Will you be wearing a helmet this season?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback - yes it alters your hearing a tad. Yes it is 'different'. Takes getting used to. Took me until recently to manage riding with a loaded backpack and managing with it on chairs etc - helmet was easier transition. It will defo help with your body heat retention.

Gareth your pretty head is worth way more than $100 - $200, you just don't want to give up the sexy green beanie, you tool!!! Your family want you compus-mentus!

We have never used them before, but will be this trip.

We are learning to snowboard and think that any protection we can get will be usefull.

I just hope that we only keep our injuries to ourselves???

Maybe everyone on the slopes when we are should wear helmets.

Where and when are you going? lol

Highly recommended for heat retention in Japan!

For learning to snowboard...

things I did not have and wish I had at the time are:

Impact Shorts: Padded bike shorts for under your ski pants that are designed for people learning park manouvres - to protect thier butt bits...January/Feb in Niseko not really any problem in that area - but thredbo ice pack, and a few icy mornings in April in Niseko did give me butt grief.

Gloves with wrist guards inbuilt (or stand alone wrist guards): This applied Pow or Ice for different reasons. Ice the impact can break your wrist - ouch! And in the POW I found the amount of times I had to push myself up onto my toe edge to get up after falling, and pushed thru the powder with my arms left my wrists pretty sore at the end of the evening - not sure if the wrist guards will help with this, but worth a shot. I am not buying wrist guards now though, as I don't fall near as often, and rarely put my hand down if I do.

Voltarin: Anti inflammatory tablets and gel - this is your best friend before bed, and again in the morning. Also highly recommend an Onsen and a proper stretch before bed.

Helmet from the get go: When I arrived in April Niseko years ago I was arriving as the spectator of the group - no intention to learn to board (or ski) - so I had not gear except the jacket and pants (to stay warm). I learnt that trip WITHOUT a helmet. The next trip I felt restricted wearing the helmet, and had a few panics feeling I could hear less and see less. Got used to it in a few days (and had to set a good example for my kids) - but now I love it, and will always wear one unless it is prohibitively hot.

Have FUN smile

Helmet with built in speakers. Nothing better than a charge through the trees, the park or off the Peak with some pumping tunes.

I wore a Gath surfing a few times and agree it messes with your balance and perception, but have no such issue with a snowboarding helmet.

I can't understand the downside except if it is particularly hot, which is generally not the case in Japan.

I'd also suggest knee pads. For beginners it'll help prevent your knees from getting raw since you'll be falling and getting up a lot. For more advanced boarders that have beginner friends it's much more comfortable waiting for them biggrin

Mamabear, I've been told that broken wrists are the most common SB injury, so wrist guards seem like a good idea. But an interesting question is if it's a common injury among more experienced boarders.

Anyways, I'm of the philosophy that I've only got one body so I try and pad it out as much as possible. I've already got a knee that bothers me, don't need to add any other body parts to the list.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Mamabear, I've been told that broken wrists are the most common SB injury, so wrist guards seem like a good idea.

There is a school of thought which says wrist guards *cause* broken wrists. But I still wear mine even though I'm a pretty experienced boarder. Feels weird without them, though I do wonder a bit what they're supposed to do as the guard is only on the inside of the wrist and I'd have thought it's more common for the hand to get bend away from the arm in a fall.

I must get up to 50 or 60 kph on piste at times; as fast as the pushie or sportsbike on which you'd be crazy not to wear head protection.

Hit the hardpack with the head at speed and you're in trouble. Get hit by some out of control eedjit when you're recovering from a faceplant ... same.

I'd also suggest knee pads. For beginners it'll help prevent your knees from getting raw since you'll be falling and getting up a lot. For more advanced boarders that have beginner friends it's much more comfortable waiting for them biggrin

I knew there was something else I forgot! That was it!!
My knee's were BLACK after the first few trips. I DO have a blood clotting disorder that makes a small bruise a massive one, but still it was pretty impressive.
Knee pads are the go - and they add to the insulation smile

Papa uses wrist guard gloves. I don't.
Originally Posted By: tripler
Mamabear, I've been told that broken wrists are the most common SB injury, so wrist guards seem like a good idea.

There is a school of thought which says wrist guards *cause* broken wrists. But I still wear mine even though I'm a pretty experienced boarder. Feels weird without them, though I do wonder a bit what they're supposed to do as the guard is only on the inside of the wrist and I'd have thought it's more common for the hand to get bend away from the arm in a fall.

but when you fall with these on, its the hard plastic that takes the heat, not your wrsit bones. So although your hand is bent slightly back, it doesn't bend any further back because the plastic "bone" has absorbed the impact
Originally Posted By: Ziggy
I must get up to 50 or 60 kph on piste at times; as fast as the pushie or sportsbike on which you'd be crazy not to wear head protection.

Hit the hardpack with the head at speed and you're in trouble. Get hit by some out of control eedjit when you're recovering from a faceplant ... same.

In Japan people, including kids, rarely wear bike helmets and I don't think they consider themselves crazy. When I grew up in Aus none of us wore helmets either. People here often don't wear seatbelts in the back seats of cars either and it's not unusual to see kids jumping around in the back or mothers holding a baby in their lap in the front seat. Most Aussies would be aghast to see such things. Personally I like living in a place where there aren't nanny state laws governing nearly your every move and you're not made to feel irresponsible for not taking every possible precaution. Just one more reason I prefer living in Japan to Aus.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
but when you fall with these on, its the hard plastic that takes the heat, not your wrsit bones. So although your hand is bent slightly back, it doesn't bend any further back because the plastic "bone" has absorbed the impact

So broken wrists are impact rather than snapping breaks? Then the inner wrist guard makes sense. Interesting. I've also seen gloves with the guard on the outer wrist.

Well it comes down to How much is your head worth...expensive head=expensive helmet....and so on down the list...And even i can work out i dont require any expense in that dept.But thats not to say some f--- stick on a board wont take me out though...maybe in that case i'll consider one.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

In Japan people, including kids, rarely wear bike helmets and I don't think they consider themselves crazy. When I grew up in Aus none of us wore helmets either. People here often don't wear seatbelts in the back seats of cars either and it's not unusual to see kids jumping around in the back or mothers holding a baby in their lap in the front seat. Most Aussies would be aghast to see such things. Personally I like living in a place where there aren't nanny state laws governing nearly your every move and you're not made to feel irresponsible for not taking every possible precaution. Just one more reason I prefer living in Japan to Aus.

This is a joke, right? I think you must be cherry picking the laws that you like to break (or rules that you like to bend smile ). Japan is such a nanny state. Maybe in different ways from Australia but I find there are so many ridiculous laws that are completely unnecessary to 'protect' her citizens.