So he took her right out of her depth immediately....dumb dumb dumb. I would have loved to have seen him getting her on and off the lift!

On our way down we rode past them, and she was telling him in no uncertain terms how much she hated him! doh

Funnily enough she wasn't wearing a helmet, and when she fell and pulled him over his snowboard hit her on the head. slap